Old 09-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: UPS Freight Truckload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker pilot
Were you trying to get a job with UPS or UPS Freight Truckload (the old "Overnite Transportation")? UPS Freight Truckload, for whatever reason, is still going through some adjustments, I guess untill UPS (the 'Brown Guys') figure out exactly where we fit into the scheme of things. UPS Freight Truckload (we still pull 53's that say "Overnite SSD") is not all that bad a deal. There have been some morale issues due to some problems in the planning department, but that situation seems to be getting better as the months go by. They also have some good long time customers, and have dedicated runs with Ferguson plumbing warehouses around the country that offer pretty decent miles and usually the opportunity to be home every weekend. Just a little advice, for anyone considering UPS in general. I would first try to get on with "Brown" before the Truckload division, as you'll probably do a little better (?)
Niether, he was looking at UPS Freight LTL.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Board Regular

We were told that UPSF had 10% growth last quarter. If you can get your shoe in the door, I would go for it. With growth like that it shouldn't take long to move up.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Board Regular

We were told that UPSF had 10% growth last quarter. If you can get your shoe in the door, I would go for it. With growth like that it shouldn't take long to move up.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Quote:
Were you trying to get a job with UPS or UPS Freight Truckload (the old "Overnite Transportation")? UPS Freight Truckload, for whatever reason, is still going through some adjustments, I guess untill UPS (the 'Brown Guys') figure out exactly where we fit into the scheme of things. UPS Freight Truckload (we still pull 53's that say "Overnite SSD") is not all that bad a deal. There have been some morale issues due to some problems in the planning department, but that situation seems to be getting better as the months go by. They also have some good long time customers, and have dedicated runs with Ferguson plumbing warehouses around the country that offer pretty decent miles and usually the opportunity to be home every weekend. Just a little advice, for anyone considering UPS in general. I would first try to get on with "Brown" before the Truckload division, as you'll probably do a little better (?)
Niether, he was looking at UPS Freight LTL.
10-4 driver I gotcha. Yeah, it is still really confusing for me at UPS Freight Truckload (Overnite Special Services) to figure out who's who and what's what. I, of course, normally pull our customer loads like Ferguson; Delta, Kohler and Moen faucet; Milliken mills, Carhartt clothing, etc. and a LOT of broker loads. However, I've also pulled a few UPS Freight LTL loads and even pulled Worldwide Services loads in a 53' swing door with Overnite on the side!! What gives?

I recently pulled into the Charlotte, NC UPS (brown) terminal by mistake (Overnite and UPS are on the same street off of 85 a few blocks apart), and got some really funny looks. But I can also pull into some Overnite yards (where they do their LTL, run the day cabs etc. still painted in Overnite livery) and get funny looks from some of those drivers as well.
Oh well......whatever.

Any truth to the rumors that UPS corporate has plans on rolling everybody under one big banner with parcel, LTL, and truckload divisions?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:

10-4 driver I gotcha. Yeah, it is still really confusing for me at UPS Freight Truckload (Overnite Special Services) to figure out who's who and what's what. I, of course, normally pull our customer loads like Ferguson; Delta, Kohler and Moen faucet; Milliken mills, Carhartt clothing, etc. and a LOT of broker loads. However, I've also pulled a few UPS Freight LTL loads and even pulled Worldwide Services loads in a 53' swing door with Overnite on the side!! What gives?
Probably something extra that couldnt be covered and you were in the area.

Quote:
I recently pulled into the Charlotte, NC UPS (brown) terminal by mistake (Overnite and UPS are on the same street off of 85 a few blocks apart), and got some really funny looks. But I can also pull into some Overnite yards (where they do their LTL, run the day cabs etc. still painted in Overnite livery) and get funny looks from some of those drivers as well.
Oh well......whatever.
They are wondering "who are you?" and "why are you here?" I would imagine its the same over at Parcel. We usually only see our own trucks in the yard and if it's not one of ours then are they here to pull freight that should be done by our manpower? You know how everyone is always worried about what everyone else is doing. Although sometimes its a legitimate bitch when it gets out of hand.

Quote:
Any truth to the rumors that UPS corporate has plans on rolling everybody under one big banner with parcel, LTL, and truckload divisions?
That's the rumor. Everything will be brown. I haven't heard it said officially but they have stopped repainting our Overnite tractors so something is up.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Board Regular

I just got a job with these guys. I start Sept 10th. From what I have read and heard from the drivers at my interview, it seems like a descent gig. I got hired for local P and D, which I am excited about. Gotta be better than fingerprinting 1000 cases of Sysco food a day.

FT to start, this division up here had no layoffs in 15 years with the old Overnite. The terminal manager is looking for a few more people also I guess due to growth and trying not make people work like a slave.

It should be interesting with the teamster or APWA stuff that is going on. I am a teamster here already, so I am curious to see how its going to play out with them here.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Board Member

So what is UPSSCS of UPS Supply Chain Solutions? Is that still ups or and company affliate? Any one know? I am confused with all the companys are they UPS or UPS Frieght. I went on line with UPS frieght but the SCS run in more dedicated is seems so if I need to do I apply with them? Any tips? Frieght says the orientate in CA. is that the same for all these different companys? Thanks