User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 03:40 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default crete vs barr-nunn

My first post! I have been driving for about 11 months w/ no moving violations or preventables and thinking of switching companies when I get a year in next month. I like otr right now and am looking for a company with good cpm and loh. home time is not as important. I live close to Hickory, NC. Barr-Nunn and Crete both seem like close to what I am looking for, Crete may have better loh on their national fleet. Do both companies treat you well? Are there any suggestions for other companies in my area pulling a van, or maybe a tanker? tried pulling a skateboard for a while. Thanks for any help!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Superior Carriers...

Has nearby terminals in High Point, Charlotte, and Wilmington. If you don't mind the idea of pulling a chemical tanker (contrary to what you may hear about how dangerous it is, especially from those who have never pulled one :roll or, being paid for everything you do you may want to check into them. I've got a journal documenting all of my runs there along with their pay and benefits here: http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...=168437#168437

I'll warn you though, it's a lot of reading so get comfortable :lol:!

Good luck :wink:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 05-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Board Regular

I have a buddy who drives for Crete, and he seems to really like them.They keep him quite busy.If you have any questions, PM me and I'll hook you up with him. :wink:
Old 05-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Crete will give you better LOH as well as better pay. Barr-Nunn has more options as far as fleets are concerned but they spend way too much time in the NE as far as I'm concerned. Crete is perhaps the best company out there if you want to see the whole country. It took me less than a year to get 47 of the 48 states. Barr-Nunn runs a lot of mid-roof trucks whereas Crete runs full condo's unless you are on one of the Walmart fleets.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 05-28-2007, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Cyanide, I had read your posts about tankers and found some great info. I looked up superior and they seem like a good company, but on their website it states that you can't have a suspension on your license in the past 3 years. I got a minor ticket back in '04 and forgot about it, and they suspended my license until i paid it off (little over a year later). But i was never pulled in that time with a suspended license. Do you think Superior might give me a chance since my license wasn't suspended for something like speeding or DUI? I was thinking about calling the terminal in Charlotte and asking, they are about an hour away from me.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Cyanide, sounds like you might have Married ready to join your cult of Toxic Avengers!!! You going to teach him the secret handshake? lol Seriously, I am considering bulk myself. Looking at anything but REEFER !! :wink:
Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 PM

Yeah i'm not interested in reefer myself. Flatbed my be ok with a different company, but not happy where I'm at. You can probably tell where I work now because they want you to stay out a min. of 3-4 weeks, which i can handle, but they will run me hard for a week or two, then i might get two 34-hour restarts in the same week without asking for either one. i have even had to sit for 4-5 days :!: a couple of times at a t/s waiting for a load-that is a work week to some people- or about that long at the shop at the terminal to get anything done on the truck. I never know what is going to happen when I drop a load, I may get another load that day about 70-80% of the time, but some of those I can't pick up until the next day. they won't pay 24 hours layover until you sit for 48 hours, and i have had to sit for a day to a day and a half for a load too many times. It just seeems like they are on top of things one moment and are all screwed up the next. And almost all of my loads are delivered ontime or early, and I always get compliments from logs/safety dept. on my logs. I was making some rookie mistakes and sometimes would get lost and would be a couple of hours late sometimes in the begining, and I thought that was the problem. but I have been doing a lot better and still have had the same problems. I just don't think it has anything to do with my performance anymore. Now that I nearly have a year in, I don't feel like I have to put up with it anymore.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Cyanide's standing right here with me, and both of us think that its possible that you may not have that much of a problem with Superior on that suspension. Can't guarantee anything.... but its worth making a phone call to find out!

As for the "secret handshake"....as soon as we figure out one.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, my last settlement sheet: 2532 miles = $1258.35 (Almost 50cpm 8) )

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 PM

Was that for one week? That's not bad, especialy if you had the weekend off.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by married to the road
Was that for one week? That's not bad, especialy if you had the weekend off.
I was actually out for 15 days....but my total pay for the 15 days was about $2650.00, then I went home for 4 days... I stay out a little longer than most, and I stay home alittle longer than some. It all works out. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.