User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

igor,

Please explain to me how you get your Social Security contributions bumped back up to non-per diem levels at the end of the year. You don't pay SS taxes on company paid per diem and neither does the company. So how do you get that back?

Also, please tell me how you get the bank to think you made $50k gross (which you did) but your W-2 says you only grossed $36k because of per diem. The house you wanted to buy and could have afforded to without company per diem just got downgraded to a used trailer. And when you get hurt, I hope you enjoy starving to death on your greatly reduced workmans comp check.

You may be right in what you posted, dunno, didn't research it and not gonna. There's plenty of other reasons to NOT take company per diem as I posted. And if you really can't survive without that "extra" $50 in your weekly check you get from per diem, you either suck at personal finances or drive for peanuts.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 PM

Just claim as many dependents as you can each week on your W-4 , i.e. married and 5,6,7,8,0r heck even 9, I did it already and if i owed any thing at end of year I just paid it to uncle sam. It is legal. . Its your money, and the IRS dont pay intrest to you for keeping your money in their treasury all year long.Dont work for a company that makes you take per-diem in your check every week because you are just helping them out by lowering what they have to pay each week in FICA tax on your check since it is based on your gross wages. This keeps what they have to pay on their workers comp premiums lower, thats why they want you to take the cpm per-diem rate. Just take the $52.00 a day your allowed and times it by 0.75 like you are allowed in 2007 without showing receipts.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Rookie

well I don't know about you, but my w'2s and pay stubs show both per diem and taxable wages. Any banker can figure out that one. Also, I have never had a work comp injury, but from what I hear is that all that takes is a little extra paperwork and that is taken care of. It is as simple as that. PM me if you wish and I will give you the number of a CPA that will clarify the advantages if you wish. I have plenty of money in the bank from smart decisions, one is getting that $50 a week and investing it and collecting interest off of it instead of letting the goverment hold if for me all year. The government doesn't pay interest.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Rookie

Good idea but for those of us that has to pretty much take what they can get, just starting out or been idle for some time your stuck. The GTFO thery is still my best option til i get my time in.

Its been awhile i drove otr and i dont recall the diem thing back in the late 80s early 90's. And i drove instate with a car carrier a few years ago no mention of it then either.

But im learning alot, So keep them comming!