User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need new gig out of central Ohio area

Hey drivers...

My beautiful home daily dedicated route for Werner has finally dried up, and I swore to myself that once it was done I'd move to a different company.

I'm currently located on the southwest side of columbus, and am searching for a regional or OTR job. On top of the 3 years on that dedicated route, I also have 1.5 years of OTR experience: one year with Heartland Express and six months with Werner. Clean driving/criminal record.

Hoping to find something that allows me to pull dry vans. Don't want any hazmat, but I'm not against switching to reefers. Other than that the only thing I really need is an APU and the promise of no Canada or NYC runs. A short nose truck would be nifty, too. All my time with Werner was in a T600, but I'm still partial to the Volvo my dad and I drove for Heartland (o/o).

There's a Crete terminal just down the street from me, but they already told me I'm out of luck on the apu.

Any suggestions? Comments? Dirty pictures? I've been stuck in the apartment for a couple weeks now and I miss driving in a bad way.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Check with Marten. When I worked for them they had day cabs in Columbus for the large amount of Budweiser they moved. They also have dedicated in that area since General Mills in Wellston is somewhat nearby....http://www.marten.com/Dedicated_collaborative.htm.... You won't find any apu's there though. Do you need one for a specific reason or do you just like them ? If you're being picky as a company driver whether or not the company trucks have an apu or not it's not going to be as easy to find what you are looking for.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 AM

Boyd Bros. is out of cincinatti. They are a flatbed outfit, but they get ya home weekends and they are in the process of puting apu's on all the trucks. The pay is pretty good too. youd start at right around 40cpm i think
Old 04-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Board Regular

Transport America has a terminal in Columbus. Also there is quite a few local outfits in Columbus such as Performance Foods that will have you home everynight. U.S. Xpress has a terminal down in Medway and USX also has a dedicated Dollar General account out of Zanesville that primarily runs into the northeast. USX is dry van, with auto-shift Volvos :wink:
Old 04-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member

I have what we call the NE closed loop regional open out of Columbus right now. This runs Columbus OH to Shrewsbury MA to Philly and Harrisburg PA. 42cpm and home at least every weekend.
Interested? Shoot me a PM. As far as the APU, some of our trucks have them, but no way I could guarantee you getting one.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Rookie

NTB is a regional carrier with a drop yard in Columbus. The closest terminal is Tipp City, OH which is a few miles north of Dayton.
They have Freightliners and all units have a APU.
They have both dry vans and reefers with most of them dry vans. You do need a hazmat endorsement.
The web site is http://www.ntbtrk.com.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

New bakery runs out of Zanesville,OH. Two drivers to a truck and do nothing but deliver buns to Wendy's(They are owned by Wendy's International). I know they make decent money. Easy job too, they use lift gates and place the buns on racks with wheels.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Rookie

Hey, I appreciate all the ideas :P

Talked with the US Express guys and they offered both dollar general a wal-mart dedicated. Were only payin 34 cents for the wal-mart, but goin to their stores and DC's all the time would be pretty nice.

Currently waitin on call backs from Marten and NTB, and put Transport America on the to-call list, too.

Averitt Express called me today and told me they have regional runs out of Columbus with no NYC and will start at 40.5 cents a mile. Was told they run Volvo 670s and are installin apu's in their company trucks. Anyone have other intel on them? Sounds like just what I was searching for, but I'm afraid there's gonna be some awful catch :P

Thanks again for all the ideas...didn't expect this much help :P

yay edit! Heh, read up on what people had to say bout Averitt here and on truckingboards...looks like they do an awful lot of sitting around and hardly get to spend any time at the house when they make it back there. Couple people mentioned there bein over 60 people at their orientations. Don't think that'd be a good fit :P
Old 04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Board Regular

There's always a need for drivers out of Columbus , it's a drivers market .They have lots of dedicated trips out of that area , I'd check the Columbus Dispatch and careerbuilder.com . Don't settle for any job with your experience and clean record with a common carrier like US Express,Boyd Brothers ,Averitt , etc.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Default Triad Transport

Personally Im tired of driving the usual fleet econoboxes for the big fleets that want to rule the trucking world. And Ive been to WalMart Dc's enough, and they are definitely one of my least favorite places to be. Im going to Triad Transport. They have a yard in Columbus,OH as well. Its OTR mostly. Hazmat stuff in vans and flats. Pete 379's 05 + newer. 36cpm to start with 1 year experience, and lots of miles. Benefits look very good. I spoke personally with 3 of drivers, and they were well satisfied. Maybe its for you, maybe not. Worth a look. 1-800-364-1139 or www.triadtransport.com.

Brian Miller