User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default regular routes

Was wondering if anyone knew of some companies that have something of a regular route going to towards the west coast or southwest. I live in northern Ky/ Cincy, OH. Any info would be helpful, just getting alittle tired of northeast garbage, and shorter hauls.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Any info would be helpful, just getting alittle tired of northeast garbage, and shorter hauls.
10-4!

Speaking of garbage...most of your garbage haulers (reefer) run long-haul dedicated westcoast turnarounds. That's only because alot of refregerated stuff can't be put on the rails. Just be prepared to take a cut in .cpm and run looseleaf to earn your daily bread.

I had a deal hauling produce out to the left coast. Tall miles out but then all the livelong day banging out stops in the metro LA area with a 270' wheelbase StarCar and constellation sleeper. That'll put hair on your cahones for sure! Then I'd do a reset in Vegas before I picked up a backhaul and was eastbound and down, loaded-up and truckin' again.

That was the heyday of multi-stop reefer. But when the feds tossed the sleeper berth provision and mandated a straight 10-hour break, it sure put a damper on the festivities. All legalities aside, I don't think I could pull those loads anymore as they were physically exhausting. The only thing I remember about that time was always being strung out: smoking and drinking. Dodging scales. Seemed to get sick more often.

Now it's 8 and skate for me...single-stack with a window in the back!!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Rookie

wow, lebron, you did that. man i could not take running out west like that. what do you do now? i am looking for some type of local gig that pays well. i am sick of otr, been out for a while now, i think marriage is starting to suffer.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Lebron is correct, one way to see lots of the west is to run produce. You'll see lots of California, Arizona, Washington. But you'll wind up in other places as well, depending on what is in season and where. It is a grind to be sure. Not uncommon to get a load that is 10 picks and 3 drops. And produce is the last bastion of the outlaws. Even if you avoid that and find a company that runs legal, you'll do a lot of 11 driving, 10 off, repeat.

On a different note, you might check out Danny Herman. They specialize in cross border freight. Terminals in Fontana CA, Nogales AZ, and three on the border in TX. If I remember right they are primarily a team operation, but I think they have some solo's running.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
Any info would be helpful, just getting alittle tired of northeast garbage, and shorter hauls.
Tall miles out but then all the livelong day banging out stops in the metro LA area with a 270' wheelbase StarCar and constellation sleeper.
Wow, 270 foot wheelbase! You da man!