User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default where to find the local jobs

With all the local companies with trucks, I can't find where they advertise when they need help. I've called many over the last few days, but so far no luck. I'm getting curious were a company with only a few trucks goes to look for their drivers.
I've looked at all the local boards, the paper, and the employment office...staill no luck. even tried Monster, Career Builder, Yahoo, and even Craigs List. Looks like JB Hunt knows all about Craigs List :lol: .

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Board Regular

Maybe try going right to their terminals and "knocking on some doors". Stranger things have happened. :wink:
Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I keep calling companies in the phone book. Normally I don't have enough experience. 6 months otr, and I've been driving tri-axle dumps the last year :cry:
Old 01-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
I keep calling companies in the phone book. Normally I don't have enough experience. 6 months otr, and I've been driving tri-axle dumps the last year :cry:
Sounds kind of like around here In PA where I live...You need experience, but nobody wants to hire you to gain said experience. :shock:
Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Board Regular

If your life allows you to go OTR then do the 2 years out on the road. Try some of the larger companies that have regional fleets to get that necessary 2 years under your belt.

I won't say that my 2 years were easy getting my OTR stripes on my shoulder but I did it so now I have that experience. Keep your driving record spotless with no accidents, log violations, etc. A local company will be interested in you with a good record.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, here's some of the story....

I was terminated last Febuary for going 35 in a 25. Ticket was remanded to a parking violation. So that's taken care of.
The week I was going to go back otr, I was involved in a minor rear end collision with a tri-axle dump.:roll:

Now that the safety termination is a year old, it's no problem. But now all the companies want to know if I was driving a semi for the last year :roll: . I was diving the dump for the last year. If I had known, I would have drivin a semi for the last year. I may have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit. I do have a chance to drive either a end-dump, or an asphalt tanker. might have to do either for the next year or so I guess :?

But then again, I might end up likng this company..ya never know :wink:
Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 AM
Default Ok

I am sure you know this but any company is not gonna see a MINOR rear end accident. Take the minor out and then you will see what they do.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:45 AM
Board Regular

Local jobs theory.

I have a local job. Right now it sucks!! No hours. Slow freight. Anyways.

You basically have 2 types of local jobs. Union and Non-union. Non-union should be a little bit easier to find. Union, well you gotta wait till at least March or April for the layoffs to come back. Then hope someone died that year to get in.

Once you are in be prepared to work little hours. Low man on totem pole theory. Unless your in the spring or summer, the hours are more decent. Since I have been with UPS Freight, the hours were awesome in the summer and fall. holidays hit and look out. I am only working 25-34 hours a week if lucky. If you are looking this way make sure you either have a wife that makes somewhat decent money and/or you have a savings account.

The only reason I am sticking it out is due to UPS Freight was not union. They are in the process on becoming union. We just signed our cards today and we hit the 50% mark here in this area so here we go. I already hold a union card from my last job at Sysco. Which in this area was union. Wow, the money rocked, the benes rocked, but their was no way in hell I was gonna do that for 30 years.

Okay so back to your question. I called every local job outfit here in the area. Filled out online apps every month, where available. Then the call came. I have not seen these companies advertise due to people like us looking. you have to have some timing in it as well. Do not give up.

Also, What do you want to haul. Ex do you want haul just fuel, or do you mind doing some flatbed work locally. These are questions you need to ask yourself. If you dont care then the options should open up for you a little. If you want to do just D & H, or unload Fritos, then you are probabay going to have to wait till the opportunity arises.

Well thats my 2 cents. Hope some of that info helps. I do have a tendency to ramble at times, sorry if longwinded.

GL
Old 01-31-2008, 04:09 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
With all the local companies with trucks, I can't find where they advertise when they need help.
Jobs that get a man home everynight and pay a good wage are in short supply and thus rarely hire. Jobs like OTR that work you round the clock and pay peanuts for your time are ALWAYS hiring.

Quote:
I've called many over the last few days, but so far no luck.
This is a bad time to be looking for local work since it's the traditional slow season for freight haulers. Plus the housing market is a mess, the dollar is falling, oil prices are hovering around $100/barrell, and the "r" word is on the tip of everyone's tongue.

However, freight should rise with interest rates being ratcheted down and the government stimulus package about to be rolled out. So in the spring/summer, you should see some openings.

Keep pounding the pavement, knocking on doors, submitting apps. You might get lucky. But even if you do land something, being bottom man in a sluggish economy during the wintertime means you get the scraps left over from the senior men.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Why dont you stay witht he tri axle dump?? I drive tri axle. I im laid off right now 8) Get 539 a week from unemployment. which is the MAX you can get in PA.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug