User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
I absolutely think anything under .30 per mile is complete turd pay even for a newbie, but thats just me.... .25 is just gross!!!
I agree......a little research will turn up many, many companies that will start a newbie out at (or in a few cases above) .30cpm practical with the miles to boot.........
Old 04-22-2007, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Werner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
You will be used for the 1st year no matter where you go. Expect to get screwed a lot the 1st year. Stay out of trouble. Ask around about good companies while youre out there. Listen to guys who have been at it a while, especially the guys with 25+ years experience. I've been at it 13 years, and I still listen. I listen to those guys who had to use railroad timbers to reinforce the bridges they crossed. Real old timers. Learn to seperate the bs from the useful information, and then you will learn something. Its a skill I'm still trying to master.

Werner, JB Hunt, Schneider, US Express, Covenant, and the list goes on. You will never be anything more than capacity to them. Its simple logic. Do you really think they care about any one driver ? They want to rule as much of the trucking world as possible, and they use whoever they can to achieve that goal. Trucks limited to 68 mph, Mexican trucks, etc. These big companies and their front organization, ATA, are behind this stuff. Its all aimed at manipulating drivers to suit their ends. Get a year in, stay out of trouble, and then be very selective. Be informed. Consider joining OOIDA.
we have a couple of drivers who have been doing it so long they used to use a 5 gallon bucket for the trainee to sit on because the trucks only had one seat.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:52 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc_Is_Hell
I started at 26 cent. managed to put away plenty of money, yes its very low pay but deal with it.
And this is the attitude that let's them pay low wages. I see a future for you at walmart......... :lol: :lol:
Old 04-22-2007, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Id start raising hell and making calls. Try to hang in there till you go your 3 mos in and hop to another carrier. You being in ATL you should have no trouble getting freight in the SE and down to FL and over to TX. 25 cpm is slave labor and they will run you for that up there so long as you will have it. Demand a run going far away from the NE.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
yeah, that pay sucks. But dont quit yet. Just suffer for a little bit longer. Once you get 3 months a lot more doors will open for you.
Yeah in 3 months JB Hunt will take you................... :lol: :lol: Sorry SD I couldn't resist.

I'll tell you what doors would be opening right away if I were you. The door to my truck at the nearest terminal and that terminals mgr's door to turn in the keys. Then the door on the taxi on the way to the airport.

I've heard the exact same thing from former weiner drivers over and over. You get short runs and when you finally get assigned a decent one the dispatchers tell you to drop it at the nearest yard so their favorite pet/azz kissin drivers can take it.

One of the worst companies in the industry. I agree with those who said that you should've researched before starting with them.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Rookie

Well, I got to talking to the right person and it is/was .26cpm, but who gives about 1 penny. Anyways, I have been with weener for the 6months mark in less than one month. I already have been talking to the right people and looking at jobs paying 32+cpm, as well as being home every weekend.

The short mile runs in the NE going through nothing but high crime areas and getting nothing but bad directions, giving me the wrong adresses, andn wrong phone numbers to both shippers and cons.

I am on home time, I had to take my truck in for repairs. Of course I had to take everything out of my truck because thier "mechanics" are allowed to take anything they want out of the truck, and the search your truck and if they want somethign, they take it. Werner even has signs that they are not responsible for theft while the truck is in service. They do nothing about it when ti happens.

Well, since I am moved out and all, I am calling my dispatcher monday and having a talk. I don't think I will be going back out with Werner again.

I could make more money at walmart than werner. At least I could go home every night from walmart.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Werner OTR $0.25cpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason607
I went throught trucking school, did all of werner's 270hrs behind the wheel training which took a little over 2 months. They assign me OTR which was fine. My dispatcher was so busy, busy, busy he couldnt go into dept about my pay.... anyways they stick me in the Northeast where I do little runs, some below 50 miles, no pay for pickup or delivery, just a stright 25 cents per mile. On top of this, they insist on running me on the edge of my hours, and very hard to make appointment times. Many of the times, they will give me a nice 600-900 mile run, but then once I pick it up, they want me to take it to a dropyard or to split it with another driver.

I live in Atlanta, my first load usually goes to the NE and then they keep me up here until home time, which is a minimum of 18-21 days until I can come home.

Everyone I went to school with is making 28-30cpm starting.

My dad worked for roehl they are the same way but he wasn't out that long but it was i think 7 day out min. but he didn't make much money doing that so he was out about as long as u were. But you should have talked to their drivers more or any driver. you went threw drivin school so go work for a company that takes grads. but do research.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Werner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
You will be used for the 1st year no matter where you go. Expect to get screwed a lot the 1st year. Stay out of trouble. Ask around about good companies while youre out there. Listen to guys who have been at it a while, especially the guys with 25+ years experience. I've been at it 13 years, and I still listen. I listen to those guys who had to use railroad timbers to reinforce the bridges they crossed. Real old timers. Learn to seperate the bs from the useful information, and then you will learn something. Its a skill I'm still trying to master.
You don't have to stick with Werner for a year. Once you get to the three months solo mark more options open up.

Make sure you do your research before you go to another company.

Heck right now my LTL barn will hire folks with the ink still drying on their CDLs.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason607
I have been with weener for the 6months mark in less than one month. I already have been talking to the right people and looking at jobs paying 32+cpm, as well as being home every weekend.

Well, since I am moved out and all, I am calling my dispatcher monday and having a talk. I don't think I will be going back out with Werner again.
Jason, good for you and best of luck. Let us know where you end up.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc_Is_Hell
I started at 26 cent. managed to put away plenty of money, yes its very low pay but deal with it.
And this is the attitude that let's them pay low wages. I see a future for you at walmart......... :lol: :lol:
Well if he's in a loan with werner, then whats he gonna do? Also I also see a future of walmart.. Who doesn't deliver for wally's world?