User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Well, FWIW, I've only been in the tri-axle pictured in the avataar a little over 6 months. Prior to that I've always been a trailer driver.
So, tell me,..... when you were drivin that trailer,....... where the hell did you sit?

sorry, i had to.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeeeeezer
Quote:
Well, FWIW, I've only been in the tri-axle pictured in the avataar a little over 6 months. Prior to that I've always been a trailer driver.
So, tell me,..... when you were drivin that trailer,....... where the hell did you sit?

sorry, i had to.
I didn't. I had the kingpin hooked to my belt and just pulled the thing around by myself!

I couldn't resist, either! :wink:
Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeeeeezer
Quote:

sorry, i had to.
I didn't. I had the kingpin hooked to my belt and just pulled the thing around by myself!

I couldn't resist, either! :wink:
What kind of belt is that? I need something to take care of my dunlap.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:

You've done well. I am not proud of my job history, and am often too embarrassed and ashamed to even fill out applications.
that makes two of us :sad:

i've worked at some good companies (Southeastern Freight Lines, Mclane Distribution, Fedex Ground, Estes) and none of them have ever said anything about my job history.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Default Re: How many jobs is too many?

Quote:
OK, I'm going to ask it even though I might get some flameage from some folks. How many jobs IS too many. I have a perfect driving record, never damaged a piece of equipment, and never had a customer complaint. My emplyment record, however, is.....well.....not good. I have had 14 jobs in the last 10 years. Some I left due to long commutes, some I left due to poor equipment, one I got fired from due to a personal injury, and a couple that were seasonal with winter layoffs. I am currently laid off from my current job driving tri-axle dumps as well. I want to work and can't stand sitting home collecting unemployment. I fear, however, that not too many companies are going to even give me the time of day when they see my employment history. I've avoided doing personal applications in favor of internet ones so I don't have to hear the comments from the HR folks.

Do I still have chances in this industry, or am I stuck with a seasonal job for a few years till things look better on my part?

Don't blame yourself for job hoping, blame the companies. Companies are getting away from define benefit pension plans to a define contribution plan.
The define benefit plan would keep employees around for most of the working lives at one employer because they had to much to lose if they left.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Default Re: How many jobs is too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josborn

Hehehe.....

Over the last 10 years, I have had around 20 different jobs. Some didn't even last a day..... I just refuse to do unsafe activities, or operate unsafe equipment.

So I know how you feel. As long as they can verify where you have been, you will be ok.

Good luck.

Hip, hip, hip, job hoppin along. :lol: :lol: :lol:
About the same here. It's been my experience that no matter how many jobs I've had (around 35, I think) I can always get another job if I keep my driving record clean and can actually DRIVE. It seems, according to the employers I've talked to and my personal experience, that good drivers are nearly impossible to find. And they know the industry bites in many ways, so it's almost expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Don't blame yourself for job hoping, blame the companies. Companies are getting away from define benefit pension plans to a define contribution plan.
The define benefit plan would keep employees around for most of the working lives at one employer because they had to much to lose if they left.
Here ye, here ye. Seems like if they treated us a little better we might stay. My boss can't seem to understand why I don't like to work 14 hours a day 6 days a week. My dispatcher works a 'normal' work week and still expects me to keep on truckin'. "It's part of the job" they say. Well, it shouldn't "be the job" to work a bizillion hours without reasonable time off, it just ain't right.
http://eastcoasthoppers.com/