User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 03:29 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Maybe I missed something here....They were asking about Prime.....there is more to Prime than leasing.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:07 AM
Board Regular

Well lets see, I drove 2800 to 3200 a week. I chose to recieve 80 cents a mile and let the rate go into my escrow. Every quarter I would draw out of my escrow when I reconciled and buy CD's. Some of those loads paid 3.00 a mile some paid .60 but my average was probably around 1.50. Maybe someone that leases now can explain to you what their rate is....I imagine the fuel network for fuel is around 1.25 a gallon for Prime but I could be wrong.

The cost of fuel is the biggest single factor that can make or break you. I decided to let Mr low buy the fuel instead of me and with my beneifits as a company driver I didnt have the headaches or cost and I still made good money.

Now I dont have anything to prove to anyone on this board so if you want to see my paperwork, contact the IRS and see if they will give it to you. I could care less who you work for or if you make money or starve to death. Everything in life is what we make it. A Colonel I used to work for said there are 2 kinds of people in this world....cheesedicks and steeldicks. Which one are you?

Contrary to what some might say here. I am sure Prime makes better money off of their company trucks then lease drivers....they keep moving earning thier keep while a lot of lease trucks sit around while Prime pays the note or at least the interest each month.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by century451
Well lets see, I drove 2800 to 3200 a week. I chose to recieve 80 cents a mile and let the rate go into my escrow. Every quarter I would draw out of my escrow when I reconciled and buy CD's. Some of those loads paid 3.00 a mile some paid .60 but my average was probably around 1.50. Maybe someone that leases now can explain to you what their rate is....I imagine the fuel network for fuel is around 1.25 a gallon for Prime but I could be wrong.

The cost of fuel is the biggest single factor that can make or break you. I decided to let Mr low buy the fuel instead of me and with my beneifits as a company driver I didnt have the headaches or cost and I still made good money.

Now I dont have anything to prove to anyone on this board so if you want to see my paperwork, contact the IRS and see if they will give it to you. I could care less who you work for or if you make money or starve to death. Everything in life is what we make it. A Colonel I used to work for said there are 2 kinds of people in this world....cheesedicks and steeldicks. Which one are you?

Contrary to what some might say here. I am sure Prime makes better money off of their company trucks then lease drivers....they keep moving earning thier keep while a lot of lease trucks sit around while Prime pays the note or at least the interest each month.

At a copany like werner you get paid a fixed sliding scale awhen you buy your truck the rate is dependant on miles driver for the trip any trip over about 500 miles pays about .84 CPM ,and the super short runs pay about $.1.30-1.50 ...you tend to only average about a $1.00 a mile ...it appears prime pay percentage ,So you get paid more or less depending on what prime negotiates to haul the load for ...So if they get you averaging $1.50 a mile then you can make good money running 3k miles a week average ...Correct me if i'm wrong ,but I read that you only pay about 1.25 or so per gallon of fuel if that's the case then I would think as long as you run you should make decent money The rreason I ask about the fuel is I rember Werner O/O just getting a surcharge reducing the price per gallon only by about .30 sents .

I did talk to prime lease operator back in sptember of 2006 after [parkingt next to him at the Minooka IL pilot ...He said he was making decent money at 3k miles a week I wasn't thinking about leasing then so I didn't pick his brain ...

One more question what did health insurance cost you on your own was it reasonable ...I know many Werner drivers who don't even carry it ,so i'm assuming it's costly ...

does prime offer the ability to walk away from lease freely with a given notice that you no longer want to lease ?
Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 AM
Board Regular

I have no Idea what the cost of fuel is for Prime....they have contracts and I am guessing its about $1.25 or maybe $1.50......what ever it is...I bet you would be shocked at what the big companies pay...... The bottom line on fuel is figured with the fuel surcharge I am sure. You missed the part where I said I retired. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

I am retired military so I didnt get insurance when I leased...when I was a company driver I got dental and minimal health which was pretty cheap. It paid what my military didnt. And I am sure they still have the walk away lease. Beware though that you will get charged a truck cleaning fee and you will pay for any repairs that need to be done not covered by warranty.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I have no Idea what the cost of fuel is for Prime....they have contracts and I am guessing its about $1.25 or maybe $1.50......what ever it is...I bet you would be shocked at what the big companies pay...... The bottom line on fuel is figured with the fuel surcharge I am sure. You missed the part where I said I retired. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

I am retired military so I didnt get insurance when I leased...when I was a company driver I got dental and minimal health which was pretty cheap. It paid what my military didnt. And I am sure they still have the walk away lease. Beware though that you will get charged a truck cleaning fee and you will pay for any repairs that need to be done not covered by warranty.

No I wouldn't be surprised at all what big companies poay for their fuel ,As they buy it pre pay in millions of gallons in advance and get discounts ...kind of like how a company with a dealers license can buy a brand new 387 for about 53k when they are buying a couple thousad trucks ...But i was surprised to see that prime offers the discount to the driver ,so the driver is only paying about a 1.25-1.50 , As I remeber inquiring into the fuel plan at Werner and if the pump price was $3.00 per gallon you would get a surcharge dropping it to about $2.70 .woo hoo what savings .
Old 01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Maybe I missed something here....They were asking about Prime.....there is more to Prime than leasing.
NOT ACCORDING TO PRIMES" BUSINESS PLAN......
Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Board Regular

Dollar you must be one of those lease drivers that rubbed someone the wrong way. I have done both and enjoyed my experiance with both. I will say I saw alot of lease drivers go broke but if you listen to most of them long enough they should be pulling that thumb back at them selves instead of pointing fingers at Prime....or at least share the blame. Prime isnt for everyone but the ones that find a home there definately seem very satisfied.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
One more question what did health insurance cost you on your own was it reasonable ...I know many Werner drivers who don't even carry it ,so i'm assuming it's costly ...
Does OOIDA or someone like that offer group health insurance buy in?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Dollar you must be one of those lease drivers that rubbed someone the wrong way. I have done both and enjoyed my experiance with both. I will say I saw alot of lease drivers go broke but if you listen to most of them long enough they should be pulling that thumb back at them selves instead of pointing fingers at Prime....or at least share the blame. Prime isnt for everyone but the ones that find a home there definately seem very satisfied.
Try this phrase on for size:

When you point the finger at someone else, three others point back at you.

No thoughts on if this applies to Prime, but it's a nice rhetorical thing.