User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking Into OTR Again

Hi all! I'm looking to get back into otr driving and last job i had was 4 years ago driving a car carrier.
I live in SW florida and seems like only 2 places will talk to me is cypress and LCT. I want to team and i was leaning on LCT.
Anyone ever work for them? I must have 75 apps out and it seems like in 4 years truck driving has changed :roll: All i get is you need recent experience.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Board Icon

If you are wanting to team, you might check into Landspan. They are based out of Lakeland.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
If you are wanting to team, you might check into Landspan. They are based out of Lakeland.

I have and i dont have recent time in.. I'm to the point i'm going to take the 1st offer (LCT they called me today) and hope for the best. If anything i'll get my time back in :nervous:
Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Board Icon

Well, I hope it works out for ya. Best of luck to ya.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Rookie

Thanks! My team buddy backed out on me, he dont wanna train again. I belive he thinks he's gonna jump in a truck when i get mine. LOL
Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 PM

LCT pays a 9 CPM per diem. With the top pay for solo at 43 CPM. Take away the per diem and that drops to 34 CPM for TOP pay. Bottom pay is 28 CPM. Take away the per diem and it's 19 CPM. Where do you think you're gonna start? Bottom?

Per diem is a rip off. You ONLY get it on paid miles and most companies have a daily cap. To make your government daily allowance of $52 per day, you will need to run 577 miles EVERY DAY. Any more or any less and you are taking it in the a$$. So if you're not going to average 4039 miles a week, and believe me, you're not, you are gonna get screwed.

Not to mention taking a big hit on social security, gross stated income, and workmans comp.

LCT pays $50 layover AFTER 48 hours. what a screw job. Now also figure that you also LOST $104 in per diem as you drove ZERO miles for LCT for 2 days. So you sit for 2 days and it COST YOU $54 to do it.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farder
LCT pays a 9 CPM per diem. With the top pay for solo at 43 CPM. Take away the per diem and that drops to 34 CPM for TOP pay. Bottom pay is 28 CPM. Take away the per diem and it's 19 CPM. Where do you think you're gonna start? Bottom?

Per diem is a rip off. You ONLY get it on paid miles and most companies have a daily cap. To make your government daily allowance of $52 per day, you will need to run 577 miles EVERY DAY. Any more or any less and you are taking it in the a$$. So if you're not going to average 4039 miles a week, and believe me, you're not, you are gonna get screwed.

Not to mention taking a big hit on social security, gross stated income, and workmans comp.
WoW!! I think im gonna need a hugg.. Sad part is with out driving in the last 4 years im gonna hafta bend over :shock:

SRT,CRST,JB HUNT,Con Way,Swift...You name it i called and sent apps to them all! and its all the same old story.

If anyone can hook me up thats great. I expect to get training again. As for solo or team, I'd like to give team a try but right now i have a house to pay for and im not real picky
Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 PM

Weazz, I'm not trying to be a tool about it, but I wanted to point out the down and dirty for you. I'd say do 4-6 months with LCT and then GTFO. Knight will hire you with 4-6 months experience. I drive for them and they're ok, for me anyway. They have a terminal in the Orlando area IIRC.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farder
Weazz, I'm not trying to be a tool about it, but I wanted to point out the down and dirty for you. I'd say do 4-6 months with LCT and then GTFO. Knight will hire you with 4-6 months experience. I drive for them and they're ok, for me anyway. They have a terminal in the Orlando area IIRC.
Thanks farder,I'm hopeing to GTFO in 3 months. :lol:
But you gave me great info, I really didnt know how the diem worked. Heck i made more then that in the early 90's when you put it that way. :wink:
Old 01-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Rookie

Farder,

I think you need to take a step back and research per diem and obviously you have no clue what you are talking about. All there 9 cpm is is an estimate on per diem. Basically it all comes down to at the end of the year, you look at how much per diem you claimed through the carrier versus what you are allowed to claim. If you are out 250 days you are eligible to claim $13,000 in per diem. Now at the same time if you ran 110,000 miles you would have claimed $9900. What you do is you claim the rest at tax time. You do not loose that other $3100. Basically by using per diem you are getting money week after week instead of at once when you get your income tax return. People think there income tax return is free money, when in essence you are overpaying the government. I don't know about you but I would rather get my money throughout the year because the government don't pay you interest on your money, but the bank does. It always amazes me how drivers complain about per diem when it basically is a tool.