User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 02:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

update:

Delivered my load of butter- Sunday afternoon- when I arrived at 1:30 pm another Shaffer driver was waiting there--- he just hired on 4 months ago-- said the first 2 months were good miles-- but these last two were pathetic-- he lives in OKlahoma and and was looking thru a Trucker's Connection when I walked up to his truck to get the scoop or "lay of the land"-- on the positive side-- He quickly stated he didn't like setting around and 'bitchin' bout what a rotten company he signed onto'--

he did say how ever that he loaded out of Winnsboro, Tx Thursday Morning and had been setting there at the consignee since Saturday Noon--( no one working there Saturday) hince Why I decided to drag my feet getting there-- so when empty he decided he would finish a 34hr reset-- 3rd one in 3 weeks. Said someone on the inside told him, receiving would be in at 3pm-- and that's when someone arrived.

I got empty at 5pm-- and sent the empty call-- and got the following load offer for Monday(Today)

Bethlehem, Pa
p/u 0505 0900-0900
Mechanicsville, Va
del 0506 0100-0100

DH- 48 LM- 308

should of know better than send that empty call-- but then again, they are working really hard at keeping the deadhead down.. so probably would have had to set on that mty call until after 9am Monday morning.

Ok, so I look at the offer and see --Bethlehem, Pa and right away I think-- U.S. Cold Storage-- Drop/Hook-- hey, maybe this turd of a load is already loaded and setting there ready to roll on a spot trailer....right!

I accept( my 3 year Anniversery Date the 5th)---

and the load info comes and ..... it's a Kraft load--- not from same location I was "hoping for"-- instead a live load for 9am Monday.

Monday 8:45am arrive to load-

2 other Shaffer's already in doors-- loading going same place.

(As a company-- you make more money with more SHORT Hauls)

so I walk over to one of the trucks-- (1) I need the exercise to keep my blood sugar low (2) I was wondering if it was the same guy from other evening.

It wasn't-- but this guy was also a new hire-- and he didn't mind telling me how pathetically sick his miles were---- he lives down in Florida-- so, he's still pretty happy about the .44 cent per mile he's getting---just hoping he can make MORE MILES or he's gone too.

Tonight, I arrived 8pm at consignee and found it was a Drop trailer-- yeahhhh! Yahoo! but, bad news ----- no empty reefers-- I'll now be spending my night- right here waiting for a empty trailer.

Mainly because I sent a message real fast before reading Kim's message about bob tailing me down to Brown's Summit for a load....

Right as she sent that-- the yard jock hooked onto one of the 3 loaded trailers and put it in a door for unload--- and I was STUPID enough to relay this info--- so now I got the following load offer instead of Brown Summit- West Branch, Ia( that's a guess)

Stuarts Draft, Va
p/u 05/06 2000-2359
Edwardsville, IL
del 05/08 0700-1200

719 LM

Ok + I get to set HERE at Super-Value all night for my break---- all for being an Honest & informative Joe Dirt.

also, while I was bob-tailing around looking for an empty-- a Crete Driver walked up and informed me I had a tail light out. Now, he could see that I had just walked back to my tractor and wiggled that light and checked if any others were out on that side--- so, it amazed me that he still felt compelled to "make me aware" of that--- while I was sending messages about no empty trailers, etc.... actually it was probably this distraction that caused me to mis read the

"best i can do with no mty trlr is have u bobtail to BS, NC.... trip info follow..Kim"

When I asked him (the Crete Driver) if he'd grab the spare tail light bulb out of my side box and screw it in for me-- while I sent this message-- he declined my invite--- see, he really wasn't trying to be "that" helpful after all. I had to do it myself..

next load--

Ok, it's a drop a.s.a.I.CAN- on the Edwardsville end--
but the p/u is iffy

so so far this week---1078 in the bank-- 1797 by (Wednesday Morning or Evening- depending on when it's loaded and read to roll.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member

ok, got the Edwardsville, IL off - now setting up here at Manteno, IL waiting for them to load this overnighter going to:

Stop#1- Peosta, Ia 7am Friday
Final-- Ankeny, Ia 11am Friday

So that will probably finish out this week with 242 DH + 439 LD

for a grand total of-- 2478 miles this week-- and I didn't refuse a single load offer! Maybe I should have?

Anyway, I've put in for my vacation pay & time for the end of the month.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Week#18 = 2478 miles

Week#19 Begins-- Friday May 9th

Well-- it's noon on Friday and I'm spent-- driving all night and split my sleeper to make the last 2 deliveries on time.

so, now to keep the Crete A-Hole Safety people "happy"-- I need to give them a solid 10hr break--- really only needed about 6hr nap but since they technically don't allow us to split-- Even though I sent the qualcom message to dispatch asking if they wanted me to do a solid 10 hr break at stop#1- and then be VERY late to final-- they decided that making the delivery on time( and technically legal) would be in the best interest of the company.
I agreed since it was Friday and I wanted to be able to turn that one in.

So-- next dispatch is a single offer( which actually technically makes it a Forced dispatch)
was pickup -- 119 miles north at Mason City, Ia anytime before mid-nite, then a second pickup at 7am- Eagle Grove, Ia- 69 miles away-- then run

to N. Little Rock , Ar for 7am Sunday Morning- 710 miles between 7am-7am ( total of 889 miles in 33hrs)
considering I couldn't come off my Crete required 10hr break until 10pm-

First I planned on running up there and Just IN Time making the mid-nite p/u-- but then I looked at the rest of the trip( actually- didn't see that 7am pu until the actual Load Info arrived-- this presented a HOS problem-- I couldn't start my 14hr clock at 10pm-- then have only 6 hrs lost between #1 p/u and that set 7am p/u-- then still have enough time to run a full 682 miles off the 889 total- then have another 10hr break and still make the 7am sunday delivery.

So, I waited until 3am and ran up and squeezed in both p/u's back-to- back (late as it may be) then ran to Lamar, Mo and started my 10hr break- got up and started again at 1:30am and just made the 7am delivery on time.-- I hate having to run like a machine-- with a stop watch.

Now, this made 2 "all- nighter" in a row--

Sunday-- all they "had" for me was a 188 mile DH , up here to Fayetteville,Ar for a 7am-1700 P/U
Which it's now 10pm and it's not loaded yet! I've been here since 11:30am-

It delivers 730 miles to McDonough, Ga Wednesday Morning at 1:30am.

It's not gonna make it-- unless I "fudge' a phony break here at the shipper all day-- run all Night (again- 3rd load) ....
It's not gonna happen-- I can see when a pattern of "abuse" is going on.--
I'm taking a real 10hr break tonight--

918 miles for 3 days!( hard pushing- behind bad schedules)
behind a 900 mile (over-nighter)

and I'd still only have 1807 miles for 4.5-- actually 5days- out of possible 8day week( counting Friday twice)
Old 05-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Wednesday 14th, May

got my late load dropped in Mcdonough, Ga today at 11:30am

received the following load offer that will round out/ finish off my week.

McDonough, Ga- Spring Valley, IL

774 miles-

arrived at shipper (the first time) at 12:30 for a 4:30pm p/u-- was told it wouldn't be ready until AFTER 4:30. That I could park back in their drop lot until they NEED me....

told them I'd come back--

so- the trailer needed a washout anyway-- so drove down to T/A Jefferson, ga ex-201,

got washed out and sent a message to please include Jefferson in the route -- trailer needed washing out-- Dispatch did and sent the amended load info-- this time including the 38 extra miles.

So looks like Week#19 will be-

1809+774+38= 2621

Then sent a message off to dispatch that I didn't think this zone dispatch was working out for me, or that I wasn't adapting well to it. And who could I call there in Lincoln to have a "heart to heart" talk with-- because as I see it-- there's no one ACCOUNTABLE looking out to make sure all the dis-jointed trips out of the various Zones add up at the end of the week.

Take this weekend; Dispatched on Sunday Morning 188 DH, to pickup SOMETIME Monday, then deliver Wednesday morning 730 miles-- that's only 300 miles a day. Was told Friday they had Arkansas freight that could keep me moving over the weekend. Was told Sunday that -- that was all they had left(7am Sunday)...Then Monday when I talked to the actual dispatch in charge of the zone-- She quietly admitted that I shouldn't have been sent in there on that-- I told her(exactly what I was told Sunday) and that was on the qual-com... and she claimed there WERE several OTHER Loads available Sunday-- that I could have been put on.

P.S. the response to my message was:
call your fleet manager- and maybe he can/will put a note in the computer-- that will Flag when all the dispatchers pull up your truck- that I'm going to quit if I don't start getting miles.

hmmm, wonder just how long that temporary solution would solve a permanent problem... long enough to put a few dollars in the bank, then back to business as usual- I suspect.

disclaimer:
But for all you drivers not currently able to get 2500 miles a week average at you current- I'd really like to encourage you to call a Shaffer Recruiter asap-- still one of the best companies out there!
Old 06-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Week#20

Ok, as you can see I'm actually posting this 3-4 weeks later-- and I've got my week #'s messed up-- guess this can happen when you actually are kept busy for a week- then go home for vacation for 2.

so, here's week#20 that's followed with 2 weeks vacation time.

Spring Valley, IL
Franklin Park, IL
(load was going to Ft.Worth,Tx- but asked me to give it up to get another driver home-- so I did- as long as they keep me moving for the weekend--
which they really stepped up to the plate for me there-- way to go.
dropped this load in Kansas City, Mo Yard)
Bob-tailed after load in Council Bluff,Ia (yard) going to Columbus, Oh so:

Kansas City, Mo
Council Bluffs, Ia
Columbus, Oh
Havre De Grace, Md
Mechanicsburg, Pa
Memphis, Tn

total 3024 miles

not bad;
Old 06-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Week#21& 22

Paid Vacation
Old 06-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Week#23

Friday, Last day of 2 week vacation;

4:40 pm- Call dispatch to see what's cooking for Saturday-

Was Told they had me on a load that was already loaded on a spot trailer - in

Fayetteville, Ar-- Pinnacle Foods (same place that detained me week#19? all day) when they actually spot load trailers...at least dispatch got that right this time!

going to the usual place: McDonough, Ga-- for Tuesday 11pm delivery!

730 miles- Sat,Sun,Mon,Tuesday-

So you don't have to leave out really until Sunday or EVEN MONDAY!-- WoW arn't they nice-- I've just been off 14days - now, I can have two more! Wow...

Ok, I tell then thanks- but I already know it's actually a drop on the McDonough end-- and couldn't I drop it Monday Morning??????

OK, so now I don't have to leave the house until afternoon Saturday- can
easily be in Ga by Monday morning--- would have tried Saturday-Sunday-- but, probably wouldn't have gotten anything Sunday evening worth it.

Saturday Evening, I arrive at Shipper to find the PLANT shut down-- they had to shut the plant down and call the exterminator to bomb the food processing plant---so if you find something in your HungryMan TV dinner-- you've been warned! Anyway, my load wasn't there-- hadn't been loaded Friday-- as they had to cancel production that day--- seems the Shipping Manager claimed he sent a E-Mail to Shaffer Friday cancelling the orders...
But, appariently Shaffer claims they didn't get it-- so there's 126miles in vain. So, then:
Saturday night dispatch:

Load offer:
Pickup Russellville, Ar-- Monday afternoon 116 deadhead
Deliver Arcada, FL Wednesday 3:30 mp 1065 paid miles---

PcMiler 20.0-- had practical miles for same listed as 1100.

Ok, I take it-- then visit my Mother all day Sunday.

Loading and delivery to Wal-Mart Arcadia goes business as usual- except for the issue of not being loaded until LATE MONDAY--nothing negative to report.
next load:

empty 6pm Wednesday with 7hrs remaining on clock-- but already had a preplan-- because I asked about it earlier--
load picked up 10am following day goes 720 miles Whitsett, NC for Friday delivery window 5am-1pm. 52 mile deadhead.

I remind them- I have 7hrs remaining available that day!

told I was lucky to be preplanned on that--as it was the only available load in all Florida for the following day.( Right--as we discover next day)

Load info: does not say what the product is or that Shipper requires a Chute in Reefer to load.
Just says-- Del Monte-- Shipper

10am Thursday- I arrive at shipper on-time to find-- they are planning on loading fresh bananas-- and require a reefer with a chute.

Customer service-- asks me to ask shipper if they can load THE PINEAPPLES without a chute? because the load info at shaffer called the commodity pineapples( this is how messed up they are)

The old Sunflower trailer I'm pulling doesn't have a chute.
They won't load it--
Dispatch sends me 60 miles to swap trailers with another driver-- whom is just getting empty and going after a load of juice just around the corner--
guess there was at least 1 other load available in Florida.

I arrived at Shipper at 10am- took dispatch 1.5 hours to figure out what to do- where to send me- 2.5 hours later-- I arrive back at 2pm with the right equipment- 3hrs later I'm loaded ready to hit the traffic at 5pm on I-4 between Tampa- Orlando.

Now, I ask you-- 3 years ago- it cost Crete 200.00 to have a thermo-king dealer install a chute in a trailer- so I could go load ice cream-- the maintance department didn't want to pay for that-- instead they wanted me to take the trailer 150miles up to Stockton Cal drop it- and get another one-- so 300miles round trip -- then--

now, 3 years later-- with the cost of fuel going thru the roof-- they spend
over a hundred dollars having me chase down a trailer with a chute-

This is an example of spending Dollars to save Dimes!--- they've had YEARS to install chutes in all those trailers--- but, instead ...no.

Week total miles= 2187 6.5 days ok- I got to visit my mother Sunday a while but still. I had just came off 14 day vacation.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Senior Board Member

week#24

Transition Week:

Friday 13th, 2008

I final out around 7pm and rush to the Pilot for shower and transflow--

after being told I couldn't get a load offer until empty( which would be night dispatches honor) and might not load until Saturday Morning-- but there was plenty of North Carolina Freight. That was ok with me as- I only had 3 hrs remaining on my 14 clock...and missed the prior evenings shower...hey, staying clean is important to me.

So I reach the Pilot- and read the load offers:

(1) Rocky Mount, NC- Trenton, Oh-- picked up that evening 120 miles away-- delivered Tuesday Morning 0100. 570 miles Sat,Sun,Mon
(2) Rocky Mount, NC- Pittsburg, Pa-- same pickup by midnight 120 miles away 420 miles- Sat+Sun+Mon Deliver Monday Afternoon

Ok, either load I'd need to skip my shower to make it-- and both would have me Out of hours before signing the BOL. and setting there at Shipper for my 'break' 10 hrs.

So, I informed them of this small inconvience- and was further told-- If I didn't accept one of those loads-- there was nothing else available until Sunday! This-- after being told there was plenty of NC freight available.

I just added up my weeks production-- and found I had just topped 2100 miles in the last 7- days. And it sounded like night dispatch was threating me with setting all day Sat if I didn't accept one of those non-productive loads which would end up wrecking my productivity for the next week!
Hmmmm, regional work was looking better ...and better... 2100 in 5- days is better than 2100 in 7.

So I went in took my shower-- came back out and sent a message that someone could set my pta for as early as 5:30 am-- that would give me a solid 10hr break and be ready...

I got back a curt -- I've already sent out the only load offers available--

which that pissed me off even more-- he'll be going home by 7am when the 'Regulars' arrive-- and he's not going to show me available early Saturday-- as a reprisal for not covering one of those two loads...

Saturday Morning:

I get new load offer 8am---- Greensboro, NC- Dothan, AL delivers Monday morning 9am 500 miles Saturday+Sunday showed loading late saturday night 1900-midnight<<< but the kicker is-- Friday night before I went in to shower-- I talked to the Shaffer driver parked on the fuel island-- he was taking that load into the Greensboro yard and dropping it --then Friday night. So the load was actually ready there at the Greensboro Yard Sat+Sunday 500 miles

What has this industry came too! I'm more than willing to run 500 miles over night-- or even 500 miles 1.25-1.5 days--- but all this setting is killing me.
So before I called a quit.
I ran through all the 'communication'
I asked if it could be made productive- delivered early, dropped- Marietta,
Was there anything else- something that 'Could' be worked with---

nope, nope, nope,

I even asked for an equally non-productive load that would get me to New Kingstown to turn in the truck there--- as that would be a better place for them to have an available truck--
but, they then wanted me out of the truck asap-- nearest terminal-- Greensboro....

little more trouble for me... but... no one likes someone 'setting on the fence' very long anyway.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:19 PM

headborg...I feel for you. I went through the SAME with Shaffer last year myself. I also thought....how can I find another job quick which pays the same (or better?). In less then 3 weeks I started to work local. I am home every day without the B.S. I DO NOT work weekends unless I want to. And I will make an est. $10000 more local then I had with Shaffer in the years before. I wish you luck for the future!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

The wonderfulness of Regional Dispatch.......boy do I miss Crete...NOT!!!