Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Headed to Marten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartenDrvrCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlighting
I will be starting with them on july 29th. I can say that i'm very glad they called me, yes they are a OTR carrier but i have not heard anything near as bad as some others OTR carries.
Enjoy your time here with Marten. Been wtih them 3 years. Live out south of Reno, and i do all 48, but looking to move to westen regional. went to oreintation in Wilsonville. ignor the warning to stay out of the hotel bar, your gonna end up there anyways. lol
Just make sure you make it on time to class each day Sober.lol
Get your loads done ontime every time, and the Mondovi 'knitting circle' stays happy. And keep your dispatcher updated on your hours. They get bent out of shape when ya don't.

If you live out west, get ready to see alot of the midwest, east coast. I leave out mostly fron Cen. CA. and get sent straight east to Ohio and that neck of the woods, then get stuck in the midewest circle jerk, till it's time to come home in 3 weeks. Thus the reason i want to try the western regional. Sick of going east of that gutter called the Miss. River.
How are you going to get western regional on a reno domicile? Just curious.They usually dont let regional drivers take trucks home,gota park em at the ontario terminal.

There are two known custs in the Reno area, drop n hooks. So wouldn';t it make since to bobtail only 60 miles to the house, than to bbobtail / dead head back to Ontario or Stockton?
I have pulled P/G loads into both the Walmart DC east of Reno, and the Kmart DC in Sparks, drop my trailer, go home for a couple of days, and then go back and get my trailer, and then get back on the road.
I believe there iss one or two based Reno drivers on regional, and they do get to take thier trucks home with them. Then when they come back out, there are a couple of shippers in the area, they load out at.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I will be starting with them on july 29th. I can say that i'm very glad they called me, yes they are a OTR carrier but i have not heard anything near as bad as some others OTR carries.
Enjoy your time here with Marten. Been wtih them 3 years. Live out south of Reno, and i do all 48, but looking to move to westen regional. went to oreintation in Wilsonville. ignor the warning to stay out of the hotel bar, your gonna end up there anyways. lol
Get your loads done ontime every time, and the Mondovi 'knitting circle' stays happy. And keep your dispatcher updated on your hours. They get bent out of shape when ya don't.

If you live out west, get ready to see alot of the midwest, east coast. I leave out mostly fron Cen. CA. and get sent straight east to Ohio and that neck of the woods, then get stuck in the midewest circle jerk, till it's time to come home in 3 weeks. Thus the reason i want to try the western regional. Sick of going east of that gutter called the Miss. River.
How are you going to get western regional on a reno domicile? Just curious.They usually dont let regional drivers take trucks home,gota park em at the ontario terminal.

There are two known custs in the Reno area, drop n hooks. So wouldn';t it make since to bobtail only 60 miles to the house, than to bbobtail / dead head back to Ontario or Stockton?
I have pulled P/G loads into both the Walmart DC east of Reno, and the Kmart DC in Sparks, drop my trailer, go home for a couple of days, and then go back and get my trailer, and then get back on the road.
I believe there iss one or two based Reno drivers on regional, and they do get to take thier trucks home with them. Then when they come back out, there are a couple of shippers in the area, they load out at.
So when does making since and dispatch have something in common? I dont speak of what "should" be or what would make more "sense",im stating what the head of west coast regional told me in orientation along with the others,and then what I saw and what the other drivers told me,and then when I went local at marten thats what the policy still was.Also like I said,they usually DO NOT put drivers who are based 50 miles outside of ontario on regional.So with that theory there wouldnt be a need to let a driver bobtail home from reno/sparks if he doesnt live in that area anyway?Because he wouldnt of been offered regional. You are a marten regional driver?And as a sidenote,what well known customers are you speaking of up there? Wal mart? Because Ive unloaded out of there a few times,and it was always LIVE.And why would a driver have to bobtail out of the reno area back to ontario or stockton??? there is plenty of freight of backhauled out of there?so im not sure why your conclusion would be to dead head back to ontario or stockon?where did you come up with that? In fact you just answered it for yourself,you said there is plenty of shippers out there that drivers "load out" of when they come off hometime,well why couldnt they just load out of those same places immediately after they deliver?or shortly there after?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think you only have to park the truck at a terminal if you live within 70 miles of it. That's the last thing I heard. They would be limited on regional drivers if everyone had to park at a terminal. Maybe they have some requirement for regional like living near a freight lane ? 8) 8)
True,but thats why they usually dont hire drivers that are domiciled further than 50 miles from ontario,ca for there southwest regional fleet. Keri serum used to be the head of southwest regional,then it was Troy,now its bryan dunham out of oregon.So there really isnt gona be a "southwest regional" at all,just a western regional.But as of late last year marten was only hiring drivers who lived within a 50 mile radius of the ontario yard.But with the new take over of the regional fleet out of oregon the western regional fleet is going to expand to 6 western versus how It was up until this year which was cali,nevada and arizona (no further than phoenix)So they should be more lenient with drivers taking trucks home,I remember going to the ontario yard and having NO place to park at the terminal because all the regional trucks would be parked there and drivers gone for the weekend because they wouldnt let us take trucks home.anywho,be safe out there TK 8)
I thought a guy named Eric was over the Western Region?
Wrong once again,eric is a dispatcher for the fleet,bryan is his boss.Just ask him.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46
Why do they switch managers so often ?
Well heres a quick break down of how it went,first we started with keri serum.She was a real piece of work,got into with almost ALL the drivers.Then she got transferred,then ALI and mike took over for her mostly,i truly cant answer why they couldnt handle the fleet,but after them bryan dunham took over another guys place who was over them all, which was "troy".In order to I guess streamline things when troy quit this year they gave bryan all of west coast,including the dedicated account over in carson at general mills,and the local work out of so cal.However I cant say anything bad about bryan,he is a really great person,took care of all my problems and payroll issues when they occured.He took over a giant mess that was handed over to him.Including the f-d up payroll system that is now in place,regional/local drivers took a hefty pay cut this year with the massive overhaul in pay structure.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Including the f-d up payroll system that is now in place,regional/local drivers took a hefty pay cut this year with the massive overhaul in pay structure.
Excuse me! :shock: A hefty pay cut?? This year? Great timing huh? You are kidding MDCA, I just know that you are.

I bet this is going over well within the ranks. :evil:

I would be very interested to hear some of the details surrounding this Marten pay cut. Overhaul in pay structure=major screwing.:x

Fill us in!! Please.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46
Why do they switch managers so often ?
Well heres a quick break down of how it went,first we started with keri serum.She was a real piece of work,got into with almost ALL the drivers.Then she got transferred,then ALI and mike took over for her mostly,i truly cant answer why they couldnt handle the fleet,but after them bryan dunham took over another guys place who was over them all, which was "troy".In order to I guess streamline things when troy quit this year they gave bryan all of west coast,including the dedicated account over in carson at general mills,and the local work out of so cal.However I cant say anything bad about bryan,he is a really great person,took care of all my problems and payroll issues when they occured.He took over a giant mess that was handed over to him.Including the f-d up payroll system that is now in place,regional/local drivers took a hefty pay cut this year with the massive overhaul in pay structure.
Interesting...

I hope they dont eff wit the OTR drivers...this is a pretty good job IMHO
Old 07-20-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Including the f-d up payroll system that is now in place,regional/local drivers took a hefty pay cut this year with the massive overhaul in pay structure.
Excuse me! :shock: A hefty pay cut?? This year? Great timing huh? You are kidding MDCA, I just know that you are.

I bet this is going over well within the ranks. :evil:

I would be very interested to hear some of the details surrounding this Marten pay cut. Overhaul in pay structure=major screwing.:x

Fill us in!! Please.
Sure thing,well heres how it went,since the western regional started a few years back they paid us all on PERCENTAGE. %27 of each load was what we got on everything.For instance some good loads I got were something from carson general mills to wal mart up there near sparks,Took about a day to get up there,paid 320 bucks!Now,dont get me wrong,of course all these loads didnt pay so good,in fact,back hauls out of az only paid about 100 bucks,but that didnt matter because we were getting at LEAST 200 bucks or more to drive out there from ontario/l.a area. Good money.You could clear about 800 bucks a week EASILY and still get home at least for 34,just running up north and to AZ.Now,heres what changed,they took away percentage pay on ANY load over 100 miles,which was pretty much ALL our loads.Now,the western regional at marten is so enclosed that we only drove in cali,some parts of nevada and no further in AZ than phoenix.So its IMPOSSIBLE to get decent mileage off of such a restricted regional radius.So for a further break down,regional drivers went from making between 750-1,000 a week to making about 450-500 before taxes.And that is the truth.I know this because alot of my friends who were on it quit,alot of them left and hired on at Mclanes in san bernardino or other L.A/inland empire outfits.I know about 95% of the local and regional drivers still on it right now.The reason randy marten says that he changed our payscale was because regional/local drivers made too much money that previous year. Also,they brung over alot of people who used to work for Knight,and theyre trying to turn marten into knight.Oh,and dont also forget that randy marten made it policy that regional drivers cant have a truck with no less than 400,000 miles on it,because they get to go home every weekend,he feels they deserve junk equipment,.But you see when you run reefer,alot of time you spend at docks with all the live loads/unloads,rarely drop n hooks,and when you are getting CPM and hardly breaking over 1500-1800 ANYWAY it just kills your pay.Oh and I forgot,anything under 100 miles they pay you hourly,which their current rate is $12 an hour. Hope that helps/
Old 07-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Whats with Knight and Trans West ?

Did Knight scoop up Trans West ?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for posting the regional info. Quite a few things I didn't know. I'm just OTR but I did notice the regional pay change to mileage based and was really disappointed for you guys. It's just not what it should be at all. The shorter stuff is where it's at money wise for the company and those drivers should get some of it passed through. 8) 8)
Old 07-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Senior Board Member