User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default pm

sheepdancer pm me. I don't have enough posts to initiate a pm.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Board Regular

knight trans from phoenix is always advertising in the tacoma news for part time drivers 7 on 7 off.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 AM

14 on 7 off sounds freakin awesome to me.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:06 AM

Watkins & Shepard has a "3 person team" you drive (team) for 14 days then take off 7 days while the other 2 drive. You get team miles and 17 weeks off per year.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
I have a hard time understanding why someone would want to do that. I mean sure all that time off is great, but you are only working 1/2 the year. In other words if a trucker working 14 and 2 or whatever made 50K a year.....you would be making around 1/2 that. By all means, Im not trying to talk someone out of it, hell...I recruit for a company that does it.
Maybe Im missing something here, but doesnt that plan equate to a part time job with part time pay?
Wouldnt something like Celedon be more attractive with their 1 week off PAID every 30,000 miles? I mean at least you are being paid 1000 bucks for the time off.
I think your just looking at "days" not hours. I only " work" half a year. I work Sun, Mon, Tues and everyother Wend. I work 12 hr. shifts. 36 hrs one week and 48 ( 8 @ OT ) the next. That's 84 hrs every two weeks or an avg. of 42 hrs. a week. Many of our plants that run 24/7 work like this:

Work Mon and Tues. , off Wend. and Thurs. , Work Fri., Sat, Sun. THEN the next week they are OFF- Mon., Tues. work Wend , Thurs. Then off Fri. , Sat, Sun. 36 one week 48 the next and have a three day week-end every-other week.

When I worked in Law Enforcement I worked 12 hrs a day for 7 days then off for 7 days. I was paid every two weeks for 84 hrs.

I guess it's just at how you look at it. :wink:
Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Just wanted to add; The shift I work now has a counter shift that works: every-other Wend., Thurs., Fri. and Sat. A lot of the guys ( and Gals ) that choose that shift do a lot of outdoors stuff. Their first day off is Sunday and when they are heading out, 90% of the people are heading home. I worked that shift for almost two years and I'll tell ya, you have your pick of any hunting, fishing, camping, ect.... spots. :wink:
Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
I have a hard time understanding why someone would want to do that. I mean sure all that time off is great, but you are only working 1/2 the year. In other words if a trucker working 14 and 2 or whatever made 50K a year.....you would be making around 1/2 that. By all means, Im not trying to talk someone out of it, hell...I recruit for a company that does it.
Maybe Im missing something here, but doesnt that plan equate to a part time job with part time pay?
Wouldnt something like Celedon be more attractive with their 1 week off PAID every 30,000 miles? I mean at least you are being paid 1000 bucks for the time off.
Not everyone needs 50K or better a year. Some people want a life outside of work. I was in IT for over 20 years, I worked 70+ hrs a week, on call 24/7, traveled 250,000 miles a year and made really good money (well over 100K/yr). I never had time off!

Now. I'm 48, kids are grown, house is paid for, cars are paid for and I want to do something I've always wanted to do, drive big trucks and operate heavy equipment. Not everyone going into trucking is looking for a "job", some people are looking for a "life-style". (Didn't you just talk about that in another thread?)
I would hope, as a recruiter, you would understand that, in order to match companies and drivers.

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-14-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsATruckin
Watkins & Shepard has a "3 person team" you drive (team) for 14 days then take off 7 days while the other 2 drive. You get team miles and 17 weeks off per year.
Wow, I might be into that. How would that pay I wonder?