User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 01:39 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Don't work for DHL. I do alot of investing on the side and read alot of financial publications. I read a big article on DHL last year and was impressed. My best friend works for R&L and dated a girl in the office. Thats how I know about the R&L/DHL meeting. When I heard the Central Transport rumor I watched the stock to see if there was a volume spike to confirm the rumor. I figured I'd play the buyout but it didn't materialize. When Yellow was rumored to buy USf back in 2005 I noticed the volume spike and loaded up on shares. The day they announced the buyout the stock went from $39 to $48. I made a killing. I wish I could have 5 days like that a every year.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2explain18
Don't work for DHL. I do alot of investing on the side and read alot of financial publications. I read a big article on DHL last year and was impressed. My best friend works for R&L and dated a girl in the office. Thats how I know about the R&L/DHL meeting. When I heard the Central Transport rumor I watched the stock to see if there was a volume spike to confirm the rumor. I figured I'd play the buyout but it didn't materialize. When Yellow was rumored to buy USf back in 2005 I noticed the volume spike and loaded up on shares. The day they announced the buyout the stock went from $39 to $48. I made a killing. I wish I could have 5 days like that a every year.
Thanks for the comeback. I wasn't aware that Central Transport was a publicly traded company.

It's a great feeling when you buy a stock based on some indicator you're watching and the price starts launchin' soon afterwards!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Senior Board Member

My pet theory is that DHL is going to buy out Con-Way and are just waiting for a rough couple of quarters to tank the stock price.

Any LTL with national reach is a potential takeover target. R+L is not quote there yet; still some gaps on the Left Coast.

The big advantage UPS has is that they can offer bundled pricing for LTL, parcel and warehouse (supply chain solutions). They are poised to assimilate ABF into the brown collective after the next contract.

FedEx has too many brands right now; they have become the General Motors of the transportation sector. When you have Express, Home and Ground delivering similar packages its too much overlap. Ditto on having 2 parallel LTL systems (Viking & American Freightways) and the recently borged Watkins. Then to put the icing on top they went and bought Kinkos.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
My pet theory is that DHL is going to buy out Con-Way and are just waiting for a rough couple of quarters to tank the stock price.

Any LTL with national reach is a potential takeover target. R+L is not quote there yet; still some gaps on the Left Coast.

The big advantage UPS has is that they can offer bundled pricing for LTL, parcel and warehouse (supply chain solutions). They are poised to assimilate ABF into the brown collective after the next contract.

FedEx has too many brands right now; they have become the General Motors of the transportation sector. When you have Express, Home and Ground delivering similar packages its too much overlap. Ditto on having 2 parallel LTL systems (Viking & American Freightways) and the recently borged Watkins. Then to put the icing on top they went and bought Kinkos.
I believe FedEx's motto is "Buy or Die." :lol: Seriously, over time I'm sure they'll be streamlining everything and avoiding too much overlap. BTW, talked to a Watkins P/D driver right after FedEx bought Watkins and he was ecstatic. He finally was getting paid hourly rather than miles for his route.

UPS gobbling up ABF...good fit (burp).

Conway & DHL...that does make sense.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:34 AM
Rookie

They were publicly traded. Used to have the ticker symbol CNF. I can't remember if they got bought by a private equity firm last year or went private but I remember they were trading for around $2 per share.

As for Con-Way. I thought about that being a great fit for DHL but never really considered it. And I know they warned in advance for some bad quarterly reports and the last one time they announced there net income dropped like 16% but the company is still earning around $4 per share with a P/E of around 11. Thats not bad. I'm still waiting for the economic slowdown and will have to start shorting stocks. I deliver building materials and we slowed down at the start of the year but we're picking up again. They posted 2 job openings at the union hall last month and still haven't filled them. This time last year guys were begging to work here. Its weird. I know Yellow has been looking for full time city drivers in Pittsburgh for 2 months now. I'd hate to give up my seniority here and start on the bottom over there. The benefits are about the same and we come close on the pay.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2explain18
They were publicly traded. Used to have the ticker symbol CNF. I can't remember if they got bought by a private equity firm last year or went private but I remember they were trading for around $2 per share.

As for Con-Way. I thought about that being a great fit for DHL but never really considered it. And I know they warned in advance for some bad quarterly reports and the last one time they announced there net income dropped like 16% but the company is still earning around $4 per share with a P/E of around 11. Thats not bad. I'm still waiting for the economic slowdown and will have to start shorting stocks. I deliver building materials and we slowed down at the start of the year but we're picking up again. They posted 2 job openings at the union hall last month and still haven't filled them. This time last year guys were begging to work here. Its weird. I know Yellow has been looking for full time city drivers in Pittsburgh for 2 months now. I'd hate to give up my seniority here and start on the bottom over there. The benefits are about the same and we come close on the pay.
You're right--CT was public and is now private.

I believe the long term outlook for the stock market in general (S&P, Dow, Nasdaq, etc.) over the next several decades will be trending upward. However within those decades will be a bumpy ride all around--up, down, and sideways. We could be in for some bumps downward as we speak--especially if China stocks tank as they did in Febrary.

Yeah it's tough considering a move to another barn--you start all over again. Yet, sometimes that can be a good thing.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:20 PM

conway and dhl? really i couldnt see it happpening but what do i know
Old 05-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Rookie

You want to see something interesting? Go to Yahoo Finance and type in the ticker symbol for Yellow (YRCW) and read the headline from May 24 about Yellow being a takeover target.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Do the same in Google Finance and the most recent story shows the CEO backpeddling -- explaining that what he said shouldn't be taken out of context.

Anywho, best to buy on the rumor, sell on the news! In Yellow's case, can't really tell if there is even a rumor.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:51 PM