Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking I'm still happy!

2008 Totals
Taxable Gross: $55,687.16
Hub Miles: 113,514
Avg.: .490/mile
Days Working: 218 (60%)
Days Home: 148 (40%)

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
Rob, I stop by that yard frequently and am always placarded. All they ask is that you park in the back corner of the yard by the flatbed. The terminal is nice for only having seven or eight drivers running out of there. They have fuel, a decent shower which is separate from the bathrooms, a small shop, and a driver room with a t.v. (unsure if the cable has ever been fixed in there though), drink machine, snack machine (exact change only!), microwave, sink, and couch. It's a very quiet facility and a good place to get a night of restful sleep. Also, about three miles away is one of the gyms I frequent on my route so if you ever want to go there it's available. The plus about the gym is that they have just enough room in their back lot to park truck and tank while you work out and shower.

The only other Carry yard I'm familiar with is the one at my other home in Jacksonville (FL). It's located off of Alta Drive, about five miles north of Southern Tank Wash there at Pulaski Road. That one DOES NOT allow placarded tanks in the facility, and has but a bathroom only in addition to Tony and Christine's offices (terminal manager and dispatcher). So if you need a shower while there you would need to use the one at the tank wash or, stay at one the crummy truck stops in the immediate area. Yuck!
Thanks Cyanide. Next time I get one of these loads I will check it out. I would always be empty with a dedicated dirty tank that they top load. Its either dry bulk or one of those rubber lined liquid tanks not hazmat.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Carlo.........I was talking with a few drivers at the J at Whiteland yesterday. 3 of them were Indian River drivers and 2 were with Opies (?)

After we were all done telling lies to one another, I began to wonder about those two carriers, Indiana River and Opies(?). How do they compare with Superior and the tanker OTR industry overall?
I see Carlo hasn't answered.....he's probably still snickering about what he's going to answer with..... So I will answer it as simply as I can: There is no comparison. I would not drive for either of the others. I would probably do do better panhandling on a street corner or scrounging for aluminum cans on the road sides.

I'll leave it to Carlo to fill in the blanks

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I spoke with Carlo this afternoon.....He said that he drove for Indian River for a while, but only as a stepping stone, had little good to say about them..... He had nothing negative about Opies....and frankly I have never heard anything bad about them.....

When I spoke with IR's recruiters a few years ago.....I had to laugh, two big reasons: 1. The cost of the health insurance back then was way over $200 a month for my wife and I, and no matter how many weeks you were out on the road....they didn't want you to take more than 2 days off....:angryblue: For me thats an immediate "KMA", and the cost of the health insurance was a joke.

Carlo mentioned getting home....parking the truck at IR's Winter Haven location, then driving home to Jax....on a Friday evening, and then they called and tried to make him return to work that Saturday.... Carlo was not a happy camper then, but then he says he didn't go back until the following Wed, which he says upset them slightly, but then he adds that they are a company that thrives on threats to the drivers and intimidation, and he seemed to heat up talking about them..... but I'll let him fill you in on the details.....:smokin:

Wow, now we got some "cute" emoticons".....like these:

:smokin::bow::ranting::drunk:ops::brownnoser::ba nana2:

Oh, BTW....Carlo says he is like me....he is not leaving Superior unless he wins a big lottery winning or something actually too good to be true actually happens.....but I know he is smart enough (like me) not to hold his breath waiting for that to happen.....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 AM

hey guys..

Thinking about joining superior carriers out of either Memphis tn or Nashville tn which yard do you recomend? I think Memphis is a tad bit closer but were only talking 15/20 miles
I want to run system or out 5/7 home 2/3 or whatever 8/10 3 home within reason.

Think I can get in either terminal talked with both managers at each . Said they would take me just when did I want to come. 2 week notice and all that stuff done I can go to Kingsport for orientation jan 26

Have a few questions for any of you superior guys ...

Uniforms ? ( hope so)
Fuel stops? ( pilot, loves etc)
Insurance good ? ( health family covg)
They say mileage pay is 41.5 ?
Drop 20 birth 10 hr pay 13.??
Logging ??? Hopefully they don't try to kill you do they give plenty of time from point A to B ? ( not a truckstop junkie just like to stay compliant)

Assigned trucks ?
Showers? Terminals ( do they have. Any)
What's your over all view of company ( positive or neg)

Little on me ...
10 plus yrs
Last job / Walmart private fleet
Income $ 69,954.17
Left walmart due to company cut backs on the general merchandise side and me with 5 yrs with company was 123 out of 125 drivers with 5 yrs but anyway bottom seven were sent packing or take a transfer to Lewiston Maine to pull dry grocerys ( no biggie except it is over 1800 miles to relocate at my expense. Thought about it now I have 3 girls 13,8,7 I couldn't uproot them I talkedto them they wanted to stay home. Walmart offered this position for they knew no one would move that far by law if they offer you a comparesble position for same pay (which it was) and u don't take it u RESIGN which relieved them of having to pay out benefits (unemployment) to u.
Anyway I resigned took local job just can't make ends quiet meet .

Enough of my sob story....

Can I make close to 60/63k at superior or more?

No tickets
No accidents
Hazmat
Tank

Thanks guys ....
Old 01-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Exclamation

cyinade

I was in the CORP too...

Small world devil dog ...

0341 94-98

Marine barracks Washington DC
95-98
A Company 2nd plt (earthpigs)

U go to
Sandiego ( I went Hollywood)
Or the island

Semper Fi
Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky24 View Post
hey guys..

Thinking about joining superior carriers out of either Memphis tn or Nashville tn which yard do you recomend? I think Memphis is a tad bit closer but were only talking 15/20 miles
I want to run system or out 5/7 home 2/3 or whatever 8/10 3 home within reason.
Should not be a problem....

Quote:
Think I can get in either terminal talked with both managers at each . Said they would take me just when did I want to come. 2 week notice and all that stuff done I can go to Kingsport for orientation jan 26

Have a few questions for any of you superior guys ...

Uniforms ? ( hope so)
Shirts issued, annual pants allowance of $75.00 after 1st year. I wear jeans. They provide all PPE.

Quote:
Fuel stops? ( pilot, loves etc)
ALL Loves, TA, Petro, Irving in NE as well.... 50 gal limit out of system for emergency fuel. Many terminals also have fuel....they like us to use that when available, I say that because a few of them do not have COMDATA card readers, so they are locked after office hours.

Quote:
Insurance good ? ( health family covg)
I pay $37.00 a week for my wife and I, includes prescriptions, and dental after 1 year. No complaints on their plan from me. Bills have gotten paid without problem.

Quote:
They say mileage pay is 41.5 ?
Loaded is 41.5 and paid on practical miles. We do our own routing, though you can get a suggested routing from them. 34.0 empty practical miles. Necessary Out of Route miles are paid as required.

Quote:
Drop 20 birth 10 hr pay 13.??
Some pay rates are alittle different depending on the terminals. I get $10 for D&H, Hourly rate is $13.30. First two hours of loading and unloading time is paid $20.00 anything over two hours is @ $13.30, figured on quarter hours.

Quote:
Logging ??? Hopefully they don't try to kill you do they give plenty of time from point A to B ? ( not a truckstop junkie just like to stay compliant)
Compliance GOOD, they expect/demand it. All runs are made legal, and enough time is allocated without a problem...if you are loaded late...and time is squeezed, you let them know and arrangements will be made. If they catch you cheating on the logs, you might get one warning...after that... buh-bye....

Quote:
Assigned trucks ?
Yes, no slip seating. Some of the trucks are older, but fleet is in renewal.

Quote:
Showers? Terminals ( do they have. Any)
Most do....but there are a couple of small ones that don't have showers. We also have access to Carry Transit yards and their facilities...they are our "sister company" and part of SBL. Carry is food grade, and generally we can go into their yards for fuel and parking. Some may not want you there with a hazmat load...but it depends on the size of the yard.

Quote:
What's your over all view of company ( positive or neg)
The only way I am leaving this job is if I win a big enough lottery winning that I never never to worry about money again. I plan on staying here until I retire. I've been here over two years...almost 28 months and the "honeymoon" is not over yet.

Quote:
Little on me ...
10 plus yrs
Last job / Walmart private fleet
Income $ 69,954.17
Left walmart due to company cut backs on the general merchandise side and me with 5 yrs with company was 123 out of 125 drivers with 5 yrs but anyway bottom seven were sent packing or take a transfer to Lewiston Maine to pull dry grocerys ( no biggie except it is over 1800 miles to relocate at my expense. Thought about it now I have 3 girls 13,8,7 I couldn't uproot them I talkedto them they wanted to stay home. Walmart offered this position for they knew no one would move that far by law if they offer you a comparesble position for same pay (which it was) and u don't take it u RESIGN which relieved them of having to pay out benefits (unemployment) to u.
Anyway I resigned took local job just can't make ends quiet meet .

Enough of my sob story....

Can I make close to 60/63k at superior or more?

No tickets
No accidents
Hazmat
Tank

Thanks guys ....
Bummer what happened with wallyworld!! It should be doable if you run the system and stay flexible.... by that I mean if the freight is there right now...and you don't have to keep a cut in stone get home schedule....it shouldn't be a problem. I know we have guys making that much or more....

In addition to the other pays you mentioned:

$10 a night to sleep in trk.

$50 if you get a delivery in the boroughs of NYC.... I haven't done one yet.

$15 to cross Canadian border, and if you are delayed....hourly pay applies.

$20 and higher if you stay with tank to wash.

$13.30 or terminal hourly rate is paid for all "breakdown time".

$13.30 or terminal hourly rate is paid for all bad weather shutdowns/delays.

If you are held over at an outside terminal for more than one night...company paid motel. NO fleabags....decent motels.

Layover is paid after 15 hours, paid for 8 hours, then sit 10, paid 8, and so on at hourly rate.

9 paid holidays, and 2 to 5 personal paid days per year based on longevity. 2 weeks paid vacation at end of first year (48X13.30 or terminals hourly rate), grows to 5 weeks with 24 years service.

Company paid life insurance up to $50K, company paid short and long term disability.

Automatic 401K plan of 3%....unless you opt out in writing, or you can dedicate the amount. You determine where it goes....

Me, I have ZERO problems with Superior.....and plan to be here a long time....at least til I retire.... Simply put.... I'm a happy camper!:thumbsup:

Last edited by Skywalker; 01-10-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member

kentucky24.... I sent you a PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:33 AM

skywalker

I will call u Saturday around 10/11 is this cool? I don't have enough post to PM I stay on the board late I am at my daughters b b game at half 31/ 27 we are up

Yeah walley world suck ( they way the did of with no warning) at all I had a week well 10 days to decide.
Great job though while it lasted
Hub miles 43.75
875 drop
650 hook
42 sleeper birth( every night)

I am used to 100 percent legal at walley if u went 7 mins over vilolation
I like legal running less hassle no worries on compliance..

Which terminal would u choose

Nashville tn. Or. Memphis tn

168 miles Memphis 177 Nashville

I want the best terminal

I drove 250 each week for walmart our trucks stayed at the yard also during home time
Old 01-10-2009, 03:10 AM

I love it here. Have ZERO complaints about the company after 1 year of service. They know how to treat the drivers thats for sure. I'll be here as long as they'll let me stay.