User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider driving school excepted?

I live near Columbus Ohio. I went through Schneider exactly one year ago to get my class A and to drive as a team for them. All went great and I was on the road with my co-driver right out of the gate with a new truck and all. WooHoo I know. The first two weeks went smooth as to be expected with two new drivers. But nothing major. He drove at night and I handled the day stuff. Ok so we are two weeks into and heading through Houston around midnight. I am just about to fall asleep and BOOM he wreaks.

Now I will spare you all the details but I decided right then that teaming was not for me. However Schneider had the contract and refused to let me switch to dedicated or solo. I was not concerned with home time or pay. I just wanted nothing to do with teaming. Now I liked the company all around until my STL told me that I could not change. So I quit. May not of been my best move since I had to pay them $3500 but I was not comfortable in the situation. Thank God I was able to get back into my local work.

Sorry for all that. Just thought it would help if I explained my situation.

Now I want to get back on the road. I was only driving team for two weeks. So basically I have no verifiable road time with exception of that time spent at school and the two weeks. With that said I have driven for local farmers part time for the last year hauling grain in a 30 foot bucket. However I cant seem to find a way without going through the big companys that either want me to pay me nothing to drive with a trainer for two months or send me back through school with another contract. Neither is what I want. But at last it may be my only option.

If any one has suggestions on companys or maybe some direction on how to avoid contracts and lengthy training. I know how to drive period. I know I am green and still have a lot of miles left before I even get a idea how to drive truck but going back through school is a waist and a cost I dont want or can afford.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I think you're going to have to suck it up and go out with a trainer. With only two weeks of driving do you honestly thing anyone will put you in a truck? Add that to the fact you have not been OTR in a year. I'm sure it's not the answer you want, but you know that's what you need to do.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:03 AM

Thanks man. Im not asking for my hand to be held or sugar coating. Thanks for the advise.

With that said. When I contacted CR England they want me to go through several phases of training. As long as its not schooling I am ok with it. The problem with them though is the really low pay. I am ok with being with a trainer but I need to make at least $450 to $500 a week to pay the bills. Not some crazy 0.17 a mile stuff.

I just started the process with Crete. The recruiter sounds positive but what recruiter doesn't. I really hope they have a program right for me. But I am looking around at all the company's.

Thanks for your input. Take it easy.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

CR England has a bad reputation. Crete on the other hand would be awesome if you can get on. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:53 AM

Yea when my sister heard that I was looking at CR England she about flipped. She rides with her husband who drives for Crete. So they quickly talked me into Crete.

It is really hard to pick company's. It seems like almost EVERY company has something negative about it. I have just been trying to list what I need, then what I want and then see what company's fit that.

I will post what happens and where I end up.

Can anyone tell me how company's look at people with Schneider schooling? I have heard several people suggest it is one of the best schools around. I have no way to compare it since it is the only one I have attended. I will say that I learned a lot and really enjoyed they way the material and hands on training was presented to me. My driving instructer was amazing with his insight and knowledge. With that said, over half of my class slowly washed out through the two weeks. But we never knew why and everything was positive.

Take it easy.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Schneider's training is pretty well regarded. It's also a PTDI certified which is a bomus.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:52 AM
Board Regular

Best way to pick a company is simple. Take a dartboard and cut paper into shapes that will fit into the paces on said board. Write each companies name that interests you. Then turn your back to the board and throw the dart, whatever company name the dart hits.....thats your new boss :mrgreen:

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 07-30-2007, 04:04 AM

Well hell that makes it much easier! Thanks for the advise.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom433a
Best way to pick a company is simple. Take a dartboard and cut paper into shapes that will fit into the paces on said board. Write each companies name that interests you. Then turn your back to the board and throw the dart, whatever company name the dart hits.....thats your new boss :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: Knowing myself, I'd hit the wall....

The Schneider is good for the training, but they will want to know why you quit after 2 weeks. Be sure to tell them about the accident, and that you feel unsafe with a team. Also, it is over 90 days, but it's not like you sat and did nothing for a year.

Also, Use all of your experience, including the grain hauling for the farmer. You will need records of some sort to prove you did, and maybe the farmer might vouch for you. At lease, try to use pay-stubs (if you got them). A letter of recommendation might help.

Stay away from CR England, or you will return here to post how lousy of a job that is, and get a big "I told you so" from everybody.

I started out with the same thing you did. Went to SNI for training, and walked of them after 1 week. Trainer I got was a real scumbag. Just that one, though...I didn't give them a second chance. I worked local for about 24 months, and OTR with JB for 3 months. I'm back to local, and doing OK.

Good luck with your choice.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Not sure how they refused you a solo or dedicated being you were a team, as far as I know, there isnt any difference between team and solo training with SNI.

Now the only reason they might have said no is because you have no experience, and like solos switching to teams or vice versa, you need at least 6 mos on the road before asking for dedicated or changing to either solo or team.