User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How many jobs is too many?

OK, I'm going to ask it even though I might get some flameage from some folks. How many jobs IS too many. I have a perfect driving record, never damaged a piece of equipment, and never had a customer complaint. My emplyment record, however, is.....well.....not good. I have had 14 jobs in the last 10 years. Some I left due to long commutes, some I left due to poor equipment, one I got fired from due to a personal injury, and a couple that were seasonal with winter layoffs. I am currently laid off from my current job driving tri-axle dumps as well. I want to work and can't stand sitting home collecting unemployment. I fear, however, that not too many companies are going to even give me the time of day when they see my employment history. I've avoided doing personal applications in favor of internet ones so I don't have to hear the comments from the HR folks.

Do I still have chances in this industry, or am I stuck with a seasonal job for a few years till things look better on my part?
Old 01-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Senior Board Member

You may be able to go with some mega carriers like Swift, CR England, Stevens and Schneider. But with that many jobs the decent companies probably won't look your way. Try and find a bigger company and stick with them for two years. That will help some.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Default Re: How many jobs is too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
OK, I'm going to ask it even though I might get some flameage from some folks. How many jobs IS too many. I have a perfect driving record, never damaged a piece of equipment, and never had a customer complaint. My emplyment record, however, is.....well.....not good. I have had 14 jobs in the last 10 years. Some I left due to long commutes, some I left due to poor equipment, one I got fired from due to a personal injury, and a couple that were seasonal with winter layoffs. I am currently laid off from my current job driving tri-axle dumps as well. I want to work and can't stand sitting home collecting unemployment. I fear, however, that not too many companies are going to even give me the time of day when they see my employment history. I've avoided doing personal applications in favor of internet ones so I don't have to hear the comments from the HR folks.

Do I still have chances in this industry, or am I stuck with a seasonal job for a few years till things look better on my part?
I talked to a old boss of mine whom I respect more than any boss I've ever had. And He said as long as there were legit reasons for breaks and/or lay offs in employment, he'd always consider the prospective employee. For example seasonal jobs is obviously #1. He also said he likes to see at least a year with your past employers. And as long as the jobs were consistently in the same field. Seeing that you have a clean record always helps. But any employer will more than likely hire a person that has been with their current job the longest and also have a good driving record. In our industry it's hard to find a solid company that is "the one" I'm still looking myself. It's frustrating.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: How many jobs is too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager

Hehehe.....

Over the last 10 years, I have had around 20 different jobs. Some didn't even last a day..... I just refuse to do unsafe activities, or operate unsafe equipment.

So I know how you feel. As long as they can verify where you have been, you will be ok.

Good luck.

Hip, hip, hip, job hoppin along. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 01-28-2008, 02:57 AM
Board Regular

I have been in trucking for a little over 1.5-years. I am on my 4th company. No one seems to mind, except my wife. The insurance changes drive her nutz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
You may be able to go with some mega carriers like Swift, CR England, Stevens and Schneider. But with that many jobs the decent companies probably won't look your way. Try and find a bigger company and stick with them for two years. That will help some.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:24 AM
Board Regular

i was just reading on several companies web-sites these were descent companies i use that term sparingly the max.they would do is 4 jobs in 3 yrs. just my 2 pennies worth.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Senior Board Member

You guys may think I am crazy but whatever. I had my first job for 4 1/2 years before the company went broke. I have had my present job for 11 1/2 years and am looking to start my next job and I feel like a job hopper. Crazy huh?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
You guys may think I am crazy but whatever. I had my first job for 4 1/2 years before the company went broke. I have had my present job for 11 1/2 years and am looking to start my next job and I feel like a job hopper. Crazy huh?
You've done well. I am not proud of my job history, and am often too embarrassed and ashamed to even fill out applications.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Layoffs and companies going out of business or companies relocating and taking the job with them usually do not count against you, or if they do the damage is minimal.

What you will likely find is that if you do not have recent OTR experience (within the last 1-3 years) this is going to be a bigger obstacle than the numerous jobs. As mentioned some trucking companies could care less how many jobs you have had as long as they can verify them in some way while others do.

When you do find a job, do your best to stay with it for at least 1 full year if not 2 before switching.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Layoffs and companies going out of business or companies relocating and taking the job with them usually do not count against you, or if they do the damage is minimal.

What you will likely find is that if you do not have recent OTR experience (within the last 1-3 years) this is going to be a bigger obstacle than the numerous jobs. As mentioned some trucking companies could care less how many jobs you have had as long as they can verify them in some way while others do.

When you do find a job, do your best to stay with it for at least 1 full year if not 2 before switching.
Well, FWIW, I've only been in the tri-axle pictured in the avataar a little over 6 months. Prior to that I've always been a trailer driver.