Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Company with big sleepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebarber383
Does anyone know of a company that allows small children (18months) AND has trucks with sleepers like 120 inch plus...
CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18 YEARS OLD DO NOT BELONG IN A TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:x
I couldn't disagree with you more! (now I think it's completely foolish to have a BABY on a truck) Some of my BEST memories I have of my dad were the summer trips I would take with him in his truck when I was in elementary/junior high school.

You're dead wrong when you say "children under the age of 18 years old do not belong in a truck"
I think you missed my point. Taking a older child for a week here and there in the summer is one thing. Having a child grow up in a truck is another.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 11-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Double R is correct young kids should not be in a truck all the time. its a little different if your child rides in the truck with you lets say from your house to the truck stop where the other parent can take the child home but not in a truck all the time. isnt like the standard size sleeper with problebly 95% or even more what companys are putting on trucks like 70 inches? some are smaller and some are a little bigger its only the owner operators (a select few who have light loads all the time) and bed buggers who have the big sleepers. I know personally i wouldnt want to back something with a monster sleeper into some of the places in chicago or into a job site where its tight already
Old 11-06-2007, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Double R"] As for the topic, THERE ARE NO OTR COMPAINES THAT HAVE SLEEPERS THAT BIG! AND NO OTR COMAPNY WILL ALLOW A CHILD OF THAT AGE TO RIDE IN A TRUCK! The insurance compaines will not allow it!
[quote]

Just for the sake of playing devil's advocate I know of at least on large OTR company that will allow children that young. If I recall rightly though they have to be accompanied by a non-driving parent or caregiver. Might have been tempting if I didn't have 3 of them not one :lol:

As far as children not belonging in trucks I agree an 18 month old has no business FULL-TIME in a truck, especially at that age they need to be able to move, explore, and investigate the big world around them. However, I wouldn't see a problem with doing it once in a while, but I'm sure others disagree. I currently having a 4 year old waiting (very impatiently) for his 5 year old birthday so that he can go out with Daddy (TMC's age limit). However, even at that age there is NO way he's staying out anything approaching fulltime.

As far as the big sleepers, the only OTR company I know of with larger than normal sleepers is Maverick, and then I don't believe its all of their trucks, or that the ones that are large are THAT large.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:01 PM

I drive for Maverick,trust me the sleepers aren't big enough for an 18 month old.They are single bunk except for the trainer trucks.You mentioned your 5 year old son going with your husband.Don't know how TMC is but Maverick has several customers that don't allow anyone under the age of 18 years old to enter their property.Particularly steel mills,lumber mills and some sheetrock plants.Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Board Regular

TMC riders are 5 years old and up. HOWEVER...... as stated previously, most places, IE; steel mills, mines, and some shingle plants will not let someone into the plant that is not hired with the company doing the transporting or if the rider is under 18. i have seen drivers not able to load at the mines because the rider was small and the driver/security guard didnt want the kid to stay in the guard shack or visitor waiting area
Old 11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflap276
TMC riders are 5 years old and up. HOWEVER...... as stated previously, most places, IE; steel mills, mines, and some shingle plants will not let someone into the plant that is not hired with the company doing the transporting or if the rider is under 18. i have seen drivers not able to load at the mines because the rider was small and the driver/security guard didnt want the kid to stay in the guard shack or visitor waiting area
Not only those listed but most warehouses have the same policy. No one under the age of eighteen allowed past security.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 11-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflap276
At least as my husband was told the dispatchers work with them as much as possible to avoid the places the children can't be. At least thats the story in orientation and from his FM. The current working plan is not to even leave my son with him overnight at all though, but rather to do a little extra driving on my part, such as when my husband is headed home, and let him ride in the truck with daddy for several hours at a shot. Hubby runs hard, and pushes often, and just isn't sure about "Daddy I have to pee" , "Daddy I'm hungry" and where he would sleep Hubby usualy stops twice a day max other than where he spends the night, so it would interfere with his style, BUT my son is dead set on riding in that TRUCK! LOL
Old 11-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Board Regular

As a father of four, I could not imagine a WORSE idea. Children deserve and expect a CHILDHOOD. NOT your low expectations for a "job". Any company that would allow a child that young in it's vehicles either does not have insurance or is just another garbage OTR company. Children need to breath fresh air and go to school (even a pre-school) and PLAY, NOT roam around the country sitting at shippers trying to be quiet while YOU try and "sleep"...Kids need STABILITY and a place to call home. I don't give a rat's ass who thinks I'm "close-minded"...You had the child, they MUST come FIRST. A sleeper (ANY sleeper-no matter how big) is NOT a home...Mandatory sterilization anyone ???? Flame me, I don't care. It's the kids who count, not your crappy JOB...
Old 11-06-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
As a father of four, I could not imagine a WORSE idea. Children deserve and expect a CHILDHOOD. NOT your low expectations for a "job". Any company that would allow a child that young in it's vehicles either does not have insurance or is just another garbage OTR company. Children need to breath fresh air and go to school (even a pre-school) and PLAY, NOT roam around the country sitting at shippers trying to be quiet while YOU try and "sleep"...Kids need STABILITY and a place to call home. I don't give a rat's ass who thinks I'm "close-minded"...You had the child, they MUST come FIRST. A sleeper (ANY sleeper-no matter how big) is NOT a home...Mandatory sterilization anyone ???? Flame me, I don't care. It's the kids who count, not your crappy JOB...
well said
Old 11-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ81
Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
well said
DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!!!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.