User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider Interview

Tomorrow I have my first telephone interview with Schneider. Can anyone with interviewing experience with Schneider give me any idea of what to expect? What to ask?

I have a list that is nearly 2 pages long of questions to ask, but I am curious about what others' might have asked that I might be overlooking. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

I'm hopeful that I can get on with Schneider, they are the top of my list based on feedback from folks who are currently and have previously been employed by them. They seem to have most of what I am looking for so I'm really excited about this interview and the prospect of being able to be a company driver for them.

Everything I've learned, I've learned the hard way. I prefer it that way, the easy way just isn't any fun!
-------------------------------------------------------
Drive on Brothers & Sisters. Drive On.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Rookie

I was just hired by Schneider in Charlotte NC. I attended their job fair last week. They treated me very well and really answered my questions with out making me feel like a newbie!
Anyway its really just a matter of paperwork... making sure you have all you ID, License, endorsments, SSN, yada yada. They let me know the next day that I had a prehire and that they were interested in me. They really make it easy for you. Good Luck!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 PM

Howdy....been a few years since I had that phone interview so I don't remember any specific questions that they or I asked.

They want you to answer at the time they set up, not sure if they will try again.

Seems like they just covered the pay, benefits, where I would train. I know he did answer my questions because I also had a long list.

Then it seems he sets you up with a contact person and when to call them. That person helps guide you throught the rest of the hiring process.

They set up your physical, travel to training, and motel.

If you have any questions that is who you will call to get answers. I remember I had to fax the person addittional information.

From the phone interview until I started training was about 2 months. But I could have started sooner, just had to tie up loose ends at home.

Hope this helps....good luck, Schneider is a good trainign company.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

I have been with Schneider for 6 months now and it is a good company to work for but BE CAREFULL.

Are you going to Green Bay to train?

If you are going to Green Bay to train be aware that they bring in about 80 students a week and most are unaware of how intense the 2 weeks are and about 30% will get sent home. The recruiters won't mention none of this to you. They move at a fast pace and anyone slightly behind schedule will be dropped off at the local bus terminal for a ride home.

Best of Luck to You
Old 06-06-2007, 11:04 PM

Long as you are serious and do your part to take in what they are trying to teach you, you will not be sent home.

The ones I saw sent home were jokers or were not really serious about the whole deal.

At night in the motel, relax for a bit. Study anything they wanted you to and go over what they covered that day. Don't get caught up in going out to have a good time and staying out late.

It's not hard to succeed at Schneider if you put in your time and effort.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Senior Board Member

SNI now does a physical fitness test also for new students, i dont know if they do it for new hire experienced drivers, you have to go thru a series of mindless physical activities. But, no worry its just stooping down to pick up a box and etc......
Old 06-07-2007, 02:12 AM

First off thanks for all of your responses. It is helpful!

I'm currently attending a CDL training course at a local college here and I am curious about how different Schneiders training will be? Can anyone give me any ideas of what to expect? I've got my CDL Permit, by the end of my course in three weeks I will take my first stab at the DMV road tests (hoping to pass the first go around and have my CDL right out of school).

Since I have already recently taken a physical will they still require a new one upon hiring me?

How about Hazmat? I'm willing to get it I just don't really have the money right now to pay for the backgroud check. Will they give you time to do that and allow you to drive non hazmat loads? Are they flexible?

I am sure I can ask the interviewer all these things tomorrow but I'm really kinda wanting to get a heads up if I can.

Any more help is greatly appreciated! )

Everything I've learned, I've learned the hard way. I prefer it that way, the easy way just isn't any fun!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:19 PM

Not sure about the college you are learning at, but Schneider taught me more in 2 days of training than I learned at the CDL mill I went to.

I had a current physical and Schneider wanted their own done.

I already had hazmat so it never was a question. So I'm not sure if it is required first or not.

Good luck with your CDL test. Before I tested I set up the recliner in front of the couch ( in line ) and practiced my pre- trip in the lving room.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Well I had my phone interview and I got the "congratulations" speech at the end. I'm very pleased at this moment.

I will be training in Green Bay. But I'm ahead of the curve because I've already been in CDL school and will already have my License by the time I head out.

OhioMowhawk - when you went through training in Green Bay were you there with or without a previous CDL/training?

From what I've heard from another recent recruit to SNI from the school I'm currently attending, he didn't have to deal with all the same stuff that a standard recruits did. He was only in "orientation" for 3.5 days and then it was home for a couple of days to wait on a trainer to become available.

I'm sure everyone's experience is different and that people with and without previous experience, Class A CDL, etc will not experience the training the same.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:03 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi_roxx
Well I had my phone interview and I got the "congratulations" speech at the end. I'm very pleased at this moment.

I will be training in Green Bay. But I'm ahead of the curve because I've already been in CDL school and will already have my License by the time I head out.

OhioMowhawk - when you went through training in Green Bay were you there with or without a previous CDL/training?

From what I've heard from another recent recruit to SNI from the school I'm currently attending, he didn't have to deal with all the same stuff that a standard recruits did. He was only in "orientation" for 3.5 days and then it was home for a couple of days to wait on a trainer to become available.

I'm sure everyone's experience is different and that people with and without previous experience, Class A CDL, etc will not experience the training the same.
You should be fine.....If you have some training before going up there you will be ahead of the crowd. I went up to Green Bay in July 06 with no prior experience and was sent home because I did not catch on. I came back to Ohio and went to a 5 week truck driving school and recieved my CDL then returned to Green Bay in Dec 06 and did fine.

As far as that 3.5 days goes all I can tell you is they gathered 16 of us who had just recieved our CDL's from a trucking school and took us to a room and we each went out for a driving test on our 1st day there and 2 out of 16 passed. Those 2 only stayed there for 3.5 days and the rest of us stayed the whole 2 weeks. They reason why 14 of us failed was becuase when we went through CDL mills we were not taught how to handle tight button hook turns therefore we all ran over curbs during the driving test. Most Cdl mills teach you enough to pass the CDL and thats it.

To be on the safe side when you go.....bring enough clothing and $$ for two weeks because several people thought they were only going to be there 3.5 days and ended up having to stay the whole 2 weeks.

I think you will do fine and wish you the best of luck, Schneider is a good company to work for.