User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

:clap: such an excellant , articulate, and well thought out post. Unfortunately #1 applies directly to me ! This is my first time posting (I'm the type to listen and shut the f*%# up ) but this one hit so close to home I had to comment. Fourteen yrs in trucking and I finally realize the wisdom of all you're saying here. Great work record , clean mvr, and very ashamed to own up to all the companies I''ve been to. I have quit good jobs for really stupid reasons. If it wasn't for my superior work record I wouldn't be able to get a job driving a garbage truck.So sad it's taken so long to figure out and fix the real problem (ME) . I hope some other potentially good drivers take heed and make the neccasary adjusments to better themselves first and foremost. It would be so much more profitable to them. I've learn to be content where I'm at , doing what I'm doing and getting the bills paid ! I applaude you for your insight and williness to share useful info with others:bow: . I When I decide to move from where I'm at it will be a career advancement not a lateral move . Thanks !!!!!

Last edited by can-do; 12-30-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonceDeLeon View Post
I like the "free agency" aspect of trucking. Prior to "holding a steering wheel" I was all wrapped up in a career and doing all the "right" things. In trucking, you can always tell them to screw off and have another job tomorrow. Granted, I haven't told anyone to go screw themselves, because that isn't me.
Well Ponce up till yesterday (Tuesday) I had never told a compny to screw themselves either (...well there was one other but he still calls me...and I know that in the next few minutes when he reads this he'll call again to rub it in.) but I had reached the breaking point and I was done no matter what the cost to my record.

As for LS letting trucks run OOR miles, I don't know what the official policy is and now I don't care. I do know that talking to drivers that have been there for a while that the company has changed drastically in the last year and they no longer have a driver first attitude. They have a waiting list of drivers wanting to go to work but sooner or later that is going to dry up and they will wind up out of business or have to change thier attitude about drivers.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Rookie

Please dont take this personal. I have more than enough problems of my own, I dont need in someone elses life, assure me.

One post said about the "free agency" aspect of trucking. Dont get me wrong, I run regional, mainly in and out of NYC area, however I sure miss some nice runs to other parts of the US, that I dont get, so sure I understand wanting to move around.

This, however,is the main reason that I feel more companies dont treat drivers better. Since alot of drivers will just up and leave(even with a notice) its hard for the company to invest so much in the individual, when it can be lost so quick. A buddy is leaving his current company because he wants to switch from Flat to Freight box. So no matter what the company does or doesnt do, his decision isnt because of the company. He has ran flat for 7 years, and just wants a change of pace. He knows he may or may not like it, but its worth a shot.

My main point concerning job floating is simple. Dont blame the company for your problems if your unwilling to work things through or sick it out long enough to call a spade a spade. I understand some people just like to change pace.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Rookie

Posts like this tend to hit home for me too.

I have had too many jobs since I started trucking. I worked the same job for almost 12 years UNTIL I got my CDL lol. Since then I pulled a van for 5 months and left to pull flats because I was flat out going broke pulling a van, no miles = no money in my pocket.

When I started pulling flats I became a truckstop champion because I NEVER had freight. 400 mile runs don't bother me at all as long as there is one every day because it's still making me money. When I have 2-3 a week though and the other 4 days are spent waiting on a load spending money to eat and shower and not earning a dime I tend to get fed up after 2 months. I would have to call my DM 3 days after payday for an advance so I could eat hahahaha, that's just not good business and it wasn't paying the bills so I left.

Now I have spent 6 months yanking tanks in the oil field and love it but it's now dying out as well, I went from 70 hours a week to 35 or so and am currently on vacation because I can make more money on vacation than I can working 5 hours a day.

It's making me want to get back OTR but it seems no one has freight to move, no one is making a living, and I just need to get back into aviation even though I love this job.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I recently had a driver who needed to be home for some personal business. I could not find a load that would get him home so I deadheaded him at a cost of about $400 in fuel. Some carriers are more accomodating than others.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler View Post

#6...The term owner operator is mostly used incorrectly. If you are leased to a company, you are a truck owner, they are the operator. If you run under your own Operating Authority with DOT/MCC numbers, you can call yourself an owner/op.
I thought if you were leased to someone you are an O/O. If you have your own authority then you are a motor carrier.

Who is right???

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I thought if you were leased to someone you are an O/O. If you have your own authority then you are a motor carrier.

Who is right???
LOL. I remember this discussion from the Steve Booth days.

If you have your own authority, you are a motor carrier. If you also drive that truck yourself, you are an owner operator as well. If you have someone drive the truck for you, you are a motor carrier only.

If you are leased to a company, you are an owner operator. If you lease a truck from that company, you are a lease operator. If you own and drive a truck just out of boredom, or to see the country, you are a hobby trucker, no matter whether you have your own authority or not.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Board Regular

I'm starting to wonder if i'm cut out for trucking.
for the record, i've never been in any one place for more than 3 years, and i'm starting to get an itch.
I did tanker for about 6 months, it was OK, but i took a mail job running twice a week to detroit.
however, winter is really starting to drag, and michigan is just sadistic with road maintenence.
that, and it seems like little things are starting to bug me, like sharing a truck. the other driver has much higher standards than do i, and it seems he thinks he owns the truck and he's just letting me borrow it.
the big benefit to driving truck is not getting hassled.

I'm good at driving, the money is fine, especially right now. However, i'm getting a wandering eye. I just don't want to become a job hopper, as that will lead nowhere.

I highly doubt i'd ever own a truck, unless it was doing some sort of dedicated mail run. Got a wife and kid, and i've decided I want to earn the maximum income for the least amount of work. that may sound lazy, but who wants to work for free?

I've started kicking around the idea of getting some other job within trucking, but not driving. I'm thinking of basically combining experience in transportation with some sort of education to move in to other areas.

I guess i'm just bored, maybe i need a hobby. maybe i'll feel better once we get a break from snow and ice and slippery roads. seriously, 3-4 times a week the first 100 miles of I-94 in michigan is a skating rink.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreddo View Post
I'm starting to wonder if i'm cut out for trucking.
for the record, i've never been in any one place for more than 3 years, and i'm starting to get an itch.
I did tanker for about 6 months, it was OK, but i took a mail job running twice a week to detroit.
however, winter is really starting to drag, and michigan is just sadistic with road maintenence.
that, and it seems like little things are starting to bug me, like sharing a truck. the other driver has much higher standards than do i, and it seems he thinks he owns the truck and he's just letting me borrow it.
the big benefit to driving truck is not getting hassled.

I'm good at driving, the money is fine, especially right now. However, i'm getting a wandering eye. I just don't want to become a job hopper, as that will lead nowhere.

I highly doubt i'd ever own a truck, unless it was doing some sort of dedicated mail run. Got a wife and kid, and i've decided I want to earn the maximum income for the least amount of work. that may sound lazy, but who wants to work for free?

I've started kicking around the idea of getting some other job within trucking, but not driving. I'm thinking of basically combining experience in transportation with some sort of education to move in to other areas.

I guess i'm just bored, maybe i need a hobby. maybe i'll feel better once we get a break from snow and ice and slippery roads. seriously, 3-4 times a week the first 100 miles of I-94 in michigan is a skating rink.
the first 100 miles on I-94 in Michigan turns your truck into a rattle box, enough to detach a retina! :hellno: I so understand what you are feeling. That run has to be about the most boring run in the world. I use to do it 2x a day. I don't miss it at all.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I often get the feeling that many drivers expect constant reinforcement from their employers. If you want that, the you need to go into the military. Then you can get your daily reinforcement comments, letters of commendation, and medals.

Trucking is not the same animal. After 2 and 1/2 decades at this one thing is clear to me. If you can do your job well and be satisfied with your own personal accomplishments, you will do ok. If you can do all this exceptionally, you will be in demand and you can get a lot of help from those you work for and with in time of need. Of course, this is more prevalent in smaller carriers where they know your name. If you can't find satisfaction in dealing with your customers, then stay away from trucking. I deal with a group of excellent customers that I enjoy seeing. Attitude is everything. A good analogy to all this is farming. You are not going to get acolades from your livestock, crops, or equipment. You have to find the satisfaction in your individual accomplishments. You have to motivate yourself to get up in the morning and go redo that section of fence that needs rebuilt or get the skid loader out and scoop livestock crap. Meanwhile, it is going to be below freezing and you have cattle that are calving.

Oh boy, truckers have it so rough. Guess because of growing up on a family farm and serving 7 years in an Army recon unit at an average of $15 a DAY in pay has made me so that trucking is not really that bad. I am making more than I have in previous years, but yeah, I have to put forth the effort.

Boys and Girls... it's all about a work ethic and attitude. Period.