User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertruckerr
Keep one thing in mind when going with USXpress.

They have auto transmissions. You will be trained in one and I believe your CDL will specify AUTOMATIC Transmission only.

This will severely limit your options in the future should you decide to move on. And from what I've read on the boards, many USXpress drivers do just that.
Don't forget, That all depends on were you live, and the laws of that state.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertruckerr
Keep one thing in mind when going with USXpress.

They have auto transmissions. You will be trained in one and I believe your CDL will specify AUTOMATIC Transmission only.

This will severely limit your options in the future should you decide to move on. And from what I've read on the boards, many USXpress drivers do just that.
usxpress doesn't do any cdl training or testing...! you need to go to school and get your cdl first then usx will take you for finish training. the only way your cdl will say AUTO ONLY is if you take you cdl test in an auto and then as MADLUX said
Quote:
That all depends on were you live, and the laws of that state
now as to drivers leaving usx drivers leave companies all the time and not just usx but all companies and yes if you can only drive an auto it will make it a LITTLE harder but more companies are adding them all the time. maybe that is why volvo came out with the I-SHIFT and it is not being sold to companies but to O/O's.. :shock:
Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Rookie
Default Are they trustworthy? NO!

Are they trustworthy? NO!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Rookie

and why do you say that?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Are they trustworthy? NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thull54
Are they trustworthy? NO!
The auto-shifts or USXpress?

As for the auto-shifts, I absolutely love them. I drove about 15 months or so for USXpress - the only transmission problem I ever had was that the clutch went out at 650,000 miles on the truck. They replaced the clutch and the truck was perfect again.

The company I drive for now has former USX trucks. I'm in a 2002 Volvo with 720,000 miles on it, and it, too, works great. I have one of 3 of their former Volvo's. My truck is the heaviest truck in our fleet of about 75 trucks. Mine has the largest engine (465hp) and also gets the best fuel mileage in the entire fleet at 6.9mpg average. We haul an average load of 42-44,000lbs and most of the loads go through the Appalachian Mountains - we're based in Fairmont, WV, which is on I-79, about 60 miles south of Washington, PA.

If the auto-shifts were as troublesome as some people make them out to be, would a company with almost 10,000 trucks have them in EVERY one of their trucks? Would how many other companies be switching their fleet to them?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I have a buddy who went through their school in Medway, Ohio some years back and had the unfortunate experience of pulling for em'. His experiences were the following:

low .cpm
some sort of ridiculous sliding-scale BS
worthless benefits with large co-pay and deductible
sitting around unpaid alot
pay on HHG so expect to get soaked 10% off the hub
trucks look nice but they're stripped-down, governed fleet trucks
mostly a team-oriented operation - solos fight for the scraps
hometime a roll of the dice

You could basically cut-copy-paste the above gripes into just about any of the McMega-carrier threads and you'd come out right on the money. The real question to ask when researching such outfits is "How hard will they screw me?"
Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
I have a buddy why no first hand info you do know "hear say" is not admissable in court who went through their school in Medway, Ohio some years back had to be SOME years ago thay havn't had a school for a few years so what happened years ago isn't relevent TODAY and had the unfortunate experience of pulling for em'. His experiences were the following:

low .cpm he was just out of school and we all know that when you just get out of school you make the minimum
some sort of ridiculous sliding-scale BS maybe you should understand how it works first
worthless benefits with large co-pay and deductible i don't see HOW the benefits are worthless, i have had highter co-pay and deductible's with non-trucking companies.
sitting around unpaid alot most of the drivers i see sitting around crying about not running are the one's that will not make a 250ml run to get them into a town with good loads also as a new driver you need to prove you can do it and if you start messing up you will end up sitting more until thay can trust you to do it right
pay on HHG so expect to get soaked 10% off the hub i hear this alot and it's pure and total BS.. our avg over the years is 2.035% and the load we are on right now is 2.02%.... co paid 1542ml real milage from were we are sitting is 1577 or 35 unpaid mile's
trucks look nice but they're stripped-down, governed fleet trucks goverened yes just lake almost all company trucks are and just how are thay stripped down....?
mostly a team-oriented operation - solos fight for the scraps team-orienter yes but when i was solo i was running 3000-3200 every week so i wasn't fighting for any scraps... maybe your BUDDY had a bad attitude and wouldn't run what thay wanted him too
hometime a roll of the dice i've NEVER EVER been home late and most of the time 1 maybe 2 days early.

You could basically cut-copy-paste the above gripes into just about any of the McMega-carrier threads and you'd come out right on the money. The real question to ask when researching such outfits is "How hard will they screw me?"you know i see ALOT LESS gripes about usx on this and other sited than i do about the rest of the mega-carrier's and that alone should say somthing
as i see it it all comes down to this size doesn't matter some companies are good and some are bad. look at it this way you have two driver driver #! picks up his load ONTIME and delivers ONTIME and doesn't bit@$ every time he gets a load he doesn't like and driver #2 picks up his load 10min late delivers 1hr late so he could have a sitdown dinner and calls and bit@$ every time he gets a load he doesn't like. now who is going to get the better loads and who is it that thay will not care if he quits...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Board Regular

I think US Express is a good company.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member

In this situation, where the OP is going to run as a team, US might not be a bad choice. I rarely hear good things about them from a solo point of view but the teams I've talked to seem to be happy.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Default Re: Anyone know anything about US Xpress?

Hasn't USXpress adopted the pay scheme swift pioneered? The further you drive the less you get paid. I think that scheme stinks and hope it doesn't become the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking631
We have agreed to attend the orientation and have looked at the website, but any other search brings us back to the same sites again and again. Does anyone here have any definite knowledge of the company? Are they trustworthy? Does anything they're site says have any truth to it?