Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
Where are you doing orientation at? Medford, or Pacific?
Ummm...I don't really know, yet. ops: They're both about an equal distance from my home, but I've had no luck contacting my recruiters for the past couple days. What are they, vacationing with their families or something? Not that I'm sweating it; I'm nothing if not flexible. I figure it doesn't matter which terminal I do orientation at, but if one would be better than the other, please tell me.

BTW, kona, your blog was what introduced me to GTI. I've been lurking here for a couple of years, and I followed your driving career from the beginning. You made GTI sound like a good company, and they've been at the top of my list ever since.

CDL test tomorrow. Wish me luck.
I think about GTI each and every day. I had it damn good and I left for this crappy local gig...doh!!!

Hope everything goes well for you. I really enjoyed it there.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Rookie

I worked for May for a brief period of time. Horrible miles, awful dispatch, and it goes downhill from there. GTI has a much better reputation. May sounds and looks good but don't buy into it. I really starved.

Mad Hog
Old 01-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Rookie

When you go to GTI you will fill out your paperwork, sign your contract/work agreement, take a road test and then they will assign you to a trainer.

Kona911 and I had the same trainer at GTI.

to Kona - Curtis has had to chain up 18 times over tha last 22 days. That's what happens when you get on a dedicated fleet (mail run) the freight must go thru.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 AM
Rookie

Also GTI has one of the best paying starting pay, iff'n you don't mind being called a Smurf
Old 01-01-2008, 02:33 AM

As Kona said, the GTI trucks with the drop axles are part of their heavy haul fleet. The four axle (one axle being a drop axle) trailers are for that fleet. They are based out of Clackamas, OR. The positive part is the heavy haul fleet gets through their yard frequently so home time is better than in other fleets. The bad part is just trying to park your car, let alone a trailer or truck at that yard (Fri-Sun).

I wouldn't expect to see the three axle trailers much longer. When I left the trucks were licensed for 80k versus 88k when I started. If you want to pull those, sign up for the Canadian Fleet.

My only advice is to pick the fleet you think you'll like best. I'm sure each one has positives and negatives to it. Certain things may be liked or disliked more by you than by others. It's just a matter of trying to find the best fit for you. You can always change fleets if wanted. Best of luck whatever you chose to do.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying W
The bad part is just trying to park your car, let alone a trailer or truck at that yard (Fri-Sun).

haha, I hear that! Seems like everyone based out of that yard is home during the weekends... That place gets filled up so fast it's annoying and to add to it those local guys like to padlock the mt trailers with their own locks so you can't take it! Major BS. Theres also another yard in Portland down by jubitz the gti shares with Haney... But a lot of those trailers are jacked to take over to GP... It's all a game.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMadHog
I worked for May for a brief period of time. Horrible miles, awful dispatch, and it goes downhill from there. GTI has a much better reputation. May sounds and looks good but don't buy into it. I really starved.

Mad Hog
I can only guess that MadHog drove the 11 western states. I think the 48 state division gets better miles. I know I got 3000 miles/week easy in 48 div. May have a lot of drawbacks though that to me makes your off time much less comfortable. As has been mentioned, their idle policy pretty much sucks. Yea, you can call in and let them know that you had to idle the night before, but you have to do that EVERY time just about and then you have to worry that the dispatcher remembered to add the time. THEN, if they didn't you have to fight to get the money back. It's a royal pain in the ass. They have bunk heaters for the winter... but they make this damn clicking sound when they suck the diesel out and If you're a lite sleeper (like me) you don't get the best sleep. Oh, and if you're running 48 states you're running reefers, again if you're a lite sleeper that reefer going off suxxxxxx. May is reallllly anal about their logs. Not that they shouldn't be but jeeze..

I had safety tell me that I should log my fuel time for 15 minutes AFTER i finished fueling. For example, lets say you pull into a Pilot and start pumping at 8:30. Normally I'd log 8:30-8:45 fueling. He said log it as 8:45-9:00 (because their qualcomm time was off a little i think). So I asked the guy what did he think would happen if I logged as he suggested but pull out of the Pilot at say 8:48 go down the on ramp and I see MR. DOT's blue lights and pull over.. he ask for my log and it show's that by then, 8:50 I'm still fueling but here I am on an on ramp with him. The safety guy was silent for a minute then said maybe I should log it as I suggested. Ummm, duh... no kidding Einstein.

Anyway, May's not bad if you don't mind all the nit picking but as has been mentioned, Gordon may be better. I don't know about them myself.

GL
Dok
Old 01-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm going to go with May if nothing else happens during this year, apart from getting some college units in.
I discussed my rollover accident with a recruiter and I was told that I needed a one year gap.
This sounded very promising to me as I'm looking to relieve myself of a trucking school bill in a marginally, faster fashion.
I also talked with Gordon, and they pretty much offered the same thing as well.
Until then, I'll just keep taking classes and working my other job to keep me occupied.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:27 AM

My fiance started out with GTI and I (and he, when he's being humble :wink: ) wishes he would have stayed!

He had a very green DM when he started and he could not get along with her. They kept him moving and dispatched on the weekends - not the case with f/b, which he drives now. They would, however, call your butt very late if you were on hometime, which didn't go over real well with me!

GTI is family owned and many family members work there in addition; most for quite awhile. He made good money and was kept busy - everybody needs TP! :wink: They do NOT charge for every little thing related to the truck unless there was negligence on the part of the driver. Also, they are governed and are very safety conscious.