User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default This, or that?

Going though a 3rd party hiring agency currently, standing offer is PAM or USA Truck. USA Truck offers better miles, better pay, but PAM offers dedicated routes and advancement opportunities. New to the field and wondering which I should take. Schooling to begin in St. Louis on or about 17 March 2008. Suggestions and / or comments greatly appreciated.

H.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Senior Board Member

What do you mean by 'advancement opportunities'? For a truck driver?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah thats kinda a personal choice thing there,I like dedicated routes myself,you get to know routes and shippers etc. and if it affords consistant home time that would be good,some people on the other hand hate doing the same thing over and over.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Rookie

If you are completely new I would not train at pam. From what I understand, they use/train in automatics. If you get your CDL this way you will have a automatic only endorsement on your licence. Will really tie your hands latter on.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Rookie

Not entirely sure what the guy meant when it came to advancement opportunities, perhaps it meant within the company. I would assume that a decent driver could be promoted to an office job, though I couldn't fathom why someone would seek such an opportunity.

Personally, I'd just like to get on the road. Dedicated routes are nice, for those that are experienced and fully confident with their abilities in handling the truck. However, as a complete newbie I feel it might be prudent for me to get any experience I can. The more, the better. Settling into the same route won't always present you with new challenges and allow you to learn how to get your truck in or out of all sorts of tight spots.

I previously attempted to go with Swift Transportation but after the ball was dropped during my scheduled schooling (I was sent to Millerton on the day of the "issue" and turned away, told to return home and report to Phoenix AZ on 16 Mar 2008) I decided to "shop around". Not sure if that's typical of any company sending individuals to school, but after 2 attempts and getting stranded in Memphis I decided it would be better to seek schooling closer to home.

However, I can't say from any experience on how well the school in St. Louis will prepare well enough for my entry into the field. Again, any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

H.

EDIT: I can't stand Autos, so USA it is then. Thanks Haldemand.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like you're using Drivers Solutions. The contract is so heavily slanted in their favor it isn't funny. I know, because I've seen it and read it. If you leave for any reason they tack on $4000 in fees to what you already owe on your loan. It's one thing to pay a loan back, but to penalize you $4000 is robbery.

Try Swift, Schneider or Central Refrigerated. Better companies than PAM and USA Truck and better training. Plus they don't rob you if you should have to leave before your time is up.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Rookie

Hmm.. well, I did initially go with Swift, but after 2 bus ticket screw ups and then the Millerton issue I decided to do a little research. From what I understand with Swift, is that they get a government stipend or some grant to educate their new drivers, so it costs them nothing. On top of that you're required to work 2 years to pay off the $6k cost of schooling, which again costs them nothing.

From what I'm told, new drivers aren't guaranteed an assignment as they complete their schooling / mentor program. Also told was I, that normally a new driver can't be guaranteed runs over 50 - 100mi, and infrequently. There's also some sort of lawsuit filed in Phoenix over drivers being short changed. I'm not putting them down, not saying that they're not worth a shot, but from personal dealings with them and from the research I've done (including info / suggestions from current Swift drivers) I've tried to look at other routes.

Correct you are that I am going through Driver Solutions, as I was attempting to apply to Star Transportation and was directed to DSI by Star's website. According to the fella at DSI, they no longer work with Star. So, not knowing a whole lot about DSI I went with them as far as the schooling is concerned.

Very confusing, appreciate the comments and suggestions thus far and welcome any further comment. Thanks.

H.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrunner7
Hmm.. well, I did initially go with Swift, but after 2 bus ticket screw ups and then the Millerton issue I decided to do a little research. From what I understand with Swift, is that they get a government stipend or some grant to educate their new drivers, so it costs them nothing. On top of that you're required to work 2 years to pay off the $6k cost of schooling, which again costs them nothing.
I've heard these rumors before and no one can ever substantiate them. They do get money from WIA, but that isn't a loan on behalf of the student.

As far as the 2 year payoff, you pay something like $25 a week and Swift matches and the loan is paid off in 1 year. If you stay longer than one year Swift pays you back $25 a week for one year. So if you stay one year your loan is paid half by you, half by Swift. Stay 2 years and your loan is paid by Swift.

Quote:
From what I'm told, new drivers aren't guaranteed an assignment as they complete their schooling / mentor program. Also told was I, that normally a new driver can't be guaranteed runs over 50 - 100mi, and infrequently. There's also some sort of lawsuit filed in Phoenix over drivers being short changed. I'm not putting them down, not saying that they're not worth a shot, but from personal dealings with them and from the research I've done (including info / suggestions from current Swift drivers) I've tried to look at other routes.
No company is going to guarantee you a trainer. They will do everything possible to get you on with one. But I've heard those same complaints about all the training companies. Most students do go out right away.

The Millington thing was just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That sucks though.

Quote:
Correct you are that I am going through Driver Solutions, as I was attempting to apply to Star Transportation and was directed to DSI by Star's website. According to the fella at DSI, they no longer work with Star. So, not knowing a whole lot about DSI I went with them as far as the schooling is concerned.
If USA Truck is something you want but want a better loan agreement, they will send you to school too. Just go to their website and apply and they send you to various contract schools. Better than the scam at Drivers Solutions.

Quote:
Very confusing, appreciate the comments and suggestions thus far and welcome any further comment. Thanks.

H.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Rookie

Ok. Phoenix AZ, or Gary IN? One of the drivers did recommend having them send me to the Gary School (shortly later another gentleman advised me against Gary). Gary is closer, but as I understand it Phoenix would offer me the better of the training regiments.

Apologies if I came off as offensive or against Swift, I am at this time uncertain what to think. I know only that I had to reschedule due to a transportation mistake, then when I finally got to Memphis I was told to return home by the shuttle driver. My recruiter mentioned she tried to call me the previous day but I was "already gone". I had my cell phone on all day, and missed no calls. There were no voice messages either. I didn't actually leave Carbondale aboard a Greyhound bus till 20:05 CST that Monday. Spent the morning in Memphis, was told to return home, then left Memphis at or around 16:40 EST only to get stuck in Nashville till 0530 EST the next day. Got back to Carbondale around 10:10 CST.

What was most frustrating about most of this was the lack of answers. So, I do apologize most sincerely if I came off offensive or as if I was trashing Swift.

Thanks again Greg3564, you're input is greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time.

H.

EDIT: And, if it doesn't already show.. I'm only 26, and know very little of the trucking industry. So I thank you for your patience.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Rookie

I have to jump in here and tell you not to apologize to anybody if you were put in a bad situation. If your going to play around with these companys such as Swift watch out for your own ass ! Be skeptikul, be aware,.......The horror stories on this site can be your guide. You do have many options out there choose wisely. And good luck.