User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutTrucking
I tested out yesterday. They didn't issue me a truck because safety has a red flag on me. I need to get the company a prescription, and since I need to see the doctor first, it might be a few days. I'm still going to look for local work though. I just have a bad feeling about this company.
If you do work there and go to work on their open 48 board or a regional board ,and are not on a dedicated run I would like to see you outline your weekly experiences with them as far as trips/miles/compensation /And weekly earnings .
Old 12-30-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I tested out yesterday. They didn't issue me a truck because safety has a red flag on me. I need to get the company a prescription, and since I need to see the doctor first, it might be a few days. I'm still going to look for local work though. I just have a bad feeling about this company.
You know Interstate Distributor from Tacoma, WA has a training program when you just have your CDL you'll have to go with a trainer for about 6 weeks but they allow pets on truck. Also US Xpress same thing. I drove for the IDC and now for USX, lot of drivers will have bad things to say about each of them, but since you have no experience, I'd say try to get with 1 company for at least 1 year and then you'll know at least a bit more about the industry, where not to go etc. and you'll be able to make better decisions because you'll know more. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Rookie

Why would you go from CFI to a small company , and then back to a big company ,And choose Werner instead of going back to CFI :?: I know how you can get a good truck just go back to CFI done deal ,and a pay raise to boot . :wink: I didn't catch that you had experience I thought you were fresh out of Werner's 275 hour course after just getting your CDL ,But you have options...USE THEM GET OUT NOW !!! :wink: Werner is a place that is low paying ,And has twice as much BS as most OTR companies , And if you do have an incident working there you may end up not having so many choices in employment elsewhere ...GET OUT ...RUN...TURN IN THE KEYS !!! :lol:[/quote]

Well, what I did was get a job in northern lower Michigan where I have a house and 20+ acres. My wife and I planned on moving back there when I got the job with the small company. After being there 2 weeks, the company was notified by their insurance carrier, that I and another driver would not be covered because we didn't have the minimum of 2 years in. Hence, I resigned from there. So, I came back down here and notified CFI. All went well until the afternoon before I was to pick up my old truck. I called the recruiter to see if there was anything else to do when I got back to the terminal in Taylor. That's when she finally sprung it to me that CFI wouldn't take me back because of an "accident" I'd had back in June. Yes, I did knock the door of a trailer. No, there was no damage to my truck or trailer, and to this day I still feel the door from the other trailer was already on the ground. In other words, I really don't think I hit anything at all. They called it an accident, Werner and the other company I drove for had ZERO problem with it.
Talk about being floored!!! I got the impression that the "recruiter" had no intention of telling me any of this, and letting me find out when I got back to my terminal. CFI can shove it. Oh, but can I reapply as a new hire this next June.
Why Werner? They were the only company I dealt with that would put me back into Canada, there may be others, I really don't know.
So far, I've been deadheaded from around Quebec city, and yesterday from eastern Ontario, close to 500 miles, so I could have my hometime. I can say this much, my DM seems to take care of me.
About my beater. I talked to Kris and he tried to get me to Indy the past couple days. It didn't happen because of the load. He had me scheduled to go to Indy on Saturday, with a load out of Montreal going to Cali. I ended up swapping loads with a driver in Stonyridge, because he couldn't go to Canada. I'm waiting to see what happens before I pass any judgement.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Rookie
Default CrazyTulip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTulip
Quote:
You know Interstate Distributor from Tacoma, WA has a training program when you just have your CDL you'll have to go with a trainer for about 6 weeks but they allow pets on truck. Also US Xpress same thing. I drove for the IDC and now for USX, lot of drivers will have bad things to say about each of them, but since you have no experience, I'd say try to get with 1 company for at least 1 year and then you'll know at least a bit more about the industry, where not to go etc. and you'll be able to make better decisions because you'll know more. Good luck!
How long did you drive for Interstate and how do you compair Interstate to US Xpress? I also drove for Interstate and am considering US Xpress, I tried to PM you but don't have enough posts.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Default Re: CrazyTulip

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmb
Quote:
Quote:
I'll PM you then LOL
How long did you drive for Interstate and how do you compair Interstate to US Xpress? I also drove for Interstate and am considering US Xpress, I tried to PM you but don't have enough posts.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:49 PM

Ok maybe not as I cannot send em either. :evil: Anyhow, are you a solo driver or team?
IDC was a good company, nice people, good equipment, just not alot of miles. We drove 8 months for them as a team. I know their reefer side is worse on mileage than dry box so if you are considering it, go dry box. Oh nvm you drove for them already LOL - blonde moment. US Xpress is also OK, even though a lot of people have a lot of negative stuff to say about them, they are the same mileage wise as IDC though. But I think it's more of a nationwide problem rather than company. We are not on the regular fleet so we don't have the sitting and waiting issues as we constantly run, even have to let them know in the beginning of the week that I want a shower and do laundry or we won't have time for it. We are not on a dedicated but on a traffic lane, which is kind of similar but not quite if it makes any sense :roll: We run 5500-6500 miles on average a week. Then also we just got a brand new Volvo (2008) that only had 22 miles on it, as our other truck (a 2007 Volvo, so also still good) had 183,000 miles on it and they don't want their teams to put more than 180,000 miles on the trucks; then you get a new truck.
You are allowed to have 1 pet on the truck, deposit is $500.00, if you have a cat you have to have the front paws de-clawed.
If you have any more questions just let me know!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday
Why would you go from CFI to a small company , and then back to a big company ,And choose Werner instead of going back to CFI :?: I know how you can get a good truck just go back to CFI done deal ,and a pay raise to boot . :wink: I didn't catch that you had experience I thought you were fresh out of Werner's 275 hour course after just getting your CDL ,But you have options...USE THEM GET OUT NOW !!! :wink: Werner is a place that is low paying ,And has twice as much BS as most OTR companies , And if you do have an incident working there you may end up not having so many choices in employment elsewhere ...GET OUT ...RUN...TURN IN THE KEYS !!! :lol:
Well, what I did was get a job in northern lower Michigan where I have a house and 20+ acres. My wife and I planned on moving back there when I got the job with the small company. After being there 2 weeks, the company was notified by their insurance carrier, that I and another driver would not be covered because we didn't have the minimum of 2 years in. Hence, I resigned from there. So, I came back down here and notified CFI. All went well until the afternoon before I was to pick up my old truck. I called the recruiter to see if there was anything else to do when I got back to the terminal in Taylor. That's when she finally sprung it to me that CFI wouldn't take me back because of an "accident" I'd had back in June. Yes, I did knock the door of a trailer. No, there was no damage to my truck or trailer, and to this day I still feel the door from the other trailer was already on the ground. In other words, I really don't think I hit anything at all. They called it an accident, Werner and the other company I drove for had ZERO problem with it.
Talk about being floored!!! I got the impression that the "recruiter" had no intention of telling me any of this, and letting me find out when I got back to my terminal. CFI can shove it. Oh, but can I reapply as a new hire this next June.
Why Werner? They were the only company I dealt with that would put me back into Canada, there may be others, I really don't know.
So far, I've been deadheaded from around Quebec city, and yesterday from eastern Ontario, close to 500 miles, so I could have my hometime. I can say this much, my DM seems to take care of me.
About my beater. I talked to Kris and he tried to get me to Indy the past couple days. It didn't happen because of the load. He had me scheduled to go to Indy on Saturday, with a load out of Montreal going to Cali. I ended up swapping loads with a driver in Stonyridge, because he couldn't go to Canada. I'm waiting to see what happens before I pass any judgement.[/quote]

If I didn't think I hit the door I would be asking for proof that I did it ,And if they couldn't produce it then it better not be on my record , But besides that still seems to be a rather petty reason to turn you down as a driver .

I hope you get a good truck shortly before this one falls apart .
Old 01-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Ok maybe not as I cannot send em either. :evil: Anyhow, are you a solo driver or team?
IDC was a good company, nice people, good equipment, just not alot of miles. We drove 8 months for them as a team. I know their reefer side is worse on mileage than dry box so if you are considering it, go dry box. Oh nvm you drove for them already LOL - blonde moment. US Xpress is also OK, even though a lot of people have a lot of negative stuff to say about them, they are the same mileage wise as IDC though. But I think it's more of a nationwide problem rather than company. We are not on the regular fleet so we don't have the sitting and waiting issues as we constantly run, even have to let them know in the beginning of the week that I want a shower and do laundry or we won't have time for it. We are not on a dedicated but on a traffic lane, which is kind of similar but not quite if it makes any sense :roll: We run 5500-6500 miles on average a week. Then also we just got a brand new Volvo (2008) that only had 22 miles on it, as our other truck (a 2007 Volvo, so also still good) had 183,000 miles on it and they don't want their teams to put more than 180,000 miles on the trucks; then you get a new truck.
You are allowed to have 1 pet on the truck, deposit is $500.00, if you have a cat you have to have the front paws de-clawed.
If you have any more questions just let me know!
I would be Solo, was with IDC just a short while, may go back or with U S Xpress, will be in March. I like the Auto's so would be with either as they are the only "Auto's" out there.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:25 PM

whats up with orientation? how long and what will happen?

I'm going to Werner next week
Old 01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtryanxpress
whats up with orientation? how long and what will happen?

I'm going to Werner next week
Two guys who went to school with me hired on to work with Werner. One of them gave me a call today. He's done with his orientation (arrived on 12/29, and finished already) and now he's in a hotel waiting for a trainer. He said he was talking to someone who has been waiting many, many weeks for a trainer.

Where are you doing orientation? You may be at his hotel if he doesn't get a trainer soon.