User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thanks

I appreciate all your imput. Schneider seems to be the consensus.

Any other advice ill take! :wink:
Old 02-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamin
I appreciate all your imput. Schneider seems to be the consensus.

Any other advice ill take! :wink:
Just remeber there is about 6 months of hell. Then as things settle down you can grow stick it out for the 18 months. If you ever decide to leave be a growen up give proper notice don't burn bridges. If you need help ASK they will help. i personaly wish you luck just keep in touch and i will yell at you lots of good folks here. don't listen to all the negativity. 8)

Oh Yes those things on each side of your truck USE EM there called mirrows and there great tools. Don't be afraid to GOAL Get out and look. And there are days you will be exhausted be even more carful.

On curves and off ramps the posted speed limit is always for cars go 5 or 10 mph slower especialy on off ramps unless you know it well.. Always leave yourself an out simply means give plenty of room for your truck.

Think about it like a pebble in a river let everything flow around you.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

I went with Central Refrigerated when I first started. Went to their school here in Fontana California. I have no regrets about going to their school or working for them. They are a training company and I needed to learn how to be a truck driver.

As it turned out, I had to leave before my 1 year commitment was up due to problems at home. About a month after I left I received a bill for the pro-rated balance due for my training. I paid it. They lived up to their end of the bargain and I felt I should too.

A little reefer van time doesnt look bad on the old resume either.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Prime has mixed opinions. I don't like how they make you ride as a team with your trainer for 5-6 months.
Yeah, Prime has mixed opinions. Those who are actually there usually like it. Those who have never so much as pulled a load for them usually hate it.

You don't start out as a team with your trainer. While getting your CDL training, you drive for 100 hours (over the road training) with your instructor in the passenger seat at all times. After that, you go out with your A seat trainer for 60-80,000 miles starting out in a super solo arrangement and ease into a team situation.

PrimeDrivers.net message board
Old 02-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Rookie
Default Good Training Companies

I would suggest using the link here for new drivers to investigate a lot of the companies online, check out their equipment, web site design, what their mission statement is, do they rate well with people. Beware that a lot of companies are like politicians, they tell you what you want to hear but when you get there, WOW, a whole different story lol. Here is a linkI used to check out my present job:

http://www.everytruckjob.com

I looked at Schneider as well but they wanted me to get a Hazmat, no thank you, I would not reccomend Millis Transfer either, They will let any truck driver train you, and I have heard they cancelled a few classes on students and never reschedualed them and kept that persons money $500 non refundable deposit. I looked at Pam Transport, Schneider, Covenant, Werner, Stevenson, Millis, US Express, Averitt, KB Transportation, Gordon, and about 30 other companies.

http://www.pamdrivers.com/companycdl.aspx

Take your time and do your research, it will pay off. Ask a lot of questions when talking to recruiters. Once you get 6 months of training in get a hold of me and I will get you into my current company working 5 off 2 days every week.

Good luck
BookerT[/url]
Old 02-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Rookie

What's wrong with hazmat? Certainly it can be the difference between getting a load and sitting.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper
I went with Central Refrigerated when I first started. Went to their school here in Fontana California. I have no regrets about going to their school or working for them. They are a training company and I needed to learn how to be a truck driver.

As it turned out, I had to leave before my 1 year commitment was up due to problems at home. About a month after I left I received a bill for the pro-rated balance due for my training. I paid it. They lived up to their end of the bargain and I felt I should too.

A little reefer van time doesnt look bad on the old resume either.
Nothing wrong with that at all. :twisted:
Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Default Re: Good Training Companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntdj1198
I would suggest using the link here for new drivers to investigate a lot of the companies online, check out their equipment, web site design, what their mission statement is, do they rate well with people. Beware that a lot of companies are like politicians, they tell you what you want to hear but when you get there, WOW, a whole different story lol. Here is a linkI used to check out my present job:

http://www.everytruckjob.com

I looked at Schneider as well but they wanted me to get a Hazmat, no thank you, I would not reccomend Millis Transfer either, They will let any truck driver train you, and I have heard they cancelled a few classes on students and never reschedualed them and kept that persons money $500 non refundable deposit. I looked at Pam Transport, Schneider, Covenant, Werner, Stevenson, Millis, US Express, Averitt, KB Transportation, Gordon, and about 30 other companies.

http://www.pamdrivers.com/companycdl.aspx

Take your time and do your research, it will pay off. Ask a lot of questions when talking to recruiters. Once you get 6 months of training in get a hold of me and I will get you into my current company working 5 off 2 days every week.

Good luck
BookerT[/url]
Ya think he would like to make a few$$ Stay were you start don't job hop nothing wrong with the big orange. I started with another company after a year i moved on.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Rookie
Default get the hazmat if you can.....

I agree, why not grab a hazmat if you can. There has been a real push by companies lately to encourage drivers to get their hazmat liscense. Swift will not only reimburse you the cost of the liscense but also just raised the hazmat bonus to $35/load on top of the mileage pay.
Many other companies will pay a little extra per mile if you have it.

BOL to you
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Actually I'd do hazmat too while you're at it. It's not that much of an extra effort to get it and some companies actually pay extra per mile just for having it. The company I drive for is actually going to pay $.02/mile extra just for having hazmat endorsement regardless if you're pulling hazmat load at that time. I believe they'll start paying as of April 1st for that. But as far as training companies go: I've done my training through Prime Inc. and was very happy with it. However don't lease a truck from them; go company for a year and then see if you want to stay or move on elsewhere. At least you'll have some experience to look around for something else then if you want to. Good luck to you.