User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
This is a open fourm and a free country. Anyone CAN answer the question. Even if YOU don't like the answer
While that's all noble and very true, it's also true that it doesn't make the facts correct and it doesn't make the response any more helpful.

But if you prefer being part of the problem rather than the solution, I have no way of stopping you.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzebra
Quote:
This is a open fourm and a free country. Anyone CAN answer the question. Even if YOU don't like the answer
While that's all noble and very true, it's also true that it doesn't make the facts correct and it doesn't make the response any more helpful.

But if you prefer being part of the problem rather than the solution, I have no way of stopping you.
Can you show PROOF that your facts are correct? Or are your statements just your opinion?

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 07-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
whoops. previous post should say that "so few of them have actually tried it" instead of "not actually tried it". That's what I get for skipping the proofreading. :shock:
That is because there are many of us who know how to do basic math, and the numbers do not add up.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Rookie

Dr. Z, been following your posts and blog on PD for awhile now, as well as Wal's and must say they are very informative, keep up the good work. I'll be in Springfield for orientation the third week of August to "throw myself on the sword" as skywalker would say. Looking forward to it and hopefully we'll run into each other and put faces with names.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Can you show PROOF that your facts are correct? Or are your statements just your opinion?
My statements and opinions come from: Prime's website, contact with numerous Prime drivers, and the fact that I'm actually leasing with Prime right now.

Anyway, are you actually going to directly refute anything that I've been saying, or are you going to keep using this "liar, liar, pants on fire" type of argument?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
That is because there are many of us who know how to do basic math, and the numbers do not add up.
Ok. Let's do the math. Using this week's figures.

I have two runs this week. The first paid out at $2882.17, broken down as follows:

$1884.89 as my cut of the linehaul revenue (72%)
$987.28 for the fuel surcharge (100% of what is billed to the customer)
$10.00 for the extra stop (it was a two-stop load)

The second pays out at $1411.12:

$1054.56 as my cut of the linehaul revenue
$256.56 fuel surcharge
$100.00 for the lumpers at the delivery end

Grand total of $4293.29 gross revenue.

Now come the deductions:

$1834.51 in fuel leaves me with: $2458.78

My fixed costs for the truck are:

$904.13 (this includes lease payment, insurance, qualcomm, accounting and statements (optional services!), licensing and permits, fuel card)

This leaves me with $1554.65.

Variable non-fuel costs come out to $0.122 per mile and include fuel/road taxes, agents' fees, miscellaneous (tolls, money transfer fees, etc), mileage fee, and tire fund.

I was dispatched 3064 miles this week, meaning that my variable costs come out to: $373.81 (actually, that's a really high estimate based on my previous statements)

Grand total of $1180.84 gross pay for the week. Comes out to about $0.39 per mile this week. Yeah, not great this time, but the long load paid crappy and it sucked having to buy fuel in California. Normally my gross pay comes out to around $0.43 per mile.

Yes, I know what you're going to say. I can make more as a company driver elsewhere. But I don't want to do that because I don't want to play company driver games, and I doubt that there are many outfits that would pay the large salaries to drivers with under a year of experience.

Besides, I'm just now starting to get a handle on cost control, and my profit is getting more consistent (and better) as a result. Like anything else, this is a learning curve and I'm still trying to get out of the company driver mentality at times.

But my point is that I'm not going into the poorhouse. I'm not losing my azz or anything even close to that. I don't spend all the money I make. I don't bling my truck out and I don't have all the fancy, shiny toys at home. I'm saving up for a fat down payment on a house, and I'll have that to show for my toils. That's really all I want and need.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:26 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
My statements and opinions come from: Prime's website(TYPICAL RECURTING WEBSITE), contact with numerous Prime drivers(THEY ARE YOUR CO-WORKERS, NOT RELIABLE SOURCES), and the fact that I'm actually leasing with Prime right now.(OR DO YOU :wink: )

Anyway, are you actually going to directly refute anything that I've been saying, or are you going to keep using this "liar, liar, pants on fire" type of argument?(SHOW ME WHERE I CALLED YOU A LIAR)

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 07-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
Quote:
My statements and opinions come from: Prime's website(TYPICAL RECURTING WEBSITE), contact with numerous Prime drivers(THEY ARE YOUR CO-WORKERS, NOT RELIABLE SOURCES), and the fact that I'm actually leasing with Prime right now.(OR DO YOU :wink: )

Anyway, are you actually going to directly refute anything that I've been saying, or are you going to keep using this "liar, liar, pants on fire" type of argument?(SHOW ME WHERE I CALLED YOU A LIAR)
So where are you supposed to go for "reliable" information? You've eliminated the website, current drivers and the poster himself. Oh, I get it. We should all get our info from rumors and my best friends cousin's girlfriend's brother. :roll:

Old 07-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
Quote:

So where are you supposed to go for "reliable" information? You've eliminated the website, current drivers and the poster himself. Oh, I get it. We should all get our info from rumors and my best friends cousin's girlfriend's brother. :roll:
Try like everyone else said. GO TO A TRUCK STOP AND SURVEY DRIVERS FROM THAT COMPANY. Internet truck fourms are only as reliable as the person posting the info. Could be a mental nut job on the other end :wink:
anyone get the point that I am trying to make yet?

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 07-22-2007, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

JohnnyT.... I used to drive for CFI. I live just a little south of you.... Punta Gorda. You are in CFI's hiring area. Save yourself some grief. Call 1-800-641-4748 and talk to Christine Lathan in Recruiting. Tell her "Skywalker" sent you. She knows me. If you need schooling, they have some arrangements, you have to pay a small porton, they pay the rest, but there is NO contract to stay. You can also go over to http://www.cfidrivers.com and log on and converse with drivers from CFI. Its a site owned by a driver not the company.

CFI is strictly "dry van", no reefers, 48 state irregular route carrier that pays practical miles, not HHG.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.