Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   CFI CDL Training question (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/27630-cfi-cdl-training-question.html)

bamalu 06-12-2007 02:12 AM

CFI CDL Training question

How does it compare to Schneider, Swift, CR England, and other companies?

poserpunk765 06-12-2007 02:36 PM

i believe the way it works here at CFI is that they pay for your schooling at either Crowder College in Neosho, MO or Central Tech in Drumright OK. They aren't company training programs, nor are they CDL mills. Both schools are public schools run by the government so they screw the taxpayers instead of the students.

I attended central tech before CFI started paying for it and i can promise central tech is a GREAT school. When i went to orientation i was one of 3 out of maybe 20 who actually knew how to drive a truck.

Good school, and a fairly good company after that.

Sentinel 06-13-2007 03:55 PM

If you go to www.cfidrivers.com there are several sections devoted to the training program. You can obtain a great deal of information there.

I have to agree with poserpunk765 about Central Tech!! I attended and highly recommend the school. If you search the BB here for Central Tech you will find more info on it. It is described in detail on www.cfidrivers.com.

Good luck!

oldnavyparts 06-13-2007 06:12 PM

I have heard nothing but good things about CFI. I understand there is a skid pad at Crowder for practicing controlled skids with the trucks. Does that sound right? I was going to post almost the exact same question to this forum today, and came across this post. Talk about coincidence!

greg3564 06-13-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poserpunk765
i believe the way it works here at CFI is that they pay for your schooling at either Crowder College in Neosho, MO or Central Tech in Drumright OK. They aren't company training programs, nor are they CDL mills. Both schools are public schools run by the government so they screw the taxpayers instead of the students.

I attended central tech before CFI started paying for it and i can promise central tech is a GREAT school. When i went to orientation i was one of 3 out of maybe 20 who actually knew how to drive a truck.

Good school, and a fairly good company after that.

CFI doesn't pay all of the tuition. You have to pay $1000 out of pocket and CFI picks up the rest. You don't sign any contracts, so you are free to leave CFI without owing anything.

bigdad7 06-16-2007 05:26 AM

i started with cfi too

great company to train with but after 3 months the pay and nonexsistant benefits are sub par.....

i did my training there but after 3 month jbhunt starting calling and finally i took them up on the 10cpm raise and weekends home ...amazing i actually average more miles with jbhunt home every weekend than i did running out 3 to 4 weeks out at a time ...but i did enjoy my time there minus the horrible benefits and low pay......

my employee number is 30528

dont forget me when you decide you want a raise

poserpunk765 06-16-2007 11:06 AM

Yeah to be honest CFI pay and bennies are a little on the low side. I guess you can't have a good company AND good pay. I've just got a few more months for my 1 year then i plan on going elsewhere.

If you are looking for a garunteed good company to get experience with you could do a LOT worse than CFI. I can honestly say i have not been screwed around once, and i almost always get around 3k a week. maybe not a lot to some, but just about right for me. Also have to say, and i hope this doesn't sound pompous, but most of the bad things i have heard about CFI seems to be from people griping about their own shortcomings the company didn't want to deal with.

Any way check em out. Good group.

bigdad7 06-16-2007 11:34 AM

new math

i only had four months in .....
i didnt say anything negative just low pay
must be new math your doing there cause i am getting 38cpm averaging over 3000 miles a week and still getting home every 5 to 6 days for 2 off even though this week i left the house mon afternoon and got home friday evening still got 2500 miles and about grossed almost 1000 gonna have to make up some fishing time this weekend .....i did get the miles at cfi but what is the point in driving more for less money you guys arent even faster anymore i heard they are cutting you down to 65mph but maybe you couldnt read the memo cause you dont have vision ins or weren't thinking clear enough because your teeth are hurting and your dental dont kick in til you have been there 1 yr.....just a thought ....

when your ready for a raise and real benefits remember emp num 30528
slow trucks don't mean little checks....

Karnajj 06-16-2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poserpunk765
Yeah to be honest CFI pay and bennies are a little on the low side. I guess you can't have a good company AND good pay.

Sure you can. It's called Crete Carriers.

VitoCorleone99 06-23-2007 05:59 PM

Re: new math

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdad7
i only had four months in .....
i didnt say anything negative just low pay
must be new math your doing there cause i am getting 38cpm averaging over 3000 miles a week and still getting home every 5 to 6 days for 2 off even though this week i left the house mon afternoon and got home friday evening still got 2500 miles and about grossed almost 1000 gonna have to make up some fishing time this weekend .....i did get the miles at cfi but what is the point in driving more for less money you guys arent even faster anymore i heard they are cutting you down to 65mph but maybe you couldnt read the memo cause you dont have vision ins or weren't thinking clear enough because your teeth are hurting and your dental dont kick in til you have been there 1 yr.....just a thought ....

when your ready for a raise and real benefits remember emp num 30528
slow trucks don't mean little checks....

Dude, bitterness is unbecoming. The topic was company sponsored training, not JB Hunt recruiting lingo. Just because you're the one JBH driver in this country that gets 3000 miles a week and gets home on weekends, you really shouldn't think everybody else is stupid. I get the calls every week from the JB's too. Up to $1,000 a week, up to 48 hours off, etc. etc. Nail them down to a number and you find out they're full of it.

If I've spoken with a bunch of JBH drivers that are struggling to make ends meet, I'm sure you have too, so it's a little disingneuous to try to tell these new drivers that what you're doing is somehow representative of what JBH offers. It's great that you found the place that makes you happy, but seriously man, let the CFI thing go. Whatever left you so bitter about it, you got your three months of experience and it all worked out for you.

On the actual topic, as was mentioned earlier, you pay $1,000 and have no strings attached. I know that I personally spent $4,000 in Detroit to get my own CDL. Had I known that you could get the subsidy from a company but without the strings (like Schneider, England, et al. would attach) I would have given it a serious look.