LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
In a word, no.

Contrary to what your bigoted comment would indicate there are many obese people who are probably in better shape than you are. Speaking from a cardio-vascular stand point.

Unlikely... But I think I can smell your diet cola over the net .
Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Board Regular

Well, just like four wheelers if you aren't handicapped and don't have a placard than you can't park there, unless you want a $300+ dollar deduction from your paycheck.

Unfortunatly, at that time in the morning there is shortage of parking spaces everywhere.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B
It seems to me that most of the people with handicap mirror tags are not handicapped, they have a relative that is and just take advantage of the close parking.
Both my mom, and dad have handicap license plates. I see young people that are in nowhere near being handicap, park in handicap spots at Wal-Mart. If my sister is with us, and she sees this happen, she gets all over them. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 10-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
,and i also thought a driver had to be relatively physically able bodied to pass a dot and drive ...
Incorrect. You must be able to preform the duties of a Truck Driver. I heard stories of Ampaties driving truck, people in Wheel Chairs. I am disabled and pending on the climate Rain or snow or even if I just over did my self I can not walk with ease. I have gone into a Petrol and my knees give out and fell in their lobby area. You will see me using a Cane from time to time, but in my last Physical, I was much better health than I was when I did my first ever DOT Physical.

Quote:
advantage of the close parking.
Not all Handicap parking are right next to the Door. I have been to several places where the Handicap Parking was at he end of the building and the handicap person had to walk the distance of the store to the front door.

Do I qualify for a Handicap Parking sticker/tag extra? No, reason beyond me, but in reality, I do not want one as long as I can walk. Do I use the handicap spaces? Yes, but the Truck I am using has a Handicap Tag. Is it legal for me to use it? No. But nothing is said cause people see me get out either limping badly or using my cane or even a walker.

Can I preform the Duties of a truck driver? Yes, yet some parts I can not such as Tarping loads, Lumping loads. So I do not do Flatbeds that much, though I have done it, and hire a lumper if it a driver unload. But I can do the pretrip of a truck, drive it safely down the road, and drop and hook trailers.

So Should I be denied the chance to drive cause I am disable?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
...So Should I be denied the chance to drive cause I am disable?
I'd say yes, and people can call me whatever names they want to. All hail the PC nonsense, but every rig out here could put an end to my life, so screw the 'feelings' of the drivers.

If your knees gave out walking through a Petro, I don't trust your legs to operate the brake pedal properly after a long day on the road.

If people can't walk from a regular spot without getting winded or having heart palpitations, I don't trust them not to pass out behind the wheel during a stressful day.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 10-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Rookie

Thats one way to get the closest spot.....
Old 10-27-2007, 03:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
So Should I be denied the chance to drive cause I am disable

in your case no you shouldn't be denied the ability to earn a living , As im sure you can operate the vehicle safely just at times i'm sure you're in a fair share of pain .
Old 10-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
...So Should I be denied the chance to drive cause I am disable?
I'd say yes, and people can call me whatever names they want to. All hail the PC nonsense, but every rig out here could put an end to my life, so screw the 'feelings' of the drivers.

If your knees gave out walking through a Petro, I don't trust your legs to operate the brake pedal properly after a long day on the road.

If people can't walk from a regular spot without getting winded or having heart palpitations, I don't trust them not to pass out behind the wheel during a stressful day.
Well I never had a problem hitting the brakes when I had to. So you have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
in your case no you shouldn't be denied the ability to earn a living , As im sure you can operate the vehicle safely just at times i'm sure you're in a fair share of pain .
That is correct, I do deal with alot of pain, but I hurt sitting at home just as much out driving. So why sit at home and feel sorry for my self.

I am responsible with my disabilities, I know my limits and if I am at a point I would have problems I have stopped till I can do what I have to do.