User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default UPS Freight - Looking for Info??

I am looking for info on UPS freight. I know that Snowman7 is a UPS Frght road driver and I would have sent a PM to him but I’m to new to do so I will ask here. It will be good info for every!

I am looking into UPS freight as a road driver. Just looking for any details that you could give me about the job, how the bidding works, pay, what’s its like as a newbie and all that.. I am from a decent sized market, Kansas City.. I do have a friend that works as a dock worker and knows and HR guy really well, will that help me at all? I did talk to the HR guy today and he said that they have 2 open Road driver positions and will be filling them with outside people, because no one in house was bidding for them.

Any info from anyone would be great!

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Hey Dave,

I'm on my way to work but I'll post something tomorrow. I will say I love my job! Any specific questions?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: UPS Freight - Looking for Info??

After re-reading your post I see you already asked some questions. Sorry bout that, I was in a hurry to leave for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Driver Dave
how the bidding works
Each barn has scheduled runs to the same places every night that they have probably run for years. For example at Kansas City run "KAN001" might go to St Louis and back every night M-F. It will have a scheduled departure time, scheduled arrival time, scheduled return time. Roughly 90% of road drivers will have a scheduled run. The other 10% are extra board drivers. There is always extra freight. There might be 3 scheduled runs to St Louis every nite but if there is too much St Louis freight then they send another truck from the extra board. We bid every 6 months and the top guy picks first and down the line. When its your turn to pick you choose from whats left or you can pick extra board. Extra board is run by seniority too so every nite top extra board guy gets choice of the extra runs. I would assume this is where you'll end up at the beginning, bottom of the extra board. You'll work most every nite but you wont know where you are going. You might not work a nite here and there but dont worry we're busy. I cant remember my last nite off, maybe February?

Quote:
pay.
You start out at .459/mile and 18.05/hr. You get the mileage while driving, the hourly is if you are working the dock or city P&D. You'll get a raise every 6 months for 3 years plus we get annual cost of living raise. Right now top pay is .5415/mile and 21.50/hour. You should make 50k plus your first year, maybe more if your lucky. With 3 years seniority and at top pay you could be 60-80 depending on what you bid on. I know KC has some sleeper team runs and some solo layovers. You can get alot of miles if you dont mind being gone.

Quote:
what’s its like as a newbie and all that.
Good days and bad. On the extra board you might get a nice 500 mile turn that takes 8-10 hours to do with minimal aggravation. Or you might run 3-4 shorter legs totalling 400-600 miles with drops and hooks and waiting for dispatch that takes 12-14 hrs to do. Some of the bid runs go to a hub where you drive a couple hundred miles then work the dock 2-4 hours and return home. You might cover one of these runs for vacations, illness, etc. Guys bid these runs because its a set schedule and predictable even though they might not care for the dock. Extra board is unpredictable but you get home most nites. We run 100% legal and if you run out of hours you would take your 10 hour break in a motel. For the most part its Mon nite thru Fri nite with weekends and holidays off. Typically start 8-11 PM and get done when you get done. Check with your TM for more on your terminal. There is usually weekend work available if you're interested, I'm not.

Right now we have a company paid pension and 50% match on 401k upto your first 7%. Family med is about $20 week for 85% and $70 week for 100%, insurance is pretty good. 8 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday and 3 sick days. Company provides uniforms. The newer Volvos are nice but you'll probably end up with an older Intertrashinal, not so nice! But cruise, AC and AM/FM are standard. We have assigned trucks that are shared with city drivers. Some barns assign the truck to the run, not the driver, check with your TM. I say right now because it all could change. The teamsters are negotiating a contract for Indianapolis and when its done each barn can vote for it. I think we'll all end up as teamsters which might mean a little extra, we'll see.

Overall, I like it. I'd prefer to be independently wealthy but that's not happening! Its an easy job for the most part. The only hard part is staying awake all nite and trying to sleep in the daytime. Thats why you always see guys who pull wiggle wagons on the side of the road napping on their steering wheel! That and weather, but that's a whole different story! Just hope your not empty!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Rookie

Is it possible to apply with UPS Freight Online. If so could someone throw a link up.

I would like information on applying with this company.

I'm in the Houston Area.

Thanks

DDT
Old 07-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

You have to search for an opening then apply. You need doubles and hazmat endorsements first or they wont even look at you. City drivers work days. You can also search under dock workers for dock w/cdl, this is a combo position, probably days. you can transfer to different departments once you're hired.

https://ups.iiserve.com/upsx/searchjobs.asp?OVN=Y
Old 07-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Board Regular

Any questions about UPS (package/feeder/sleeper etc.) ask away. Unlike our "buds" in UPS Freight we still run a little different. We hope to change that just as soon as we get UPS Freight a decent contract. And we will. Retired or not, I'll still be there...I really want to see UPS Freight get a GOOD contract...
Old 07-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the info!! I'm still in the inquiry phase of these deal, but I have talked to the HR guy who knows a guy I know. So I hope that will get me a foot in the door!

Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
You have to search for an opening then apply. You need doubles and hazmat endorsements first or they wont even look at you. City drivers work days. You can also search under dock workers for dock w/cdl, this is a combo position, probably days. you can transfer to different departments once you're hired.

Thanks for the info

DDT
Old 07-08-2007, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member

all the major LTL cos. are represented at: www.truckingboards.com
sorry to link to a competitor..to cad's credit I like that they dont plaster ads everywhere like TB.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:35 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7

Nice and detailed response, Snowman. I too have a few questions for you....firstly, what exactly does dockwork entail ? How physically taxing is it ? How much handbombing is involved ? I ask, 'cos I have a back which flares up every now and then, and also a knee injury when I fell off the back of my truck last year.

Secondly, seeing that you're from Ohio ( I presume that's the Buckeye state ), how much do you get to run in western PA ( Pittsburgh and general area ) ? Do you guys have any terminals here ? How busy is this freight lane for you guys ? Thanks in advance.