User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CFI

Is this a company that allows company drivers or is it one where you have to lease purchase your own truck? If you have or are working for it now, please fill in pros and cons thanks!
Old 10-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Rookie

CFI allows company drivers.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Board Member

There's no lease purchase program. You either own a truck and work as a contractor or get hired as a company driver.

Pros and cons... lots of each. It's probably better to ask more specific questions as you go through the process of checking out companies. What I consider a good thing, others might consider a bad thing, and vice versa.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 10-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Board Regular
Default pay, home time, good runs etc?

How is the pay? Do they get you home on time for holidays and other important dates you want to be home?
Do they give you good runs and not long sit or in between time?
Layover pay?
Teams do they run them well?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Senior Board Member

My wife and I run teams. I use to run solo. I would say they are about average. We range from 9,800 miles to as much as 13,000 miles in a two week pay period. It is just hit and miss. Sometimes we never stop and other times we feel like we never run. as for solo. It also depends. Most of the year I ran solo I sat a lot. Vito on the other hand was more fortunate and ran a lot more. I always had hours but was told I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was a luck of the draw thing.

As for O/O. No leasing at CFI. I am not sure they are hiring o/o right now that would be something you woulc have to check into.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: pay, home time, good runs etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
How is the pay?
It depends on experience, but at 1 year it's 36 cents a mile. I do fine myself. Of course, some of our drivers are starving and begging for change on the street with holes in their shoes. Or so they'd have you believe.

Quote:
Do they get you home on time for holidays and other important dates you want to be home?
Holidays are just another day as far as that goes, except for Christmas. They guarantee everyone home for Christmas. As usual regarding my friend 007 there, I have had better luck than he has. The deal is: You send in a form requesting home time and they start looking for freight to get you home. You either get home in five days, or they pay you to deadhead. I usually get home in a day or two, which sucks sometimes because I always allow at least five days before I need to be there.

Quote:
Do they give you good runs and not long sit or in between time?
Both. They give you whatever somebody needs to ship. Luck of the draw.

Quote:
Layover pay?
It's not good, but you'll hardly ever get it anyway, so it's not a huge issue in my little world.

Quote:
Teams do they run them well?
My team can't run to save it's life.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Board Regular

I run very well, my wife and I are not in debt which means that the pay of a truck driver can go far enough. I think many of the critics which complain about short trips and sitting, are the drivers that are head over heels in debt and are desperate for more money.

Please click on my Website link below to see some of the reasons I hired on. I hope the site can be helpfull.

Give me a call if you like, my number is on the site.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Don't get me wrong. We get enough to pay the bills as a team. But we could be ran a lot harder. I don't worry about the bills now that we are team. Our worst paycheck is better than any of my checks running solo. But it does depend on where you are in general in the country and who needs freight. And for me last year I was in the wrong area most of the year. As for team though. We have had some sweet pay periods and then some where we caught up on a couple of seasons of scrubs. Most of the teams that I talk to who are not running a website to get the recruiting bonus tell us it is like that for them as well. There is one team we know that runs hard all the time. I mean more than I think we could do legally but for some that works well. For us anything above 10,000 is gravy regarding budget. But below that and we get a little agitated.

So as for the above post about critics. A complaint does not mean someone is in debt. It just means that there might be problems. But then again I don't have a website trying to get extra money for the recruiting bonus. I don't paint a bed of roses for money. And neither does my fighting Irish friend. Yet he does very little to complaining about the same company. Two different people. Same company, different opinions, and no profit from it.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Rookie

I have never driven for CFI, but I did contact them recently to find out what changes, if any, have been made since they were bought out.
Currently, they have not made any changes, and one of the negative points is the fact they require drivers to load and unload freight (according to them, appx. 20% is driver load and unload).
While being paid to lump freight as an OPTION is fine, and up to each individual driver, but pulling for any company that requires a driver to be a lumper as well is a company I would avoid, whether it be CFI or anyone else.

David Perkins
Webmaster/Veteran Truck Driver
Old 10-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Drivers United
I have never driven for CFI, but I did contact them recently to find out what changes, if any, have been made since they were bought out.
Currently, they have not made any changes, and one of the negative points is the fact they require drivers to load and unload freight (according to them, appx. 20% is driver load and unload).
While being paid to lump freight as an OPTION is fine, and up to each individual driver, but pulling for any company that requires a driver to be a lumper as well is a company I would avoid, whether it be CFI or anyone else.

David Perkins
Webmaster/Veteran Truck Driver
www.TruckDriversUnited.com
They gave you some BS information. It's nowhere remotely close to 20%. I imagine they were trying to convey that it's around 80% drop/hook, with the other 20% being live unload (That's a pretty rosy scenario to me, I'd say more like 65/35, but anyway...). In a year and a half, I've had one driver unload. Six pallets, 500 pounds each, took ten minutes. I got $17.50/hr with a two hour minimum, so I would take that $35 for ten minutes every day of the week if I had the choice.