Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Part time dock worker/driver....Yellow (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/32744-part-time-dock-worker-driver-yellow.html)

ohiomohawk 03-03-2008 10:05 PM

Part time dock worker/driver....Yellow

Anyone with info on how long you are part time? Could you be part time for 6 months or more?

How long would it take to get to 40 hours? I heard you could work like 2 12 hour days loading trucks, is this true?

hamboner 03-03-2008 10:49 PM

I am thinking that is going to be determined by the terminal in which u are working. Also, the amount of freight volume is probably going to determine the hours in which you work. I don't really think there is an exact answer to either of the questions. Whatever happens ahead of you in the seniority ranks is gonna determine how fast you recieve a full time bid. Be prepared to pay your dues and work the extra board and hope for the best is all I can say!

Snowman7 03-03-2008 11:13 PM

It varies alot by terminal, workload, and the local supplements (rules) in the contract. If Yellow had it their way you would never get full time status but you may work full time hours and not get bennies. Its best to talk to the people at the terminal in question. As a rule now is not a good time to get into a union shop. Yellow and Roadway are never easy to get started in but they have fallen on even harder times as of late. Even during good times you could spend years getting laid off or erratic hours. If you are young without alot of bills, or your wife has a good job, it could payoff down the road. If you have a family and alot of financial responsibility I would say you probably wont make it because you're gonna starve at some point and seek greener pastures. What city are you near? I would look at Old Dominion, Pitt Ohio, Fedex Freight, Saia, UPS Freight, Dayton Freight, Conway is non union but they use a flex board and you could starve there also. Do you want road or city? Why part time dock if you have a CDL? Central Transport has a shaky reputation but I have a friend there and he likes it, all the work you want and home daily. LTL jobs vary alittle from company to company but a big factor is how much work you get at the bottom.

Colts Fan 03-04-2008 11:57 AM

YRC Worldwide is undergoing a massive restructuring. I checked the website for union jobs available for Indiana and got a big goose egg. Yellow's subsidiaries, USF Holland and Reddway have closed 27 terminals. There have been full time drivers that have been laid off since Oct/Nov that still have not received the phone call to come back to work. With the economy the way it is, financial forcasts for LTL in 2008 are grim.

I'd do like Snowman says and look at some of the non-union LTL companies. Saia looks like a pretty neat company. They are hiring for P&D drivers, starting wage $19.43/hr. One thing I'd ask is when OT kicks in. The non-union carriers usually don't like to pay OT until after 50-60 hours.

belpre122 04-13-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts Fan
YRC Worldwide is undergoing a massive restructuring. I checked the website for union jobs available for Indiana and got a big goose egg. Yellow's subsidiaries, USF Holland and Reddway have closed 27 terminals. There have been full time drivers that have been laid off since Oct/Nov that still have not received the phone call to come back to work. With the economy the way it is, financial forcasts for LTL in 2008 are grim.

I'd do like Snowman says and look at some of the non-union LTL companies. Saia looks like a pretty neat company. They are hiring for P&D drivers, starting wage $19.43/hr. One thing I'd ask is when OT kicks in. The non-union carriers usually don't like to pay OT until after 50-60 hours.

Hey Peyton :lol: What is a P&D driver? I see more and more of those SAIA doubles rolling around Indy lately.

Colts Fan 04-14-2008 02:10 AM

P&D means Pickup and Delivery. You will most likely run within 100 air miles of your terminal. If that is the case then you won't have to worry about a log book. :D There are probably some P&D drivers on here like LeBron James that can give you a good perspective on the life of a P&D guy. From what I gather, you make your deliveries in the AM and pickups the rest of the day. P&D guys don't spend much time waiting and bump a dozen or more docks per day.

belpre122 04-14-2008 02:27 AM

GOT IT...Thanks Peyton.....I assume that is probably what those guys in those R&L delivery trucks are up to also. A while back I saw an ad for SAIA, pay didnt seem too bad. More and more of them all the time. I used to see them out on the west coast. Migrating? Thanks for the info.......Marvin Harrison Oh yeah....a couple of others that I see all of the time at Holt and 70: Estes and PJAX....don't know much about them either.

Snowman7 04-14-2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belpre122
GOT IT...Thanks Peyton.....I assume that is probably what those guys in those R&L delivery trucks are up to also. A while back I saw an ad for SAIA, pay didnt seem too bad. More and more of them all the time. I used to see them out on the west coast. Migrating? Thanks for the info.......Marvin Harrison Oh yeah....a couple of others that I see all of the time at Holt and 70: Estes and PJAX....don't know much about them either.

Saia bought a midwest company called Connection and yes they are moving into OH, IN, etc. When you see doubles it is usually road drivers who are moving freight hub to hub. Usually at night. These jobs pay by the mile and are very good jobs, if you can work nights. P&D is done during the daytime and it is hourly pay, usually a single pup or long box. Saia would be a good job for road or city. If you dont like one you can transfer to the other but they typically have two different seniority boards and if you switch you go to the bottom of the new board. R&L, Estes, PJAX, Conway, Pitt Ohio, UPS Freight, Fedex Freight, Yellow, Roadway, ABF, Old Dominion...all the same thing, I'm sure I forgot some.

belpre122 04-14-2008 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7
Saia bought a midwest company called Connection and yes they are moving into OH, IN, etc. When you see doubles it is usually road drivers who are moving freight hub to hub. Usually at night. These jobs pay by the mile and are very good jobs, if you can work nights.

What kinda cash are we talkin bout here?

Snowman7 04-14-2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belpre122

What kinda cash are we talkin bout here?

City driver-$18-23 an hour. 40-60 hrs a week, 40-60k a year. Road driver 45-55 cpm, 50-85k yr. Top guy on my road board does around 90k working 60-65 hrs a week, he's been here 20 yrs. I did 57k my first full year working on average 45-50 hrs as a road driver. On our board we're home every morning but it varies by company and location. There's a few 100k drivers scattered around but it takes alot of seniority, the perfect run, and a top paying company (Yellow, Roadway, ABF, FXF, UPSF). Our new contract will have us making 66 cpm in 2013. (UPS Freight). Bennies are good also. The key is right place, right time. Some boards are tough to get work at the bottom. Lays offs can be common for a couple years. It varies alot but if you find the right one its good work. Or if you can live on a small check until you move up. I lucked out as I've been working nearly everyday for a year and a half now. i wont feel comfortable until this economy picks up and I get a couple more guys under me. Then I should be in the clear.