LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Decision Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Did you catch the "To Catch a Predator" marathon on MSNBC today? Notice the guy in the Covenant truck bobtail up to the house and try to solicit a 13-year old girl for sex? They caught the dude and searched his truck and found crack-cocaine and meth. Did a background check and he had a rap-sheet a mile long: attempted burglary, attempted assault, another felony.

What other "profession" can a guy like that find a job except OTR trucking?
Hmmm, would you believe.....local school bus driver! Or driving a roach coach or even a ice cream truck. Sick-O's are everywhere.....keep 'em prisoner on a semi rolling down the super slab. Or locked up. Makes the residental neighhoods safer.

Quote:
You might be sleeping next to someone like that at the next dark and desolate pickle park
Not likely, the pickle parks are all filled up by the time my clock strikes 14- by the Solar powered "good buddies" parking to play grab ass with each other and hoping to get picked up by a Idaho Sinator.

Quote:
In fact, I remember sitting shotgun in a guy's truck one time while he pulled out some blow and did lines off a mirror.
Lucky you're not in jail. Careful, you are judged by the company you keep!

Quote:
If it's such a great job, why the 120% annual turnover rates
hmmm, because some people quit twice in the same year! Other companies calculate turnover by Truck---they have to re-assign the same truck more than twice in the same year.

You have to seperate the JOB from the Bull Shit Company.....
if you go with a smaller company they can make the JOB a much better experience.
I'm convinced these larger companies that have this large turnover rate....
know how to fix the problem by now...it's just they don't want to.....they actually LIKE 120% turnover....they've built an entire Machine around IT-
Herd 'em IN- watch em quit in 6-months.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
know how to fix the problem by now...it's just they don't want to.....they actually LIKE 120% turnover...
That is a pretty ignorant statement. Why would they want that kind of turnover? Have you considered the cost of bringing in new drivers at that rate? And the mega carriers that train new drivers? All of them have recruiting departments where their sole purpose is to hire drivers. Have you considered the cost of the salaried or commissioned employees? I asked the recruiter for my company the cost of bringing me in. When you factor in advertising, cost of orientation, salary during 8 weeks f training, the cost comes to around $8,000. Believe me, if companies could figure out the dilemma of the rediculous turnover rate there would be no more recruiters and the turnover would probably be in the teens percentage range like the LTL carriers.

I also asked the recruiter why there is so much turnover in OTR trucking. He said that is the "million dollar question". That response can only mean that if they could solve the turnover rate they would in a heartbeat. The answer is simple. Turnover is so high because of the lifestyle. What normal person wants to spend weeks and weeks at a time away from home? People with no friends or family fit the bill. But unfortunately for OTR carriers, most people have friends and family and want to be around them. The remainder I recon are just degenerates that can't stay at the same place for long and are lured by the million different companies out there that promise greener pastures.

CFM, you were a little low on the turnover rate. It is more like 132% so far this year.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:54 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
know how to fix the problem by now...it's just they don't want to.....they actually LIKE 120% turnover...
That is a pretty ignorant statement. Why would they want that kind of turnover? Have you considered the cost of bringing in new drivers at that rate? And the mega carriers that train new drivers? All of them have recruiting departments where their sole purpose is to hire drivers. Have you considered the cost of the salaried or commissioned employees? I asked the recruiter for my company the cost of bringing me in. When you factor in advertising, cost of orientation, salary during 8 weeks f training, the cost comes to around $8,000. Believe me, if companies could figure out the dilemma of the rediculous turnover rate there would be no more recruiters and the turnover would probably be in the teens percentage range like the LTL carriers.

I also asked the recruiter why there is so much turnover in OTR trucking. He said that is the "million dollar question". That response can only mean that if they could solve the turnover rate they would in a heartbeat. The answer is simple. Turnover is so high because of the lifestyle. What normal person wants to spend weeks and weeks at a time away from home? People with no friends or family fit the bill. But unfortunately for OTR carriers, most people have friends and family and want to be around them. The remainder I recon are just degenerates that can't stay at the same place for long and are lured by the million different companies out there that promise greener pastures.

CFM, you were a little low on the turnover rate. It is more like 132% so far this year.

If all these large carriers don't want a high turnover than why do they bring thousands of new hirees into orientation with FALSE promises?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Because they have to get meat in the seat. Freight needs to get where it needs to go. Someone with half a brain shouldn't believe a word a recruiter says. If you fall for the greener pastures mantra that is your own fault.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Seems spending millions on Turnover is kinda ignorant too......they've been asking DRIVERs for years How to fix the problem...but they still don't fix it.

They and the Drivers have fixed the "lifestyle" problem you mentioned...by killing OTR almost completely with Regional/ Short haul...so drivers can get home more often. But they still don't want to PAY the drivers what their worth....and still drivers quit....and they keep pouring more "new" drivers in at the top of the bucket...and WON'T fix the problem.....you think the recruiters want to lose their job?
The truth is...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to drive a truck...why pay one driver .50cent a mile when you can get 2 for the same price. Why put up with a experienced "pain in the ass" driver that's already learned all the "lies"
and "games" they can play on you, when there's fresh meat out there....you can get them to "hold the steering wheel" and "teach" them the way you want it done- and they'll spend 6 months with you then either get out of trucking all together or go looking for greener pastures.......but all the companies pay ball with each other and offer the same "smoke and mirrors"...... .32-.45 cent per mile

how many miles will I get?
well, you'll get between 2500-3000 miles a week.
can you guarantee that?
well...no we can't(won't) guarantee anything.

Do you really believe it costs 8,000 dollars to get a "butt" in a seat?
Do you believe everything those RECRUITERS tell you?

JBHunt used to send people to trucking school....then take $25.00 a week back out of their check...promising if they stayed a year they would "forgive" the remaining balance. And threated to charge the balance of this schooling if a driver quit in under a year.
What they didn't mention to the drivers was--they were turning in a claim to JTPA( federal tax dollars) for every driver.
How much money do you think it cost to take out a full page ad in
TruckerConnection? How many phone calls you think they get with one ad?
What kind of volume discount do you think they get with Grayhound? and the Motels where they put you up for orientation( 2 to a room)?

ONLY Ignorance is continuing to spend millions and not solving a problem....unless they KNOW it would COST them MORE to fix the problem. That money would be in OUR pockets.

Shaffer/Crete claims to have a 40% turnover rate.....guess that explains a
few things don't it!
Pay your drivers well
Load select
Hometime
and they will put up with a lot more crap.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Believe me, if companies could figure out the dilemma of the rediculous turnover rate there would be no more recruiters and the turnover would probably be in the teens percentage range like the LTL carriers.
Have you considered that most LTL carriers are UNION! and pay UNION hourly wages....but also have regular Layoffs(lots of HOMETIME there)

Now if you were a recruiter--- and the Boss asked YOU how to cut your own throat....would you tell him how to solve this age ole dilemma or would you just 'scratch your head' and go back to business as usual.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Board Regular

stay away from stevens and central. U can be away from home for a long time with WS.

CFI was bought by Con-way. Not sure if you can transfer between the two. If you can, set your eye on slipping over to Con-way somewhere down the line.

Pulling reefer you would be better of with a Shaffer (Crete) or Marten. Stevens will try to get you run team. I think CRF has that nasty Utah connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65
I just got back from a hiring seminar here in Fresno, CA, for Stevens Transport. I was kind of surprised that they offered my a job and to start training Monday, I declined saying that I was still weighing my options, and would not commit to anyone until after the first of the year. His exact words to me were; "Can you start training Monday?, You have a very clean record and we would like to have you work for us." Is this normal to offer someone a job so quickly? What's the process for hiring new people? Do all companies move so quickly? I just don't want to make a decision too quickly.
The other companies who I am considering are CFI, Watkins Shepard, Central Refrigerated, and Schnieder. I'd prefer to do my training close to home, but don't want rule someone out just because training is in another state, if they are a better company to work for.
I am prepared to be on the road for at least a year, my wife just left her job to be a stay at home mom, and plans to be off for a least 2 years. We have talked at lengtth about this and agree it is what we should do.
Any input on the above mentioned companies would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Board Regular

I ran Roehl. You will want out before the contract expires. The pay is low, benefits are expensive, and they are overall cheap to their drivers. The 7-7 and 7-3/4 require slip seating - very aggravating.

FRom what I see Schneider keeps improving, but you are still one driver out of like 14,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth
If you have a clean record , all the companies that take newbies will hire you right away .

If you live by LA , Roehl hires out of there you may want to look into them , they are a good starter company , along with Gordon Trucking out of Washington .
Old 11-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Been following the comments on this topic. Most of the comments are true to some degree. Just remember that with the big carriers that everyone knows and sees running down the road are the ones to usually avoid.

After over 2 decades at this game, I have found that a driver's best chances of contentment are usually with the regional type carriers that are usually of the 500 truck or less variety.

They usually (not always) have a little stiffer hiring standards and there are fewer of them that do training programs, but the rewards are far better. Usually the "atmosphere" at the company is more friendly and you are known by name rather quickly by everyone. They are usually more flexible regarding home time for special occasions, doctors appt, etc. The odds of getting home weekly all the time are far greater with a regional carrier. Usually the same customers on a regular basis and that makes things easier for the driver as well.

Sure... maybe you won't always get the highest pay per mile or the latest, newest truck to drive. But your job satisfaction goes up considerably. I gathered the original poster was from west coast. There are a LOT of regional opportunities there. I live in the Midwest and I have driven for a regional carrier for the last 8 years and would never consider the large mega-carriers and operate nationwide again.

After all this time driving, I have hauled a lot of freight to various places and have figured out that NO carrier needs to keep a driver away from home longer than 7 days... 10 at the outside. If a carrier keeps someone on the road two weeks or more.. they are not doing freight planning very effeciently and the driver suffers for that weakness.

If someone is just dying to see the U.S. and Canada, then disregard this and go with a mega-carrier. They will make sure you get around the U.S. If you are looking for a career, then I advise that most people avoid the mega-carriers until those carriers get there collective act together. They are not terrible carriers most times, but a driver can usually do far better going regional. Just remember that there are a lot of times that the mega-carriers call up the regional ones to get them to cover regional runs for them. We get calls all the time for this.

The opportunities for new drivers aren't as broad with regional carriers, and a driver really has to do a little more research in finding those carriers, but the reward is usually worth the effort.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
Place Stevens at the bottom of your list, there're many other starter companies better than Stevens.
"Can you start training Monday?, You have a very clean record and we would like to have you work for us." Is not a normal pitch by a reputable recruiter, you won't be hired by any company until after you complete ALL training including time with a company trainer/finisher, written tests, road tests, drug tests, physicals, and are upgraded to a first seat or solo driver. BOL
Stevens did the same to me when I applied there.It raised a flag :withstupid: I basically told them i was exploring my options and would get back to them as Im looking to start the first of the year. I have recently applied to millis and transport america. They seem pretty decent. They are the first companies saying that they will send me approvals in the mail and not baraging my answering machine with messages . No other companies I have talked to have done that.( wont hear from cfi til december about january classes.

The companies I am truely considering right now:

Millis
Transport America
CFI(conway)
Pam(last resort)