User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default May vs. Crete

I am fresh meat, just out of school and I've got applications in at May & Crete. Both indicate they'll hire me and now I'm wondering if anyone has anything to say about May.

I've seen plenty here on Crete, enough to know it's a big company (with all the good and bad that goes with it), they have freight, they pay decent enough, and I'll be out 2-3 weeks at a time. Home is in Las Vegas, NV and both companies will run me out of Phoenix.

Here's the question. What is May like? I tried a search but the name of the company is too common a word (I got something like 2,300 hits).
Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Senior Board Member

My biggest issue with May (drove from Apr 2004 - Oct 2004) was the lack of cruise control when the headlights came on. Yes, I'm serious.

Ask the recruiter in these exact words, "Is the cruise control still active when the truck's headlights are on?" If they say no, think real hard about driving at night in the winter with no cruise. Lights should be at 3:30 pm or earlier during winter depending on weather conditions....
Old 04-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Senior Board Member

2-3 weeks out with Crete??? Try 3-5 weeks instead.

And who told you they had frieght????? :shock:
Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Senior Board Member

I stayed out 2-3 weeks when i was otr( Crete) and useully didn't have much trouble getting home when I wanted, I did find that seemed to limit the loads I was offered when I stayed out 3 or more I seemed to get longer runs. I never sat much and almost always got as many miles as I wanted. Now I'm dedicated and the only complaint is about the pet policy, oh well, that and if you have the NYC pay comeing you have to ask for it :roll: they send you there but then payroll "miss's it" thats the only bad things I got to say about them.
As far as May Thanks for reminding me , my wife's got a birthday comeing up!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Rookie
Default My May exp.

I never drove for either but I went to orientation in Pensacola Fl with May back in Sept. 07. I only live a few hours away in Valdosta Ga so my wife took me and they let her stay in the room until I left on Thursday. They paid for her to eat with us everyday, they only feed you lunch but it's Ryans Steak house or some chinese resturant and they are both all you can eat. I forgot a paper they needed so they told me to go home and fax it to them in Or. and then someone would be by my house to pick me up and take me to Or. to get my truck. That was weds. around 9 am so I asked them if we could stay in the room one more night and leave early Thursday am and they said yes no problem. Me and my wife had a free mini vacation on May. We went to the beach everyday it was a blast and May seems like a good company.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
My biggest issue with May (drove from Apr 2004 - Oct 2004) was the lack of cruise control when the headlights came on. Yes, I'm serious.

Ask the recruiter in these exact words, "Is the cruise control still active when the truck's headlights are on?" If they say no, think real hard about driving at night in the winter with no cruise. Lights should be at 3:30 pm or earlier during winter depending on weather conditions....
That's interesting. I never heard that one before. I will ask that question.

Anyone out there driving for May right now? My only beef with them is starting at .30 cpm and going to .34 after one year, vs. Crete's .34 to start and then .41 after 1st year. Freight being equal that's a huge difference. I'm looking for a good reason to choose May over Crete.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Default Re: My May exp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptp88
I never drove for either but I went to orientation in Pensacola Fl with May back in Sept. 07. I only live a few hours away in Valdosta Ga so my wife took me and they let her stay in the room until I left on Thursday. They paid for her to eat with us everyday, they only feed you lunch but it's Ryans Steak house or some chinese resturant and they are both all you can eat. I forgot a paper they needed so they told me to go home and fax it to them in Or. and then someone would be by my house to pick me up and take me to Or. to get my truck. That was weds. around 9 am so I asked them if we could stay in the room one more night and leave early Thursday am and they said yes no problem. Me and my wife had a free mini vacation on May. We went to the beach everyday it was a blast and May seems like a good company.
Just wondering why didnt you end up driving for them?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Board Regular

I have to go with Crete, big surprise there.

You will get paid better per mile at Crete. But if home time is more important to you than pay you would probably be better off with may. They have a very strong freight base on the west coast and I believe they have a number of accounts in Vegas itself, at least they did a few years ago.

Keep this in mind about May trucking. They have one of the strictest, if not THEE strictest idling policy in the country at the moment. Other companies may join in if they see it working.

You will not be allowed to idle at any time (there may be exceptions, I'm just going by what I've read on other threads on this board) without getting prior permission from your fleet manager on a daily basis. If they don't think the weather warrants it you will be charge back for idle time and it will be deducted from your pay. I also read a number of other fairly negative points, as well as good.

Here's a thread, all you ever wanted to know about May Trucking.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...980&highlight=

[email protected]
Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertruckerr
I have to go with Crete, big surprise there.

You will get paid better per mile at Crete. But if home time is important to you than pay you would probibly be better off with may. They have a very strong freight base on the west coast and I believe they have a number of accounts in Vegas itself, at least they did a few years ago.

Keep this in mind about May trucking. They have one of the strictest, if not THEE strictest idling policy in the country at the moment. Other companies may join in if they see it working.

You will not be allowed to idle at any time (there may be exceptions, I'm just going by what I've read on other threads on this board) without getting prior permission from your fleet manager and a daily basis. If they don't think the weather warrants it you will be charge back for idle time and it will be deducted from your pay. I also read a number of other fairly negative points, as well as good.

Here's a thread, all you ever wanted to know about May Trucking.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...980&highlight=
I'm not sure that is correct unless they've changed their policy a great deal.

You were previously allowed 30% idle time without penalty. Reefer drivers could ask for extra idle time anytime, but dry van could only ask after reaching the 30% threshold.

Is this no longer the case?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Hmmm. You changed your post and it's different enough for me to ask for a clarification.

EDIT: Disregard.