User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Well I'm glad you're willing to run. That's the first thing you need.

I've learned a few tricks with JB...

set your ETA as early as possible, before 10am is best.

when you get your load information, put the hammer down. Don't waste time in truck stops, just get there as soon as you possibly can. Most appointments are BS and they will take your load early. Ask your fleet manager if he/she can make your appointment earlier if you can be there earlier. But basically, if you have a window of 1400-2000 for delivery and you can be there by 1400, be there by 1400. The quicker you're empty, the quicker you're on to your next load.

Don't refuse any loads...I've gotten 3 shitty runs in a row followed by 1000+ mile runs. You'll get a good one eventually.

But honestly, if you're doing all that and still having problems making money, tell them you want a new fleet manager. JB has a lot to do with your fleet manager, and I think mine is pretty good.

Hope it works for you...
My etas are usually always before 8am. I never refused a load. Ever since I have been here I been gettin 200-300 mile runs. I have asked to go in early and 99% of the time they say no. Im always at a truck stop and not by choice either. 99% of the time Im 1 or more early for every appt. Hell today im 14 hours early.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member

As I was turning in my truck at Cretes Phoenix Terminal there was a new driver going through pre-qual. He was an older driver, but, he was not an older CDL driver. He had just finished his CDL training, on his own, and was getting hired by Crete.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Rookie
Default TMC - US xpress CRST

Good information to know.......
I see that there is going to be positive and negative feedback on any company. Thats good - just what I'm looking for so that I may then weigh my options and then make an "educated decision" based on gut instinct and the input of other drivers.
Like anything in life - driving success seems to be largely based on your work ethic and common sense. I'm just trying to not get screwed right off of the bat.....
I've put in applications with and received offers from..
CRST, TMC and US Xpress.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks for the input.

VTwin :shock:
Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
:roll:
Don't just roll your eyes. Tell me how you think making 26 cents a mile is good for a truck driver, let alone the industry. Then tell me how you think it's safe for a driver with 6 months experience to train a rookie driver. Please, I'm all ears.
If you are going to pick a company to go with, do so with the intent of STAYING thee and makeing money. Don't just pick a company to just up and leave them in a few months. That is what I was rolling my eyes at. I do agree that the pay there sucks! I also do agree that someone with 6 months experience should not be a trainer. I was with Werner for 5 years. I made ok money with them. I believe that alot of it boils down to attitude. Not all but alot of it. I never once had a problem with anyone in the terminals. But then again, I was never in a terminal. I was on the raod making money. I was not trying to start anything here. So, if you want to throw some attitude out go right ahead.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Don't just roll your eyes. Tell me how you think making 26 cents a mile is good for a truck driver, let alone the industry. Then tell me how you think it's safe for a driver with 6 months experience to train a rookie driver. Please, I'm all ears.
If you are going to pick a company to go with, do so with the intent of STAYING thee and makeing money. Don't just pick a company to just up and leave them in a few months. That is what I was rolling my eyes at. I do agree that the pay there sucks! I also do agree that someone with 6 months experience should not be a trainer. I was with Werner for 5 years. I made ok money with them. I believe that alot of it boils down to attitude. Not all but alot of it. I never once had a problem with anyone in the terminals. But then again, I was never in a terminal. I was on the raod making money. I was not trying to start anything here. So, if you want to throw some attitude out go right ahead.

I call .B.S. on that statement...No way did you work for ...WERNER...for 5 yrs and "NEVER" entered a terminal. Loads ar split /picked up here all the the time I find it hard to beleive you never split or picked up a ld from a terminal, and on many occasions students are picked up from the terminal . you need to take you required safety cbt's at terminals every year ...have to be at a terminal for this.... :wink:
Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 AM

For a veteran you should check out roehl's program
Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I call .B.S. on that statement...No way did you work for ...WERNER...for 5 yrs and "NEVER" entered a terminal. Loads ar split /picked up here all the the time I find it hard to beleive you never split or picked up a ld from a terminal, and on many occasions students are picked up from the terminal . you need to take you required safety cbt's at terminals every year ...have to be at a terminal for this.... :wink:
Ok, you took the word NEVER to literaly. Yes I was in there to pick up students and to do my safety things but thats it. I stayed out of the terminals. All the loads I split was in a drop yard, if I even split a load. My dispatcher and I had a great working relationship. He gave me good freight and I ran it. Now, if you want to bash on Werner, go right ahead. But do not come in here with a attitude just because someone has a different opinion then yourself.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: TMC - US xpress CRST

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTwin
Good information to know.......
I see that there is going to be positive and negative feedback on any company. Thats good - just what I'm looking for so that I may then weigh my options and then make an "educated decision" based on gut instinct and the input of other drivers.
Like anything in life - driving success seems to be largely based on your work ethic and common sense. I'm just trying to not get screwed right off of the bat.....
I've put in applications with and received offers from..
CRST, TMC and US Xpress.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks for the input.

VTwin :shock:
DO NOT got to CRST. They are one of the worst companies to work for. They are a team operation and routinely fire ex-felons. They hire drivers who have criminal records and bad driving records.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlight
For a veteran you should check out roehl's program
http://www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id=61412

http://www.drivertraining.net/honor/apprentice.htm

http://www.roehlhonorprogram.com/

I second the opinion on Roehl. I have never worked for them so check it carefully, but having been on the board and reading about the horror stories from Werner, Roehl seems to be a better choice for training! Plus Roehl, lets you draw up to 24 months, instead of 12. I don't know how much (GI Bill with Werner is 100% for 6mo, 75% for 3 mo, and 50% for 3 mo).

If you get board, do a search on the Novacane storyline. I think the jury is still on on whether it is fiction or not, but it was entertaining! :roll:

BOL
Ken
USA(Ret)

Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, you took the word NEVER to literaly. Yes I was in there to pick up students and to do my safety things but thats it. I stayed out of the terminals. All the loads I split was in a drop yard, if I even split a load. My dispatcher and I had a great working relationship. He gave me good freight and I ran it. Now, if you want to bash on Werner, go right ahead. But do not come in here with a attitude just because someone has a different opinion then yourself.

I call B.S. again ,because many runs you get as a trainer will deliver far far earlier than the set time ,so if your dispatcher gets with the load planners you will split very often running as a trainer/team to keep moving.

Now I did not "BASH? Werner ,But I do call B.S. on you as I don't think you're shooting straight there "TEX".

Hey toss up a few of the drop yards you rember while driving for Werner ,And tell me what they looked like ...