User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
I lucked out as I've been working nearly everyday for a year and a half now. i wont feel comfortable until this economy picks up and I get a couple more guys under me. Then I should be in the clear.
Do you run out of the old Overnite barn in Richfield, OH Snowman? I've got family who live near there. Nice area. At one time I was thinking of transfering there because I was working for FedEx Ground in SoCal and FedEx was breaking ground on a new terminal behind the Pilot off OH-21 and I-80. But then they fired me and events had me move further east.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:59 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
I lucked out as I've been working nearly everyday for a year and a half now. i wont feel comfortable until this economy picks up and I get a couple more guys under me. Then I should be in the clear.
Do you run out of the old Overnite barn in Richfield, OH Snowman? I've got family who live near there. Nice area. At one time I was thinking of transfering there because I was working for FedEx Ground in SoCal and FedEx was breaking ground on a new terminal behind the Pilot off OH-21 and I-80. But then they fired me and events had me move further east.
U have mail.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:04 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

BTW if you want to know the worst part of being a road driver it is staying up till 4 am watching TV and reading message boards on Sunday night because you cant sleep at night LOL! :lol:

(And you thought it was pulling doubles in the snow! pppffffffffttt! :roll

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Board Member

I was a Dockworker/ P&D Driver for my almost entire time at Con-Way.

Being the new guy at most any LTL company sucks.

Con-Way is one the worst LTL companies to start for; you have no stability, managment makes up the rules as they go along and there was a steady erosion in pay & bennies during my time there from Dec 05 to Jan 08.

That being said it is still better that 99% of OTR jobs.

Most of my time there I had a 12:30pm start time and I would either hop in a truck and start picking up freight from bigger customers or just unload pickups as they came in from the city and load them into line haul trailers.

Almost all P&D is done between 7am and 7-9pm M-F. There are a few exceptions for big warehouses with appointments and what not, but it is as close as you can get to having a "regular" 9-5 job driving a truck.

As a blanket statement your city equipment relative to OTR is going to be older with less amenities. City tractors can be used for 10-15 years. I have a friend at Yellow who had a bid tractor older than me.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
BTW if you want to know the worst part of being a road driver it is staying up till 4 am watching TV and reading message boards on Sunday night because you cant sleep at night LOL! :lol:

(And you thought it was pulling doubles in the snow! pppffffffffttt! :roll

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Same for the night fuel delivery guy having Sunday and Monday "nights"
off. LOL Tnx for the info Snow.