User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007, 03:04 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default PGT Trucking

Well I just finished my week of orientation at PGT's Monaca terminal and on Monday I start up with my first trainer. He runs local up here in the Pittsburgh/Monaca area so it will interesting. Why a first trainer? I don't know. He also runs a covered wagen and their telling me that he's basically going to get me going on all the basics and get me used to going in and out of the steel mills. Then next week I'll be out OTR with a different trainer.

Whatever works for me. They have treated me well for the past week and so far they seem like a pretty good company. If anyone has any questions about them feel free to PM them to me or just bring them up here.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Hi dsd,

I've been running with them since Dec. (B'ham terminal) and I'm pretty happy with them so far...

Had a GREAT week 2 weeks ago with some unusually high dollar loads. I grossed $1503.85 on $6399.35 revenue....(wish that happened every week)

Averaging $800-900 though so I'm not complaining. (and that's at the bottom of the pay scale)

If you happen to see #20615 out there give me a shout.

Good luck to ya!

-Dave
Old 04-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Maybe the otr trainer had to finish up with the trainee he has now. I think that is a good idea. Sometimes the guys running local can show you stuff the otr guys don't know about. Short cuts, How to deal with the guys at the mills (I've brought a box of donuts with me before and they do remember you next time you're there). Enjoy the week.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:35 AM

Hey, it's great to see some other PGT drivers on here. One of the reasons I wanted to start this thread was because when I started to research them, there was very (re:none) little about then in cyberspace.

So with any luck (and a solid connection) I'll try to keep this updated so if anyone has any questions.

I finished my first week out with my local trainer and it went pretty well. I was really shaky at everything on Monday, but by Friday it was almost a 180. This was the first time I have ever even seen a hill much less drive on one, so there was a bit of a learning curve for me.

What really caught me off guard was that all during orientation they kept saying that we wouldn't drive for a day or while with our trainer. But I drove right away. We were empty at first and he did drive the first time we were loaded, but after that it was all me with only two exceptions. The trainer drove for maybe 4 hours the entire week.

Now I'm sitting again until Sunday sometime when I'll get to meet my otr trainer.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I've been running with them since Dec. (B'ham terminal) and I'm pretty happy with them so far...
What kind of equipment does the Birmingham terminal run? Also, where are you driving? How long was training?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:53 AM

The whole company is runs internationals. And training is four weeks. One of orientation and three in the truck. I'm midway though my second week. Sittin' at a TA in WV.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Rookie

Not to be nit-picky but what series Intl? What kinda tranny you rowing thru? Any regrets about going with PGT? Seeing good miles? Where'd you stay at during week 1? If at off-site motel or such, did they provide back-forth trans or did u drive a personal vehicle?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragginMan
Not to be nit-picky but what series Intl? What kinda tranny you rowing thru? Any regrets about going with PGT? Seeing good miles? Where'd you stay at during week 1? If at off-site motel or such, did they provide back-forth trans or did u drive a personal vehicle?
More on this later :wink:

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 04-28-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragginMan
You know, I've been in the truck for two weeks now and I never bothered to even look at what series it was. I know they just bought 20 or so new Prostar Premiums for some of the trainers. It does have a straight 10 Eaton Fuller tranny, though.

No regrets at so far. And I haven't run into one driver that has had any real regrets about hiring on with PGT.

They put you up at the Willows Inn in Industry, PA. It's not much, but it's a roof and bed. It has a mini fridge and a microwave in the room which was nice because it saved me a bit of money. They pick you the first morning but hand the keys over to the class that afternoon and you're responsible for getting there every morning after that. You can also go into town if you want when the day is over and get dinner or go to Walmart or the mall. They won't let you take into Pittsburgh, though. Which kinda sucked because a few of us wanted to see a Pirates game.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Rookie

That Intl Prostar is a nice looking truck. Your profile says you are from TX, but you went to PA for orientation/training????????? And now run out of the Birmingham terminal????? WTF?? Birmingham has no trainers or what? Straight ten tranny huh??? :rock: