LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
8) How about 63 X 41.5 (practical miles) = $26.14? 8) Keep in mind that the 63 mph is an "average speed" for the day...unless loaded and in the mountains. My truck tops out @ 68, locks 65 on the cruise..... Oh, I really don't give a :dung: about passing anyone.... though I do it quite often. 30 cpm.... I wouldn't even get out of bed for that.... wouldn't even touch the application.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You got it Skywalker! Plus I've read your threads about all the accessorial pay! :wink:

Actually my truck will do 68 on the pedal, 65 on the cruise. And I'm currently at 51.6 cpm and still climbing the pay scale. No complaints here either. Considering who I work for I still cant believe they haven't turned down our trucks yet. Go ahead and pass me! I don't give a :dung: either! Better yet we'll just cruise on down the road together, I'll even buy you a coffee.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Speed can be good sometimes but not most of them. My truck has a 5x4 with two speed rears and a 600 Cat with Pittsburg Power, theoreticaly (by the numbers) it should go 110 in high/high/high but I have never tried it, took it to a little over 90? once and that was enough, cuz I always remember the little disclaimer on the invoices for truck tires that says "Rated for 65 MPH" What does that mean ? They know it will hold together at that speed but above that you are on your own. Ever had a steer tire blow at 75 ? Hmmm what are caps rated at ?? Best one is 45. All the biggies run caps on trailers and drivers and not gona be to long before they start looking at black box/Qualcom and see what the truck was doing when it blew a cap and start charging drivers.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

I slowed down quite a few years ago and only run around 60 anymore. I tend to average closer to 60 while the gap between running and average speed increases when running fast. I don't have to fight with the traffic, wait for a slower vehicle to get out of the way in the fast lane, etc. I am more relaxed at the end of the day. And not running fast hasn't hurt my earnings. I average between 145K and 150K miles a year running this way and still am by the house a couple of times a week and off every weekend and holiday. And I am not worried about getting "run over". They have 60 ft of trailer and rear of tractor to get to me, I only have 6 ft of hood to get to them. (do ya' feel lucky, punk?) :P

Besides, it's job security. I get 20-30 percent longer life on my tires, average in the mid sevens (hand calculated on all miles and includes any idle time), and have a lot less maintenance issues with the trucks. Not to mention almost 25 years without a moving violation or preventable accident. As was so eloquently stated in a western movie I saw recently... "slow down, you'll get a more harmoneous outcome".

I have no problem with anyone that "feels the need for speed". And I am definately against any mandatory speed limiters and nationwide 55 mph ideas. I like the idea that drivers can make up their own mind. After a lot of years of running like a rodent in a cage on a wheel, I have found I can be just as productive and have a better experience while doing things more moderately. To each his own.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Copperhead, how come you are useing my baby picture ???? My mother is PIS"ED
Old 07-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Companies with 75mph+ trucks and health insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan
Anyone work for one of these companies. If so please let me know. I don't do slow trux. Not really interested in bonuses of incentives. Need .30cpm or over. No flatbeds.

Just want to do the speed limit WHATEVER it is!!!

I might even get u a referral bonus.

Thanks

mine is governed at 84 and we have insurance but we only have one yard and it's in North Georgia, that's a long way to drive to work..
Old 07-31-2008, 02:44 AM
Board Regular

You ALMOST had me there . . .

And the bad thing is, I looked at it and my first thought wasn't klicks- I said, "there's no WAY he's only at 1500 rpm!"

-p.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:12 PM

I dont know of any per say. But you may want to try buying your own truck and running 75 mph, for about a month. Im sure your fuel bill will be higher then your net. :lol:
Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Old 08-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: ?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
Good luck with that one. :roll: With the price of fuel these days, companies are slowing their fleets to try to keep afloat. If you do find one of those BBR companies don't get too comfortable. They will be bankrupt in a short time.

By the way....I am in a 66 mph governed truck and still average between 14-16,000 miles per month. Why go any faster? It's just more frustrating anyway.
Wrong, what's frustrating is when you in your 66 mph truck, pull out to pass a 65 mph truck you tie up the road for 5 miles. And god forbid ur heavy and he's light and you hit an incline, that 5 minutes turns into 10 and you have a parade behind you. That's why i don't do slow trux anymore. I drove one ONCE and it was a fight ALL DAY LONG. Never did I get to kick back and enjoy the drive. I was always passing a truck that was only 2 or 3 mph slower than me.

IMO: when you pull out in the left lane to pass, get out, get around, and get over. Tying up traffic like that is an accident waiting to happen because some dip s**t in a 4 wheeler is going to do something stupid and he's going to end up under your trailer.

Also IMO: the only reason companies castrate their trucks is to screw the driver. It's not for insurance,or fuel mileage, because a truck at 75 or the ability to go that fast allows the motor to run more efficient instead of choking it down. Also most drivers that have 65...etc mph trucks, run against the governor all the time. What are you going to do when you blow a steer and hit the gas and there's nothing there?????? You're going in the ditch!!!
Running at 75 doesn't let the engine run more efficient. It just uses more fuel. I have the same 75+ mph trucks passing me a half dozen times per day racing from truckstop to truckstop. All the while I'm puttin' along at 66 getting 7.6 mpg average while you probably ran the same amount of miles for the day that I did and averaged maybe 5.0 mpg if you were lucky. Whose fuel bill would you rather be paying?
If ur getting 7.6 loaded, i'm the richest man in the universe. Come on now..
75 and health insurance you got:
Midwest Carriers (or something to that effect)out of Kaukana , Wisconsin
White Farms out of Nebraska
Western Distributing out of Colorado .