User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default US Xpress and automathics

I decided this company would fit me best. Because I can't drive stick real well. While I can shift well, I stall the truck at times trying not to roll back.
So I said hey the last time I will be driving stick is when I get tested and get my CDL (which is next week. By God graces I will pass by not stalling the engine or not causes a accident doing a turn in 1st gear).
My question is US Xpress trucks totally automathic? I ask this because I heard stories about auto shifts still have a clutch. Heck, I even heard from this one driver that she preffered stick because auto shifts roll back.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 PM

As far as i know USX has auto shift trucks. They still have a clutch, as far as roll back I never had a problem with it when I drove a auto shift truck for a very limited amount of time.

Good luck with USX.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

just wondering, what gear are you starting out in that your stalling? Most trucks you can start out on flat ground in 2cd at an idle without stalling just by s l o w l y letting out the clutch. You should talk with your trainer and get some xtra help on this after all thats what your paying them for
BOL
Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete
just wondering, what gear are you starting out in that your stalling? Most trucks you can start out on flat ground in 2cd at an idle without stalling just by s l o w l y letting out the clutch. You should talk with your trainer and get some xtra help on this after all thats what your paying them for
BOL
are you trying to hold it on the hill with the clutch? that is a no-no, you hold it with the brake. when it's time to go, let out the clutch very slowly until it catches and then take let it out the rest of the way while giving it a little fuel.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Rookie

I used to start in 3. But all of a sudden I can't do it. I think I just get nervous when I come to the intersection and I tell myself okay get ready to ease off the clutch, feel it pull, get off the brake and get on the gas. I guess I just don't want to take way too long trying to make a turn trying not to roll back. So sometimes I can do right, sometimes I can't. And I really can't pinpoint how I did it right the one time and wrong the second. I'm doing the above all the time. Like I said sometimes it will work, other times it won't. So tomorrow I 'll just stick to 1 or 2.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Rookie

Fredog, I stall on pretty level ground or roads very slightly going uphill, usually when I try to start in 3rd. Tomorrow I will only start on 1 or 2. As far as the hill thing, I do it like you said. I always start on 1st on a hill.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: US Xpress and automathics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmrtt
I decided this company would fit me best. Because I can't drive stick real well. While I can shift well, I stall the truck at times trying not to roll back.
So I said hey the last time I will be driving stick is when I get tested and get my CDL (which is next week. By God graces I will pass by not stalling the engine or not causes a accident doing a turn in 1st gear).
My question is US Xpress trucks totally automathic? I ask this because I heard stories about auto shifts still have a clutch. Heck, I even heard from this one driver that she preffered stick because auto shifts roll back.
usx still has a few auto-shift with a clutch but just a few 04 volvo's and 04 freightliner's all the rest are NO clutch auto-shift. usx has them set so thay will only start in 1st but if you know how you can change it so thay will start in 2nd. and yes ANY auto-shift will roll back on a hill but with the brake lag time all you do is lift off the brake and hit the fuel by the time the brakes release the engine is pulling "my way" the wife two foots it. give it a little fuel until it starts to pull then release the brakes. both work to keep it from rolling
Old 02-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Fredog, I stall on pretty level ground or roads very slightly going uphill, usually when I try to start in 3rd. Tomorrow I will only start on 1 or 2. As far as the hill thing, I do it like you said. I always start on 1st on a hill.
1st when loaded 2nd when empty. 3rd when bobtailing., will work on just about any truck
Old 02-22-2008, 06:03 AM
Default Re: US Xpress and automathics

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood
Quote:
usx still has a few auto-shift with a clutch but just a few 04 volvo's and 04 freightliner's all the rest are NO clutch auto-shift. usx has them set so thay will only start in 1st but if you know how you can change it so thay will start in 2nd. and yes ANY auto-shift will roll back on a hill but with the brake lag time all you do is lift off the brake and hit the fuel by the time the brakes release the engine is pulling "my way" the wife two foots it. give it a little fuel until it starts to pull then release the brakes. both work to keep it from rolling
We drive for USX also; on the rolling back, depending on how steep the incline is, I will let go of the brake and 'floor' the accelerator. Now you think thats bad but it doesn't respond so quick so you're not going to launch off! :lol: If it's really steep I do like flood's wife and put left foot on brake and right on accelerator, when I'm ready to go oI give it fuel and then let go of the brake and it works fine.
However, I also agree try to get some extra training on it if you can. Sounds to me you're 'freezing' up because you're making yourself scared of failing. You can do this! Try not to think too much about what might happen if you do it wrong; try to read your RPMs better so you know when to shift at what speed etc. that might help you? I know it probably sounds easier then it is, but I know you can do this. We've all been in the same boat when we just started driving and now we just do it. In a year from now you'll laugh about your post I'm sure! :wink: Good luck on the test!!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
1st when loaded 2nd when empty. 3rd when bobtailing., will work on just about any truck
I started in high range in my old 13sp Century when bobtailing.