User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Maverick Hometime? Sorry guys.

I live in Southeast Missouri, right in the middle of the I55, 57 corodor. That being said, where will I likely be traveling. I am on the pre hire list, should leave out next week for oreintation, they told me the mid west, Texas, Oklaohma, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas would be my area? Are they pretty straight up on stuff like that? I am also pre hired with TMC, I have put them on hold for maverick and think I have made the right choice. Now remember, I just ask about Mavericks home time. Don't care anything about TMC at this time.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Board Member

You should be able to get home most every weekend.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Board Regular

You are in a prime area for hometime, I go through that area via I 55 and us 60 through cairo. Once in a great while, I will go via I 57 but not so much. The recruiters didnt lie to me about anything.
I dont know what division they are going to put you with, that will have some effect on where you go. I am in Nashville and Im in US division. I am thinking you will be in the same division. If so you will be going through OK, TX, LA, AR, NE, some KS, and everything east and northeast from there. I havent been to ND, SD as of yet so I dont think thats an area youll go much. I have been all the way up to Maine once. But I havent done much NE as a whole because they have their own division. I havent been extreme SE much either because they have their own division as well. Hope that helps. If you have any other ?s just ask or pm me and Ill get back to you as soon as I can.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Rookie
Default .

Thanks Steve, I am ready to go and give this a try. My main concern is getting in tight places. I have heard all kinds of bad things about the northeast and thats kind of scary fresh out of school. I am suppose to call maverick back today, should know when they can get me in. Where did you train at Steve? Little Rock? What is the training like? And What about the trainers? They said they couldn't promise me to get back home during my training time. What about after training, do they take the time with a newbie, or do they throw them out in the real world and all those tight places lol?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Best of luck semo. Stay safe and be careful. I think you'll enjoy flatbedding.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:33 AM
Rookie

I'm interested in Maverick myself...see their trucks constantly on Hwy 60 between Dexter and Sikeston...and with a family of my own their hometime seems like a pretty good deal.
Bol and keep in touch.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Board Regular

I live just south of you guys a little and I'm sure you'll be in the US division. You'll basicly run TX, OK, AR, MO and then anything east of the Miss. river, north of FL and south of the northeastern states. I've been into PA a few times, MD and NJ once, MI a couple times. KS and IA seem to drop in every once in a while.

You shouldn't have a problem getting home. The majority of the freight will run you straight through the house for the weekend.

Hope this helps!

Arky
Old 05-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Rookie

Thanks Arky. Can't decide whether to keep pursuing a career in bulk or try something different and be home most weekends with flatbed. Decisions, decisions LOL.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by semo63936
Thanks Steve, I am ready to go and give this a try. My main concern is getting in tight places. I have heard all kinds of bad things about the northeast and thats kind of scary fresh out of school. I am suppose to call maverick back today, should know when they can get me in. Where did you train at Steve? Little Rock? What is the training like? And What about the trainers? They said they couldn't promise me to get back home during my training time. What about after training, do they take the time with a newbie, or do they throw them out in the real world and all those tight places lol?
Im back now from another week of workin'. So to answer your questions, I trained in Newport, AR about 80 miles from Little Rock. The training is not from Maverick, but From Arkansas State University. You will only get securement training from Maverick. ASU, is basically like a lot of other mills. Its a three week ordeal. But I think they do a great job for the time they have. They start you out week one doing one thing, going straight back, pull up and do it again. Watch out for the barrells, the first day they like to jump out and hit your trailer. The big challenge is going back and forth from a box 53' to a 48' spread axle flatbed. Once you get used to one, they throw you in another. If you click on the www. icon below, it will take you to my blog and if you go from the start of the blog, you will get a full account of everything I went through to get my cdl and training I got from Maverick. Anyway BOL
Old 05-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Board Regular

No problem, your welcome to pm me if you have any specific questions about Maverick..or you can post them here.

Since you do have experience, there is no waiting to get on with them so you could be flatbedding within a week or so. They would probably want you to go through securement training.

As far as getting home on the weekends, you will. Some of them will be for 34 hours, but most of the time you'll get more. I have no way of knowing how much you gross per week with the bulk hauling, but if I weren't grossing at least $1000/wk and getting home most weekends, I would look at Maverick.

Have a good one!

Arky