User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Like everything else...the tanker industry is being hit hard by economic conditions...we are the first to see a slow down...but will be the first to see the turn as well.

CY you young pup...how's things???
Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
I thought tankers would pay much better than the last post. For all the danger and responsibility.
Tankers do pay "much better".....at least the "chemical tankers" do. Food grade for the "most part" pays much like box and reefer.....mainly mileage pay....with the exception of "Carry Transit".

There is no more, I repeat..NO MORE danger in pulling a tanker than a box or reefer, or flatbed for that matter. Its the driver not the tank that can be "dangerous". Responsibility? All jobs have responsibilities, and while maybe we have a little more of it than some.... I can't really see that much. I pull strictly "chemicals"....and often times...the only real responsibility I have is to move the load safely from point A to point B. My responsibilities when pulling hazmat loads are the same as when I pulled a van with hazmat... except that now...I have probably less chance of exposure to the hazardous materials than before.

Granted, I sometimes have to offload hazardous materials, but then... my paycheck reflects it...even when offloading non-hazmat. Like a paycheck for a week with 2668 miles....that was $1416.61....which amounts to 53 cents per mile. It all depends on variables....but I make much more now than I did pulling a van.

Dangerous? No....not at all. Level of responsibility? About the same overall....at least to me. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

:moose: BUMP :moose:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
I thought tankers would pay much better than the last post. For all the danger and responsibility.
NO MORE danger in pulling a tanker than a box or reefer, or flatbed for that matter. Its the driver not the tank that can be "dangerous". Responsibility? All jobs have responsibilities, and while maybe we have a little more of it than some.... I can't really see that much. I pull strictly "chemicals"....and often times...the only real responsibility I have is to move the load safely from point A to point B. My responsibilities when pulling hazmat loads are the same as when I pulled a van with hazmat... except that now...I have probably less chance of exposure to the hazardous materials than before.

Granted, I sometimes have to offload hazardous materials, but then... my paycheck reflects it...even when offloading non-hazmat. Like a paycheck for a week with 2668 miles....that was $1416.61....which amounts to 53 cents per mile. It all depends on variables....but I make much more now than I did pulling a van.

Dangerous? No....not at all. Level of responsibility? About the same overall....at least to me. 8)

I guess your right not much more responsibility. Than I think your over paid and are in need of a pay cut. Keep advertising for your company.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
NO MORE danger in pulling a tanker than a box or reefer, or flatbed for that matter. Its the driver not the tank that can be "dangerous". Responsibility? All jobs have responsibilities, and while maybe we have a little more of it than some.... I can't really see that much. I pull strictly "chemicals"....and often times...the only real responsibility I have is to move the load safely from point A to point B. My responsibilities when pulling hazmat loads are the same as when I pulled a van with hazmat... except that now...I have probably less chance of exposure to the hazardous materials than before.

I guess your right not much more responsibility. Than I think your over paid and are in need of a pay cut. Keep advertising for your company.
go to bed
Old 04-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Responsibility...is relative. We have our responsibilities, and they probably exceed the normal "box or reefer" drivers concerns....but its mainly in the realm of "Safety Protocols". Overpaid? Hardly. I think we are paid "reasonably"....though it could be better. All things considered....its rather good.

The difference between us and others....like box and reefer haulers as well as skateboarders....is the fact that we actually get paid for our time. Our employers realize that our time and the truck's time has value...so we are compensated for the time. While you might spend 12 hours sitting waiting to get loaded or unloaded....and receive absolutely nothing for your time or trouble....we start our time the minute we hit the property, and it doesn't end until we leave. If you think you're not good enough to get paid for your time or efforts....thats entirely up to you. Frankly, I place a value on my time, efforts and knowledge, and I do expect to get compensated for them. Me, I definitely prefer the way we get compensated...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Quote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Responsibility...is relative. We have our responsibilities, and they probably exceed the normal "box or reefer" drivers concerns....but its mainly in the realm of "Safety Protocols". Overpaid? Hardly. I think we are paid "reasonably"....though it could be better. All things considered....its rather good.

I place a value on my time, efforts and knowledge, and I do expect to get compensated for them. Me, I definitely prefer the way we get compensated...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am glad you get paid for your work..and thats the way it should be. But look at pumpkin for example:

SCHNEIDER NATIONAL

Breakdown Pay (after 24 hours):
$70-90 (depending on experience), then after eight hours $40 allowance for hotel.

Layover Pay (after 24 hours):
$70-90 (depending on experience), then after twenty-four hours $40 motel allowance.

Canada Border Crossing Delay Pay (after 2 hours):
$20, then $10 each additional hour.

Holiday Pay:
$40/day for six major holidays.

Funeral Pay:
$40/day for three days for funeral of family member.

Training Pay:

Inexperienced (Need training): $0 for 14 days of Pre-hire training, $350/week for up to four weeks,, plus $130 two-day training.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Evinrude wrote:[quote]I am glad you get paid for your work..and thats the way it should be. But look at pumpkin for example:

SCHNEIDER NATIONAL

$70-90 (depending on experience), then after eight hours $40 allowance for hotel.

$70-90 (depending on experience), then after twenty-four hours $40 motel allowance.

Holiday Pay:

Funeral Pay:

Training Pay:

Inexperienced (Need training): $0 for 14 days of Pre-hire training, $350/week for up to four weeks,, plus $130 two-day training.

And how is that bad compared to a regular freight-hauler who isn't compensated for anything other than holding the steering wheel and putting miles behind him/her?

Allow me to display "Exhibit A" for Pumpkin...

Loading/Unloading/Detention Pay:
$25 per live load/unload, then $10/hour after 3 hours.

So when a driver does a low-ball figure of only 200 loads/unloads total annually and, pessimistically only 50% are only live load/unload, that said driver only made an additional $2,500 before figuring in any extra delay time. Nope not smart at all...

Tank Wash Pay:
$20

How much does a reefer driver receive getting his/her trailer washed out when necessary for the next load? Last time I checked it was $0.....

Short-Haul Pay (in addition to mileage and accessory pay):
0-100 miles: $40
101-200 miles: $20
201-300 miles: $10

Every little bit adds up!

Holiday Pay:

Beats not getting paid anything at all.

Funeral Pay:

How many general freight haulers get paid for this? Seems not many that I can recall. True, some of SNI's pay rates may be low but, it's not as bad as CTL's, and even they (CTL) get paid for much of the stuff they do. Though they are deifnitely a stepping stone to better companies.

Now if you wanna dog on pay scales, we can talk about the "easy" food-grade all day long (Bynum, Caledonia, Indian River/North American Tank Lines, Oakley, Opies, and Ruan.) You know, low to mid thirties for mileage rate and the potential (and most likely, the need) to run your azz off week in, week out and get all the miles you can handle and then some......... :roll:

But still, even with knowing now what I do about "easy" food-grade after running it for a little more than three years, there is without a doubt in my mind that there is no easier O.T.R. driving position out here than that. No driver loading or unloading, just safely transport it from Point A to Point B (more on this below). And many of the deliveries are first come, first serve. Yes, the more productive drivers are the ones who hustle to get to the receiver asap and keep moving. If you wanna take your time and lounge around you can do that as well and still get great miles. And if you play your cards right, you can get plenty of home time, miles, and free time out on the road. It just sucks due to the low mileage pay though and lack of accessory pay.

Now talk of food-grade companies where the driver handles much of the unloading and it's a whole different ballgame, since they are compensated for their time as well just as chemical tank companies (Carry Transit, Foodliner, L.C.L., and Transport Service Company to name a few). :wink:

Now back to the above-mentioned note... This is why I enjoy my current position on the dedicated account I am on for Superior (albeit as an O/O). It is a combination of the best of everything I have personally wanted and had with food-grade, though with much better pay, benefits, and load scheduling. I am truly able to take off as much time as I desire, all of my assignments are on pre-loaded tankers, and when I get to the receiver they unload it (provided it's Huntsville, AL, or Bristol, VA). Then a simple turn around back to either the plant or the yard in Indiana, and repeat cycle. Do three loads a week, get through the house going and coming each way, then spend the weekend off with my soon-to-be wife and step daughter. Run that cycle for about three to three-and-a-half weeks, then bounce down to Florida and visit my son for a week minimum. It works for me.

Which btw, on my way home to Indiana now and dropping this dirty tank, then taking off 'til at least Tuesday morning. I have a very important date I simply cannot miss, or Baby Bullseye will have my azz in a sling!!! :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Cyanide,
Where is the Superior yard in Indiana? Also, I looked up Demotte. Pretty darn close to Roselawn? LOL 8)

Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Board Regular

[quote="Cyanide"]Evinrude wrote:[quote]I am glad you get paid for your work..and thats the way it should be. But look at pumpkin for example:

SCHNEIDER NATIONAL

Holiday Pay:

Funeral Pay:

Training Pay:

And how is that bad compared to a regular freight-hauler who isn't compensated for anything other than holding the steering wheel and putting miles behind him/her?

Allow me to display "Exhibit A" for Pumpkin...

Loading/Unloading/Detention Pay:
$25 per live load/unload, then $10/hour after 3 hours.

So when a driver does a low-ball figure of only 200 loads/unloads total annually and, pessimistically only 50% are only live load/unload, that said driver only made an additional $2,500 before figuring in any extra delay time. Nope not smart at all...

Tank Wash Pay:
$20

How much does a reefer driver receive getting his/her trailer washed out when necessary for the next load? Last time I checked it was $0.....

Short-Haul Pay (in addition to mileage and accessory pay):
0-100 miles: $40
101-200 miles: $20
201-300 miles: $10

Every little bit adds up!

Holiday Pay:

Beats not getting paid anything at all.

Funeral Pay:

How many general freight haulers get paid for this? Seems not many that I can recall.

Evtnrude wrote:
I get the following, haul general frieght and I thought this was bad:

Mileage rates:
USA Miles: $0.43/Mile

PICK UP & DELIVERIES
Full Load Customer

The following rates apply whenever the driver is required to live load or live unload at a customer's location. The driver must have backed the trailer into the location, supervise the loading or unloading, sign the bills and depart with the same trailer.

1st Stop $34.00
Each additional Stop $14.00 each

If the driver is performing P&D work directly for a Terminal, the driver will be compensated on an hourly basis at the following rate.

Hourly Terminal P&D - $22.41

MACHANICAL BREAKDOWNS
The driver will be entitled to be compensated for a delay incurred that is a direct result of a mechanical breakdown of the equipment. The compensation will be as follows;

Per hour rate payable from time of breakdown - $15.00 per hour
Maximum of 8 hours per 24 hours

Initial Dispatch Delay:
Any delay (dispatch or company equipment) that prevents you from attaining miles at your scheduled start time will be compensated at $15.00 per hour for every hour until departure.

NOTE:
None of the delay payments are applicable if the cause of delay can be considered "ACT OF GOD".
Example: Extreme weather, power failures.

REQUIRED TRAILER WASH DELAY:
1 hour will be paid to drivers required to stop and wash trailers while on the road.
Dispatch must be advised prior to having trailer washed.
LAYOVER ALLOWANCE
USA Layovers:
Driver will be compensated a flat rate of $150.00 if you do not receive a dispatch within ten (10) hours from time you are empty and available for reload.

BORDER CROSSINGS:
Drivers will be paid an allowance as follows for clearing loads at the Canada/USA border.

Southbound-$5.00 per shipment Maximum $50.00 per load.
Northbound-$5.00 per shipment Maximum $50.00 per load.

NY CITY BONUS:
Drivers dispatched into one of the five (5) boroughs of New York City will receive an allowance of $150.00.
The five (5) boroughs are Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, and Staten Island.

SAFETY BONUS:
Each driver is entitled to receive a $0.02/mile quarterly bonus on all paid miles.
To receive this bonus, the driver must comply with the following:

Have no preventable accidents for the quarter.
Comply with the company uniform policy for the quarter