User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Recruiters

I am new to the boards but have been viewing them for quite some time. I have been driving truck locally for 7 years with the same company in Utah. I drive double belly dumps hauling coal out of a local coal mine in mountainous terrain, with a total weight with truck,trailer and load of 129000. I would like to eventually go over the road and maybe purchase my own truck someday. Most companies tell me that I do not have any OTR experience and would have to take the driving school again. I done this over seven years ago and do not want to pay the money again for no reason. Two companies have told me that I would be an advanced student and would only have to go with a trainer for two weeks minimun, after orientation, depending on how fast I pick up docking and logs. One was Gordon Trucking out of Washington State and US Xpress. Gordon also offered to give me credit of 3.5 Years over the road for my seven Locally. So my starting pay per mile would be higher (.37). Does this sound right or is it BS? An Auto shift would be nice for a change also(US Xpress). I would appreciate any advice on the matter. Thank You.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 PM

That sounds pretty fair.Would beat starting all over again.U.S Xpress is a mega carrier,but you have to start somewhere.I would say go for it.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Rookie

Yeah Gordon Trucking offered Credit for experience, but US Xpress only offered the 2weeks with a trainer but I would start out low on the pay scale as a new driver. My concern is the recruiters telling me they would only have me train for two weeks and after orientation tell me that I have to be out six weeks. The benifits with US XPress would be the auto. I already have been driving with an eaton fuller 8 speed so I do not think it would be a problem to go with a different Company if I needed to. Does anyone have any info on Gordon Trucking out of Washington?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 PM

I've never heard a bad thing about Gordon either here or anywhere else. I almost went with them out of school but chose another route that led me to my current local job. I'd look very closely at Gordon and I will be looking again at them soon as I'm considering OTR.

Kona911 drove for them for a while and has good things to say, hopefully he'll be along to answer better.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Default Recruiters

I wouldnt trust a recruiter if it was my very own mother. They are all BSers to some degree. Some are plain liars. Its an ingrained conflict of interest. They have a very real financial motivation to get you in the seat however they can. Some are pretty slick. Or perhaps I'm a sucker. Either way, get everything in writing. Believe nothing until you independently verify it with one of their drivers, or a driver who has been with them. I have been at this 13 years. Benefit from my mistakes. Think about what I'm saying.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:00 PM

That is one good thing about Maverick.Everything the recruiter has told me has been the truth.Maverick is real big on their recruiters being honest and fair.That is why I am going back to them.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like you have two plausible offers, like some of the others have said, get the guarantees and credits in writing before you head for orientation.

One suggestion I would make, and I am sure some will argue this, and this goes for any company or type of OTR operation. Freight has really slowed down in the last month, in every part of the country. Housing is down, the usual winter slow down, especially in refrigerated, and the uncertainty of HOS and the Mexican Cross Border Program are all big issues out here right now.

Unless you are offered a dedicated run, the irregular route frieght will be sparadic and could be a factor in whether or not you will be happy out here. Do your research and decide whether or not it is a risk you want to take now, or wait until just before spring when things usually pick back up.

Just my two cents worth!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Recruiters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
I wouldnt trust a recruiter if it was my very own mother. They are all BSers to some degree. Some are plain liars. Its an ingrained conflict of interest. They have a very real financial motivation to get you in the seat however they can. Some are pretty slick. Or perhaps I'm a sucker. Either way, get everything in writing. Believe nothing until you independently verify it with one of their drivers, or a driver who has been with them. I have been at this 13 years. Benefit from my mistakes. Think about what I'm saying.
I agree with Mr. Miller, except on the fact that you should verify with one of there drivers. I would say more like 5 of there drivers. Honestly any driver who hops out of a company truck will not want to tell you there company sucks. But some are also what they call " driver recruiters" and will lie to you and and tell you how there company is fantastic when in reality it is just as good or bad as any other company. To be honest I think there are few companies that are really exceptional. I don't work for one but I only have a years OTR experience. You have to have more than that to really get a good one I believe. As for recruiters. Pretty much all of them lie. Especially where I work. Just pick somewhere and stay at least a year; get your time in and move on if that is what you choose to do.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Board Regular

Are you saying Sheepdancer is a liar too? And you won't actually become a millionaire driving for JB? No way! I just can't believe that. :cry:
Old 09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Nowadays these companys got the drivers towing their line,
its hard to get unbiased info.

I talked to a couple of Company drivers while on the road for some big outfits and the first thing they did was shove some sort of card in my face with their name on it and number so they could collect a ransom.

I dont blame them,but it just smells kinda funny after it happens a couple of times.

Odd how money will make people flip.

Not saying anythng bad about any company in particular,I am just sharing an observation.

Trust No One that guys said on the XFiles :wink:

As for me...still looking for a ride out West :alien: