User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default PTL

Ok, I have done a search, I have been to the website, I have spoken to the recruiters. Now I want to hear from drivers. All the searches on here turned up with little info. Tell me what you know, good or bad.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Rookie

My wife and I have driven as a team with PTL since last November. We average between 3000 and 3500 miles per week. I have driven as a solo driver 4 weeks during that time when my wife couldn't come on the road due to health and family problems. As a solo driver I got between 2200 and 2800 miles per week. We get .35 cpm as a team and I get .31 cpm as a solo driver. Health insurance takes 6 months to kick in. They just recently stopped the fuel bonus program. Also no safety or any other bonus is available. Orientation is very well run and organized and everyone is very friendly and helpful. Overall a very easy going and good company to work for. Two problems we've had were our first fleet manager was a jerk and my wife had problems with her first trainer. We changed fleet managers and my wife switched trainers and both problems were resolved quickly. One thing about PTL is that all the trucks are auto-shifts. This is good and bad. Good because not having to shift when you are first learning to drive is great because its one less thing you have to worry about while your getting used to the truck, looking for customers and driving through tight city streets. Bad because you never get to learn to get used to shifting in all conditions, in the mountains and float gears. I am going to be looking for a local job here shortly and I dont honestly know if I can pass a company road test in a 10 or 13 speed truck. Overall I would recommend PTL as a good place to work. Just remember starting off in an auto-shift may handicap you down the road when you want to move to a different company. If you have any questions let me know.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Thank you for your reply. I have been driving for going on 10 yrs now.so the shifting is no problem. Its like riding a bike, you never forget. You may get rusty but you never forget. 3000 to 3500 miles as a team is not great miles in my book. I will keep checking on it though. Thanks again for your reply!
Old 05-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Rookie

Here is some more info I forgot to put. No forced dispatch, meaning if you dont like the load or where its going you can turn it down. No NYC or northeast if you choose. Trucks have Pre-Pass for weigh stations and EZ-Pass for toll roads. All no touch freight, you will never have to unload anything. Probably 70-75% drop and hook. Detention pay after 2 hours. Layover pay if you have to sit overnight waiting for a load. 24/7 driver services and road maintanence assistance. If you have to pay cash for a toll or to get your load weighed they will reimburse you within 1 or 2 days on your Comdata card. No problems with payroll. Our pay has always been right on the money (no pun intended).
Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 AM
Rookie

I know 3000-3500 miles for a team is not great miles but its perfect for us. We get to shower regularly, do laundry, and sleep most of the time overnight without the truck moving. I really dont think we would have lasted this long on the road if we were doing 5000-6000 miles per week and driving constantly.