User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CELADON.....tell me about them,the good,bad,and ugly

Been considering going to Celadon trucking,pay is a little low,everyone starts out at .34cpm,but,drive 30000 miles and you get $1000 bonus,second 30000 miles you get another $1000 and a week off and it goes on like that as long as you are there,so the $1000 bonus will put you at .37cpm and 1/2cpm raise every 60000 miles(I think that was right)with no cap, sounds like a good deal,some body talk to me and give me the real scoop :roll:
Old 11-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Board Regular

My son worked for them for 2 years. Was ok until the last 4 months. Millage went from 2800-3200 a week to 1500 to 2200 a week. Famous quote "No freight". They go through dispatchers as fast as McDonald's makes burgers.
He now went with Arrow flat bedding. Loves it.....
Old 11-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply,beginning to think no one had ever heard of Celadon,yes!freight was slow for awhile,thats the reason I stayed where I was, then talking to other drivers it was picking up,but not where I was.so a lot of us left for greener pastures,the few drivers I had talked to had no real complaints with Celadon and they do give the bonus and week off after just 30,000 miles,think I'm going to give them a call and get set up for orintation after thanksgiving.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Board Regular

Expanding on this thread, my son just called. He was at the scales just now when a Celadon driver pulled up. My son asks the driver how was he doing...
After he calmed him down so he could understand him, every other word was a cuss explicative, the driver been running under the Celadon banner for 4 months, before that had 19 years with the other company that Celadon bought out so this was not a new driver. He really does not think he can make it to retirement working for Celadon??? You name all the bad things about a company and he had them all to complain about... The other driver was not a happy camper at all. Thought I would pass it on.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Senior Board Member

They hire a lot of Mexicans for cheap money according to other posts.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon
They hire a lot of Mexicans for cheap money according to other posts.
Yeap, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to be the "first" to state that.....some could take it as "racist"...

I'm considering going to Celadon....but these are my "downside" concerns;

I'm currently making .465x Xmiles----Celadon has offered .36x Xmiles
which is a 10 cent/mile cut...so making up that kind of difference with more
miles( on a BAD week would be hard)
2) lot of Mexican drivers......and don't know what condition I'll find the Truck in that I'm assigned to.
3) heard of long layovers down at Border waiting for freight.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replys,the one thing that keeps pulling me in their direction is the time off and bonus,talked to the recruiter the other day and I told him flat out,if I don't get decent miles,to get the week off and $1000 bucks and be able to pay bills,then I'd find me another job,don't start with me with lies at the beginning,I know thats a joke,then again I might look around for something local.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Rookie

i worked for Celadon for 5 months and i never got treated badly...i averaged 2900 miles a week and was home every other weekend. i quit because of personal reasons.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Default celadon

Celadon took me after I got in trouble with Crete and had to leave them for a year. They will take almost anybody. I got paid .34 (15 years experience). I averaged 1850 miles a week. I got to know the wait staff at the Golden Corral in Laredo on a first name basis. (Not unusual to sit there for 3 days because of the 'no freight' line). Dispatchers have no idea what's going on. They just hand out loads as they are passed along to them. Turnover is unbelievable. They hire and put thru orientation about 100 drivers per week. That means about 100 drivers per week quit. You can get the week off, $1000 bonus with no catch. It took me 4.5 months to get my first bonus (no money with #1) and almost 3 months to get the second bonus. It figures to be 4 cents per mile bonus. They have a really hard time counting days off. 5+ 2+ =3 days available. HUH??? If you are desparate for a job, look into Celadon. They will plug the hole in the dam for a while.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: celadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmegobye
Celadon took me after I got in trouble with Crete and had to leave them for a year. They will take almost anybody. I got paid .34 (15 years experience). I averaged 1850 miles a week. I got to know the wait staff at the Golden Corral in Laredo on a first name basis. (Not unusual to sit there for 3 days because of the 'no freight' line). Dispatchers have no idea what's going on. They just hand out loads as they are passed along to them. Turnover is unbelievable. They hire and put thru orientation about 100 drivers per week. That means about 100 drivers per week quit. You can get the week off, $1000 bonus with no catch. It took me 4.5 months to get my first bonus (no money with #1) and almost 3 months to get the second bonus. It figures to be 4 cents per mile bonus. They have a really hard time counting days off. 5+ 2+ =3 days available. HUH??? If you are desparate for a job, look into Celadon. They will plug the hole in the dam for a while.
Yep...that's why I wasn't jumping at that option myself...they offered .36 which for me is a 10.5 cent cut. A Crete driver I just ran into other night with 9months experience keep going on and on about their $1000.00 bonus at the completion of 30,000/ and that 1 week off.

For me- with that 10 cent pay cut up front- that 1000.00 still leaves me in the hole behind what I could have been making.. and I told him the "gift" of a week off didn't interest me either-- when my Truck reaches the House...I don't come back out until I'm ready...I don't need them to "allow" me or "ration" me time off. But so many of these Newbee's have been trained to thank like slaves it's unreal.