User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 02:41 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Vito, How does that work? Do you go to school on your dime and then get reimbursed when CFI hires you? or do they approve the school and give a pre hire before you start...or something along those lines?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserpunk765
Vito, How does that work? Do you go to school on your dime and then get reimbursed when CFI hires you? or do they approve the school and give a pre hire before you start...or something along those lines?
Some of the people at the other site mentioned above would probably have better answers regarding the Central Tech and Crowder classes, but here's my general understanding:

The courses, if you were to walk in off the street, would cost something along the lines of $5,000 including room and board. If you are pre-approved, pre-hired, or whatever the terminology is, you get the course for the $1,000 along with a guaranteed job upon completion. It has been my understanding that the $1,000 is the only money shelled out by the student for the course. Room and board may be on top of that though. I'm sure some other members can clarify this point.

Where it appears to be different from the way other companies operate is that if you don't like working for CFI you can walk away. You don't owe any money to them. No money is withheld from your paychecks while you work for them and there are no negative repercussions (other than maybe looking like a job-hopper) if you choose to leave. The other companies will "give" you the training, but you gradually repay it over your first 6 to 24 months, depending on the company. If you choose to quit while you're in their 'indentured' status, you owe them.

This sort of thing was why I chose to just foot the bill myself when I was starting. I had no desire to be tied to any company, mainly because the reading you do on sites like this one will convince you not to trust anyone. About a month or two after I started at CFI I started hearing people talk about their new subsidized CDL program. If only I had known... But hey, the other three grand won't make or break me. The people who have come through the program have almost unanimously said that it was a great experience. Some find that life at CFI, or often just life on the road in general, doesn't suit them, but they still have a CDL license with which they can do whatever kind of driving they choose.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 06-24-2007, 03:13 AM

I know the feeling. Almost the NEXT week i graduated from central tech and went to joplin, did central tech announce their deal with CFI and get their pretty new red racers at the campus. oh well. can't always wait for the better deal.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:16 PM

no i am not bitter just a little upset that i bought the company spin ....

now where did i say cfi is not a great place to get your education and training but from the point you have three months of experience until you have your year there are much better places to be ......

i also feal it is disengenous that cfi is the first company i have worked for in ten years to not offer "real" medical and dental insurance for a full year and still claim they are not a bottom feader.....

no cfi is no better or no worse than any other bottom feader company they just have a better deal to get your schooling but the tradeoff for lackluster insurance is a decision one must make personally...

also not too fair to say you know jb drivers struggling i know just as many cfi drivers struggling .....but your stuggling jb drivers are they otr or dcs...
half of jb is now on dedicated accounts and in that smaller environment you get what you put into it....because i bust myself out i am usually done early and get better runs every week ....so i almost allways get about 60 hours off every week even with good miles but we do have drivers who choose to make a california run from kansas take 12 days round trip ....surprise surprise i am sure they are struggling too....

just my two cents

as far as room and board at central tech it is extra at chowder i believe food is included and the room is about 400 dollars....
Old 06-24-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Quote:
Some of the people at the other site mentioned above would probably have better answers regarding the Central Tech and Crowder classes, but here's my general understanding:

The courses, if you were to walk in off the street, would cost something along the lines of $5,000 including room and board. If you are pre-approved, pre-hired, or whatever the terminology is, you get the course for the $1,000 along with a guaranteed job upon completion. It has been my understanding that the $1,000 is the only money shelled out by the student for the course. Room and board may be on top of that though. I'm sure some other members can clarify this point.

Where it appears to be different from the way other companies operate is that if you don't like working for CFI you can walk away. You don't owe any money to them. No money is withheld from your paychecks while you work for them and there are no negative repercussions (other than maybe looking like a job-hopper) if you choose to leave. The other companies will "give" you the training, but you gradually repay it over your first 6 to 24 months, depending on the company. If you choose to quit while you're in their 'indentured' status, you owe them.

This sort of thing was why I chose to just foot the bill myself when I was starting. I had no desire to be tied to any company, mainly because the reading you do on sites like this one will convince you not to trust anyone. About a month or two after I started at CFI I started hearing people talk about their new subsidized CDL program. If only I had known... But hey, the other three grand won't make or break me. The people who have come through the program have almost unanimously said that it was a great experience. Some find that life at CFI, or often just life on the road in general, doesn't suit them, but they still have a CDL license with which they can do whatever kind of driving they choose.
The program, as far as Central Tech, is that CFI pre-hires you and will pay all tuition except $1000. You pay the $1000, room and board and any other expenses. With Crowder I believe it is the same except the room and board is included with the tuition which means the basic costs are covered under your $1000 share.

CFI does not guarentee a job when you complete any of their training programs. You still must attend the orientation in Joplin, MO and take their driving test, etc. If you do not pass their driving test, or other requirements, you are shown the door just as at any other company. When you are shown the door you naturally are on your own dime to get home.

Unless they have changed very recently CFI starts new school grads out at $350/week while with their trainer and the trainee must successfully complete 750 hours of actual drive time. If your trainer feels you are ready after 750 hours you are tested once again and if you pass you are issued your own truck. At that point you are paid 28 CPM until you hit a certain mileage and your pay is subject to raise from there.

It is interesting to note that if you attend Central Tech the in state tuition is only $1600 and out of state tutition is $3300. It is, without a doubt one of if not the best schools in the country as far as facilities, staff and program.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Quote:

The program, as far as Central Tech, is that CFI pre-hires you and will pay all tuition except $1000. You pay the $1000, room and board and any other expenses. With Crowder I believe it is the same except the room and board is included with the tuition which means the basic costs are covered under your $1000 share.

CFI does not guarentee a job when you complete any of their training programs. You still must attend the orientation in Joplin, MO and take their driving test, etc. If you do not pass their driving test, or other requirements, you are shown the door just as at any other company. When you are shown the door you naturally are on your own dime to get home.

Unless they have changed very recently CFI starts new school grads out at $350/week while with their trainer and the trainee must successfully complete 750 hours of actual drive time. If your trainer feels you are ready after 750 hours you are tested once again and if you pass you are issued your own truck. At that point you are paid 28 CPM until you hit a certain mileage and your pay is subject to raise from there.

It is interesting to note that if you attend Central Tech the in state tuition is only $1600 and out of state tutition is $3300. It is, without a doubt one of if not the best schools in the country as far as facilities, staff and program.
CFI sounds like a great company....but at .28 cpm? Kinda low...
Old 06-24-2007, 10:32 PM

[quote="KATMANN
CFI sounds like a great company....but at .28 cpm? Kinda low...[/quote]

The trade-off is no contract to sign like other companies. Unfortunately CFI new people have no insurance for the first year and void of other benefits. I have read the discussions regarding how they calculate CPM raises and that certainly doe not sound the best.

If you go to www.cfidrivers.com you can learn a great deal about this company, good and bad. If anyone is considering CFI it is well worth reading through.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:52 PM

[quote=Sentinel]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "KATMANN
CFI sounds like a great company....but at .28 cpm? Kinda low...[/quote

The trade-off is no contract to sign like other companies. Unfortunately CFI new people have no insurance for the first year and void of other benefits. I have read the discussions regarding how they calculate CPM raises and that certainly doe not sound the best.

If you go to www.cfidrivers.com you can learn a great deal about this company, good and bad. If anyone is considering CFI it is well worth reading through.
I didn't know they voided health insurance and other benefits for a year

A friend on here just told me that you have to run so many miles a year just to get a raise.....hmmm
Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 PM

[quote="KATMANN
A friend on here just told me that you have to run so many miles a year just to get a raise.....hmmm[/quote]

That was my understanding of the raise process. There have been discussions on the cfi driver WEB site regarding this. If for whatever reason you do not make the miles you can stagnate in pay.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:10 PM

[quote=Sentinel]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "KATMANN
A friend on here just told me that you have to run so many miles a year just to get a raise.....hmmm[/quote

That was my understanding of the raise process. There have been discussions on the cfi driver WEB site regarding this. If for whatever reason you do not make the miles you can stagnate in pay.
Well, all I can say is that I don't like that plan.....at all