User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I used to drive for the Millis

they had their good points and some not so good points.

I sure do miss those nice T2000's compared to what i am driving now

thats for damn sure

Oh well ... :lol:
Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsclinger
LeBron, PM me as for some reason the Administrator won't let me PM to others, but I can reply. I've got a couple of questions to direct to you so if you don't mind, then that way I can just pick your brain.

Thanks..
No problem. I think when you get like 50 posts or so it opens the PM's so you can send and receive.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Millis pays more during trainning, and yes, I know Money Isn't Everything, BUT IT IS ALOT....From the responses I've received about Millis, it almost sounds like Roehl or Schneider would be the better fit, for trainning, miles, and hometime. I've read about Roehl's 7/3-7/4 and 7on/7off programs, and both are available where I live. Now then it comes down to getting my own CDL and being able to pick the better available of the two, versus taking their trainning and being an indentured servant to them until I've paid them back. Also, the Community College I could get my CDL through is much cheaper than either of their trainning programs.....

It appears that I'm answering my own question, and that would be to sign up for the CDL trainning at the community college, take it on the weekends, so I can keep working and earning a paycheck until I get my CDL, and then throw it out to the two companies and see which one wants me and is willing to finish my on the job trainning and get my butt into a truck........

You would be much better off getting your CDL on your own before going with a carrier. If you start with a training carrier who has their own school, then you will be on the hook for the cost of your training unless you stay a minimum amount of time. Most seem to require you to stay for about 12 months. Should you leave prior to the end of your contract you are often on the hook for the entire cost of the training which is usually several thousand dollars. If you already have your CDL you will likely start at a higher wage than if you went through their school, plus you don't have to worry about staying with them should things not work out. If you go to a local community college for your training, the cost will be much less and they will usually assist you in finding suitable employment. I would make sure the school has the proper credentials before starting. If it is a state school, then that should not be a problem. There is legislation afoot which will require a minimum amount of seat time before you can obtain your CDL.

One thing to keep in mind is that one carrier doesn't fit everyone. What is right for one person isn't for another. It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. Before going to a carrier I would make a list of the things that are most important for you. If home time is important, then I would look for a carrier who could get you home more frequently. When you talk with these carriers be honest about what you would like. I would do it without being demanding. At this point you are only looking for information. It can sometimes be challenging to find the right fit. I would not go with the first carrier who offered me a position unless you felt that it was a good fit. The more stability you show the better your opportunities. If you stay with the same carrier for a year or two you will be much better off than the driver who has had 3 or 4 jobs during the same time period. It is much better to take a little time evaluating the various opportunities that you will have once you obtain your CDL. You may not find a carrier that will meet all of your expectations. It is important to be flexible. If this is something you really want to do then you will find a way to make it work. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 AM

EXCELLANT ADVISE GMAN....and yes, it is something I REALLY WANT TO DO, and before making the leap, I want to make sure I have all the information and all my ducks in a row.....

I know I can do it, and it's just a matter, as you pointed out, of finding the right carrier once I get my CDL....
Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Rookie

There are good things and bad things about being trained through a company. I considered going the community college route and I ended up choosing company training. This is basically what I came up with and based my decision on.

I chose a company that will let me pay the "debt" through service with the company. The longer I work with them the less I am responsible for repaying. Should I leave before my debt is paid in full then I owe them the balance (which is tracked on every pay stub). Should I hold up my end of the bargain then I get a "free" CDL. If I choose to leave tomorrow then it is no different than owing debt to a bank or student loan. Oh and many of the same grants that are used for the community college are eligible for some companies' training ie. seperating military and a few others.......

The pro's of company training:

No out of pocket money up front.

When I began training the 1st 5 days were make or break. You will know in that time whether or not you will be able to drive a Big Truck. If you are sent home or opt out in that time frame then you owed nothing. Go to a community college and decide that this may not be for you and see how much of a refund you get.

After the initial training (2 weeks) you started getting paid, not much but it's a start. 4-5 weeks into it you start earning a real pay check. I know the schools in my area were 6-8 weeks in duration and you don't get paid until you get yourself a job.

We learned how to drive and not just pass a CDL test. Also we learned DOT regualtions, logging, how to read a map and plan a route, when and how to slide tandems and 5th wheels, coupling, how to use the qualcomm, securing loads ect...... In my limited expirience most of the people that came with CDL's from other sources had no clue on how to do any of it.

At the end of training YOU HAVE A JOB. Yea will someone will say you can get hired in this industry no matter what but with no expirience your opportunities will be just as limited as havig nothing. Especially these days when companies are closing their doors every day. I wonder how many of the former Jevic drivers are working at Swift, Schneider, and JB Hunt right now. The turn over may still be 100% but I guarentee it's falling rapidly and even "Mega Coolie Carriers" are tightening the belt on newbie training. When I'm finished with my end of the bargain I with have 2 things going for me. Quality training and enough expirience to get the job I want.

The cons of company training:

I had to live in a hotel room with a total stranger.

I had to sign a contract.

I work at a company where I'm just a number..... but I like it this way. Unlike what I used to do I'm not under constant micro management and if I do my job no one bothers me.

Yea I'm still green in this buisness but I did my homework and this is what I based my decision on and my needs at the time. Keep doing yours and you will figure out the best fit for you.

Oh and even if you do get your CDL on your own you still may have to do some company training and go with a trainer if you don't have enough expirience.

Good luck and weigh all your options. If you decide to go the company route make sure you get all the details straight before you sign those papers!!! If the company has nothing to hide then it won't be a problem to get a look at that contract before you even commit to them.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:34 PM

Fishmonger,
Thank you for the great post and the information you supplied. I agree with alot of what your are saying and what my biggest concern is the lack of income during the trainning period, the classroom part and road course work basically, as I do have a family and responsibilities. That said, I can either pay for my CDL through the community college, taking it from savings, while I continue to get a paycheck from my current employer, so I can go from one income to another, OR I can get in with a trainning company, go without a paycheck for a few weeks, while my expenses increase due to living in that motel room with a stranger and racking up meal bills and any other small items I need to purchase. This part of the decision is really the only sticking point I have left to overcome to get my ducks in a row.

Delaware Ohio Wanna-Be..
Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle_2006
Rev Give it up already. No wonder every PM I have gotten recently
You know damn well that you have't gotten any PM's, because nobody likes you.

Quote:
everyone is saying the same about YOU namely you are the FINAL END OF A HORESE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM.
What exactly is a "horese"?

Quote:
My post here was to give this guy a clue about millis
The clueless trying to give others a clue. Priceless. Why not tell him about your drug use while you were driving too?

Quote:
and here you go trying yet again to do what you do best being a TROLL.
It's because I love you so very much. :lol:
Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Fishmonger,
Thank you for the great post and the information you supplied. I agree with alot of what your are saying and what my biggest concern is the lack of income during the trainning period, the classroom part and road course work basically, as I do have a family and responsibilities. That said, I can either pay for my CDL through the community college, taking it from savings, while I continue to get a paycheck from my current employer, so I can go from one income to another, OR I can get in with a trainning company, go without a paycheck for a few weeks, while my expenses increase due to living in that motel room with a stranger and racking up meal bills and any other small items I need to purchase. This part of the decision is really the only sticking point I have left to overcome to get my ducks in a row.

Delaware Ohio Wanna-Be..
Hey ...

I used to drive for Millis and got my training there....They are not a bad place to get your start in this bizz if you really really just gotta drive 18
wheelers.... :alien:
Old 07-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Board Regular
Default http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34430&am

I'm Still wondering if They have A Terminal in Kingman,AZ. Hmm 8) :idea:

[quote]And then she Understood the Devilish cunning of the Enemies' Plan.By mixing a little Truth with it they had made there Lie much Stronger :!: C.S.Lewis
Old 07-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Board Regular

hey ws i considered millis at one point. decent people in the recruiting department etc etc. One reason I never went to school with them was the 3 weeks of no pay. If you can afford to take 3 weeks off with no pay and shove out the 500 more power to you. Ive talked with some millis drivers and they seemed pretty happy there.

Once I go to school and get my year in i might consider millis depending on how my first company treats me.

good luck to you in whatever decision you make