User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Frankly I don't care if I'm doing better than everyone else. That's no excuse to cut my miles (if they are truly doing that). The way I look at it once the week is over it doesn't matter any more what kind of miles I got. They better be looking to keep me busy NEXT week. Used to be they would deadhead you how ever many miles it took to get you a load. I realize that was when fuel prices were lower but you still have to keep the drivers happy. When I was up in Rome, NY I was sitting with 9 other Crete drivers. What do you think the topic of conversation was? The latest Hitlery/Osama I mean Obama debate? Hardly. We were talking about how we used to never have to sit like this in the past. It wears you down when you can no longer count on getting enough miles to pay the bills. You get short tempered and you start pissing off people you are probably better off not getting mad at you. I don't drive to see the country. I don't drive because I feel like I'm contributing to the economy or performing a needed task. I drive because it earns me a good income. Forty or Fifty thousand dollars a year is not enough to keep me out for 4-5 weeks at a time. I HAVE to get up around $60,000 before it's worth it. Otherwise you are justing wasting your time.
When you sit you invariably start thinking about things you would be better off not thinking of. Missing your kids baseball game or your wifes birthday etc. When you are moving you have other things to occupy your mind. I'm just not moving as much as I used to.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:19 AM
Rookie

I drive local and I havent had even one full check yet this year and I was getting ready to go otr because its so bad but I have a bad feeling it will be just as bad otr.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Senior Board Member

These outrageous fuel prices are quickly taking the economy right into the dumper. Consumers are spending less on everything but fuel right now.

Even though worker productivity rose 2.2% in the first quarter of this year the unemployment rate actually more than offset it, so in reality there has been less product made and therefore less product needing shipped because less product is needed because people can not afford to buy what they used to buy.

I can certainly understand driver's frustration at having to sit, especially when they are not even getting a few hundred mile run a day. To be honest though I do not think anyone is really going to find a better deal than what they have right now in the OTR/regional sectors, especially if they are at the upper end of the pay scales.

As others have said things are bad all over, and I believe they are going to get worse yet and continue to get worse until at least mid November after the elections though I can see things continuing to decline until this time next year when people will get a feel for what the next president is really going to be like.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:52 AM
Rookie

I feel your pain, its turned into the same story over at Barr Nunn, I used to do really well with them now I am lucky to scrape together 1 decent week much less 2 in a row and we kind of get the same story about how we are doing better than average or you just came off of a good trip. I'm with ya, i dont care how good i did yesterday, I wanna know how good i am doing today. I have been really debating on bailing out on Barr Nunn as well but then i look at stuff like this and talk to other drivers from other companies and think to myself, where the hell can i go, its getting crappy everywhere. I feel your pain on deadheading to loads as well, Barr Nunn has really out the crunch on that as well, its getting to the point where its financially better for them to just leave you sitting with no load than it is to deahhead out to get to a load. Thats why they changed our layover pay to a 34 hour wait now. Sucks everywhere it seems.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Frankly I don't care if I'm doing better than everyone else. That's no excuse to cut my miles (if they are truly doing that). The way I look at it once the week is over it doesn't matter any more what kind of miles I got. They better be looking to keep me busy NEXT week. Used to be they would deadhead you how ever many miles it took to get you a load. I realize that was when fuel prices were lower but you still have to keep the drivers happy. When I was up in Rome, NY I was sitting with 9 other Crete drivers. What do you think the topic of conversation was? The latest Hitlery/Osama I mean Obama debate? Hardly. We were talking about how we used to never have to sit like this in the past. It wears you down when you can no longer count on getting enough miles to pay the bills. You get short tempered and you start pissing off people you are probably better off not getting mad at you. I don't drive to see the country. I don't drive because I feel like I'm contributing to the economy or performing a needed task. I drive because it earns me a good income. Forty or Fifty thousand dollars a year is not enough to keep me out for 4-5 weeks at a time. I HAVE to get up around $60,000 before it's worth it. Otherwise you are justing wasting your time.
When you sit you invariably start thinking about things you would be better off not thinking of. Missing your kids baseball game or your wifes birthday etc. When you are moving you have other things to occupy your mind. I'm just not moving as much as I used to.
It's called robbing Peter to Pay Paul- this week -- this half the fleet gets to eat-- next week the will switch and feed the other half.

One bad week? out of the last 17weeks -- and you still saying you're at 53,000 miles total--- that means you've still got 3100 miles a week AVERAGE!---- but, I know...every week counts--- just keep track of them--
tell them you're leaving WHEN/IF THAT AVERAGE FALLS BELOW X??
Old 05-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Board Regular

It is bad here in Florida. 71 seminole county workers just had their jobs eliminated and 30 other jobs will not be filled. First time I have seen it in 22 yrs with them. Tons of teachers everywhere being let go. We lost positions in facilities maintenance, roads, purchasing, emergency mgmt and others. Left the FD and Trash haulers alone this round. The media says different crap on every channel.Don't know who to believe anymore.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbski
It is bad here in Florida. 71 seminole county workers just had their jobs eliminated and 30 other jobs will not be filled. First time I have seen it in 22 yrs with them. Tons of teachers everywhere being let go. We lost positions in facilities maintenance, roads, purchasing, emergency mgmt and others. Left the FD and Trash haulers alone this round. The media says different crap on every channel.Don't know who to believe anymore.
You know back in 1929? when the stock market crashed suddenly- and over night the world fell into the "Great Depression"-- it probably wouldn't have "crashed" had there been a "global economy" like we have today---

to day, it's a less noticeable slow slip into such-- and quietly AMERICA notices over a year or so-- it's now a 3rd world Nation--

a nation that produces NOTHING and consumes everything-- will eventually-- owe everyone else on the planet--everything.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe08
Be strong Guys! It's bad all over. I drive local and I have had only 5 full paychecks this year so far(get paid weekly) And the only reason I have that many is the I got bid out of my previous spot and I ended up in this one which was actually a better run.

I am in the same situation scythe and jefster. This year flat out sucks. I am local and i have yet to have a 40 hour week. The really sad part is the fact that this past week was an "ok" week and i only scraped 23 hours. If i use my last pay stub and take a weekly average to get a rough estimate of my yearly income if things don't pick up, I will be lucky to clear $16,000 this year.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:51 AM
Rookie

Calitrucker it will be $19k this year for me if it keeps going the way it is.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Frankly I don't care if I'm doing better than everyone else. That's no excuse to cut my miles (if they are truly doing that). The way I look at it once the week is over it doesn't matter any more what kind of miles I got. They better be looking to keep me busy NEXT week. Used to be they would deadhead you how ever many miles it took to get you a load. I realize that was when fuel prices were lower but you still have to keep the drivers happy. What do you think the topic of conversation was? The latest Hitlery/Osama I mean Obama debate? Hardly. We were talking about how we used to never have to sit like this in the past. It wears you down when you can no longer count on getting enough miles to pay the bills. You get short tempered and you start pissing off people you are probably better off not getting mad at you. I don't drive to see the country. I don't drive because I feel like I'm contributing to the economy or performing a needed task. I drive because it earns me a good income. Forty or Fifty thousand dollars a year is not enough to keep me out for 4-5 weeks at a time. I HAVE to get up around $60,000 before it's worth it. Otherwise you are justing wasting your time.

Quote:
When I was up in Rome, NY I was sitting with 9 other Crete drivers.

When they make you guys sit, are they still hiring rookies from driving schools?