User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Lone Star Transportation

Their website is sparse......did the search on here and did not come up with much. I've only managed to corner one of their drivers and he had nothing but positive things to say. Spoke to one of their recruiters and terminal managers and got the usual "greatest thing since sliced bread" routine.

Anyone have first had knowledge/experience with them?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Lone Star Transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Their website is sparse......did the search on here and did not come up with much. I've only managed to corner one of their drivers and he had nothing but positive things to say. Spoke to one of their recruiters and terminal managers and got the usual "greatest thing since sliced bread" routine.

Anyone have first had knowledge/experience with them?
I know a guy who was leased to ACE Transportation in Houston, who switched to Lonestar last year. He was able to save his truck and his house with the increase in revenue. Had he stayed at Ace...he woulda lost it all. He pulls a 48 flat.

There is another Lonestar driver I know, lives in Jasper. He bought 50 acres in 03...has paid it off and is on the way to being able to pay cash to build a new house. He only does heavuhaul though.

Wish I had better to tell you about them.

LandStar fall through?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
I know a guy who was leased to ACE Transportation in Houston, who switched to Lonestar last year. He was able to save his truck and his house with the increase in revenue. Had he stayed at Ace...he woulda lost it all. He pulls a 48 flat.

There is another Lonestar driver I know, lives in Jasper. He bought 50 acres in 03...has paid it off and is on the way to being able to pay cash to build a new house. He only does heavuhaul though.

LandStar fall through?
Well it sounds like at least those guys you know are doing alright over there then. The one driver I did speak to said basically the same thing, that the money was good, people were great, and he could run as hard or as little as he wanted.....that they had tons and tons of freight all with decent rates.

Landstar is still on the table, one thing that bothers me about them already is that they have yet to come out and give me a list of "things" they need from me, instead they tell me they need this or that.....I send it to them and then 2-3 days later they say great, now we need this, another 2-3 days later the process repeats.....driving me crazy!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:

LandStar fall through?
Well it sounds like at least those guys you know are doing alright over there then. The one driver I did speak to said basically the same thing, that the money was good, people were great, and he could run as hard or as little as he wanted.....that they had tons and tons of freight all with decent rates.

Landstar is still on the table, one thing that bothers me about them already is that they have yet to come out and give me a list of "things" they need from me, instead they tell me they need this or that.....I send it to them and then 2-3 days later they say great, now we need this, another 2-3 days later the process repeats.....driving me crazy!!!
Talk with a couple of the terminals near you for Lonestar...find out which are company and which are "Lease" operators. Lease in to a "Company" operated.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Talk with a couple of the terminals near you for Lonestar...find out which are company and which are "Lease" operators. Lease in to a "Company" operated.
I haven't visited the terminal that is near me yet, but did speak with the terminal manager. She was very friendly and from what I could tell over the phone (for whatever that's worth) seemed very genuine.

From what I gather, they are a medium sized company and therefore it is not that easy to run into their drivers out there on the road.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 AM

I ran into one of their company drivers in Houston a few months back who complained that he got put into a terminal (the one in Lone Star, TX) were the Terminal Manager owned most of the trucks and gave his trucks the good freight. Leaving the company drivers with anything else left over.

I just told him "that sucked" and went back into my truck. I've learned to take a driver who complains to a total stranger with a huge grain of salt.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouthdriver
I just told him "that sucked" and went back into my truck. I've learned to take a driver who complains to a total stranger with a huge grain of salt.
yep......can't believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear :lol:
Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
yep......can't believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear :lol:
Yeah. That's my usual response to anyone wanting to talk my ear off when I only said hi to be nice.

And we had been sitting at that pipe yard for a few hours (at least I was-he claimed to be there for a few more before I even got there.)
Old 09-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I ran into one of their company drivers in Houston a few months back who complained that he got put into a terminal (the one in Lone Star, TX) were the Terminal Manager owned most of the trucks and gave his trucks the good freight. Leaving the company drivers with anything else left over.

That was my point in checking on "Company" versus "Lease" terminal. Not all "Lease" terminals share the decent freight with outside trucks. It isn't always in their best interest.

With a company terminal, all the frieght is company freight...therefore every truck serves the company interest.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Just got a message from Lone Star telling me that I have a green light for orientation on Monday the 15th..... but before I commit, I was hoping to hear some more about them.

All I know right now is what the recruiter and terminal manager has to say. In fact, the terminal manager was telling me that the average line haul rate is over 2.50 a mile for legal loads. Would like to know if that is really true as well as any other info......be it good, bad or ugly.

So if anyone else has some first hand knowledge about them, I sure could use it ASAP.

Thanks in advance........

"Orangetxguy" and "downsouthdriver", thanks for the info you all provided thus far.