User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
......, I'm not convinced that tankers are all that great. (I don't care what skywalker says)
Then you shouldn't pull a tanker. If you don't care about what I say, I say fine....its not necessary for you to care...but are you referring to my comments about Bynum or tankers in general? Because if its about Bynum, then you don't have a good handle on the food grade tanker segment at all.

Quote:
I highly doubt that I could get to go as many places as I can on the national board with Crete, variety in other words. Also I'd have to take a 12 CPM paycut, and I'm all about working smarter, not harder. Why don't you crunch some numbers to figure out how much harder one would have to work to make that up?
For me to work for Crete.... I'd have to take anywhere from a 10 to 17 cpm paycut, as my pay generally works out to anywhere from 52 to 62 cpm after you add in my accessorial pays. You have to remember, when it comes to "chemical" tankers....we get paid for everything except fueling the truck and PTI's. Nor do we have to sit for 48 hours to collect 24 hours layover....which with most companies is $30 to $60. We sit for 15 hours and then we are paid $13.30 per hour for up to 8 hours($106.40), then if we are still sitting....we only wait 10 more hours and then are back on the clock. Paid for all loading and unloading time...all of it. If we have a breakdown....we go on the clock at $13.30 an hour until repaired. And there is far more. Based on our pay schedule.... I could sit absolutely stationary for 7 days straight, and still get paid $745.20 for the week. If a Crete driver sits for the same time....what do they get? I also get TWO weeks (not 10 days) vacation after the first year....not the 2, 3, 4, or 5 year. I also get 9 paid holidays, and two paid "personal days" a year, and can bank the personal days up to 5.... How many paid holidays and personal days do Acklie drivers get?

On the guy with lukemia....I feel for him, but....in the absence of empirical proof that his job caused his illness....I have to say your BS meter was malfunctioning. As Cyanide said....not all of our loads are hazardous, and when they exceed a certain degree of hazard....we have nothing to do with the handling of the product at any time....thus there is zero exposure to the chemicals. In the chemical tanker industry...SAFETY is paramount.
The companies are more critical as to who they hire...and training is far more extensive than a box or skateboard driver will ever encounter. And that training is also compulsory for "experienced drivers" as well. In addition to our initial familiarization training with a trainer....I had to ride with one for a week, even though I previously pulled a chemical tanker, as did Cyanide (both of us at CTL a long time ago) and I still had to do it with 1,300,000 safe miles.....then within 60 days we have to attend an intensive one week course in tanker/hazmat training & procedures at our company training center in Kingsport, TN....where incidentally the same instructors (ours) train DOT in hazmat and tanker operations. The course is "pass or fail". In other words...if you can't make the grade, you're gone.

Frankly, Cyanide is right that pulling a van...you have a greater risk of being exposed to hazmat in a van....even after its been unloaded and dropped, and the placards pulled off of it. If a package leaked or spilled on the floor of a van....and it wasn't properly washed out....you suffer exposure the second you walk in it, and even worse you are severely exposed when you sweep it out before the next load goes in it. Been there and done that.....and almost ended up going to a hospital because a heavy duty insecticide leaked out in a VAN, and I had to sweep it out.... Have never had that problem with a tanker.....

Further....a company like ours has drivers who have been doing this for many, many years.....alot of our drivers have been at it for over 20 years and suffer no ill effects. This is due to the fact that we are trained properly, and know how to prevent problems and protect ourselves when we are around hazmat....and in reality....we're not really around it because its in a stainless steel tanker that can survive rollovers without leakage. And again, the level of safety procedures is phenomenal when we are in a chemical plant. And we are never involved in loading, and sometimes when unloading. Often times, when we go to pick up a load, its been preloaded and closed up completely. We just do doublechecks, and roll, whether its sitting at a plant or on our yards. In my opinion, the only existent danger is in reality....a poor driver. But you won't find many of them around tankers...food grade or chemical. They aren't tolerated.

As far as "turnover"....the bulk of our turnover is nowadays related to the oldtimers retiring, and some of the new drivers not being able to handle the surge...or in the event that some have been BBR's not being able to adapt to an environment where "its NOT all about miles". A turnover rate of less than 37%...which I am inclined to question as when I have seen the reports....they are posted in the terminals....I have seen it to be closer to 25%...but then again I haven't "crunched the numbers", so Cyanide could be correct. Whats Crete's actual turnover figures?? Or the industry average other than "tanker"?? Generally its range is from 100% to 150%.

If I choose...I can get home every week...not once every 3 to 4 weeks. Its up to me....in fact, if I want to stay out longer than a week.... I have to tell them to let me "run". Can a box driver do that? 99.9% cannot.

Granted, not everyone is cut out to be a "tanker yanker". I believe it takes a desire to do it. It takes a desire for challenge, because the job has challenges..... And one has to be brighter than the average duck. Its a more involved and detailed job than probably any other in the trucking industry, with the exception of the guys who handle "radioactive" freight.

Not everyone can handle the surge, nor can they adjust their driving to accommodate it. And others are just too impatient to handle the slower pace.

I came back to tankers with an accumulated 1,300,000 safe miles of driving OTR....I've only pulled dry van and chemical tanks. So, you may have noticed.... I don't comment about flatbeds or reefers, because I know little about them. So, having said that.... I might suggest that you limit your comments about tankers to your experience with them. While you are entitled to your opinion.... you have to remember, "opinions are like anuses....everyone has at least one"....so lacking experience in a particular industry segment, one should limit their opinion to facts as opposed to raw opinions.

Cyanide a National Spokesman for "tanker yankers"?? He gets my vote
8) He knows what he is talking about, and backs its with pure facts. And I personally know that to be truth. He and I have known each other for a long time.

Am I "condescending" to you....NO! Just offering some "food for thought".
8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Well skywalker if I recall correctly, Carlo convinced you to pull food grade, hence the reason for my prior remark.

Obviously I'm outnumbered here and am weary of trying to give people facts for nothing. I'm happy at Crete and that's what matters to me. I'll continue to follow your thread and may consider Aartman someday (since they got bought by Ruan).

Just a piece of advice for anyone who doesn't have a CDL and is entering the trucking world.

When you get out here in the real world and start talking to your co-workers (we're all brothers even if our trucks are different color) You're going to meet people who know everything and have all the answers, and if you argue with them then you're an idiot automatically.

Like I said earlier, it's harder for someone to admit that they're in a bad situation and someone else just might have it better then you. It's much easier to give advice rather then to take it.

Remember, Arguing with a truck driver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud... sooner or later you realize he enjoys it.

Now I gotta get on over to Dallas, TX from here in beautiful Orangeburg, SC. 1029 miles x .96cpm + .26 FSC + 70 dh miles from Augusta x .67= $1302.28 This load is 12k pounds so I'll be able to get 6.8 mpg easily, so aprox 161 gallons of diesel with my discount I estimate $2.70 /gal, so fuel is $434.70. So I made $867.58 after fuel on this load. Not bad for a day and a half of work.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Prodigy"]Well skywalker if I recall correctly, Carlo convinced you to pull food grade, hence the reason for my prior remark. [/b]

Actually....I have never pulled "food grade". Though at one time, I did consider it, and yes...I considered Aartman, because neither Oakley, Indian River, Bynum, or North American gave me any "warm fuzzies". And the only reason I really considered Aartman was because of Carlo's longevity there.

Quote:
Obviously I'm outnumbered here and am weary of trying to give people facts for nothing.
The facts...as you call them, while they might support your reasoning for doing what you are doing....they fail to override the truths and realities of what Carlo and I have said.

Quote:
I'm happy at Crete and that's what matters to me. I'll continue to follow your thread and may consider Aartman someday (since they got bought by Ruan).
Your being happy at Crete....is what is most important....and that is how it is for all of us. If you should ever become disenchanted with them, you might want to consider Aartman. But from my viewpoint....you would be making a mistake not to look seriously at a company like Superior. Maybe if you spent some time talking to Superior's Drivers about the issues that concern you....you might feel differently.

Quote:
Just a piece of advice for anyone who doesn't have a CDL and is entering the trucking world.

When you get out here in the real world and start talking to your co-workers (we're all brothers even if our trucks are different color) You're going to meet people who know everything and have all the answers, and if you argue with them then you're an idiot automatically.
Actually....you are right on some points, however, I have never viewed this as an argument...and I don't consider you an "idiot", automatically or otherwise. You are obviously more intelligent than most one encounters in this industry.... You were smart enough to get with Crete...and when you elected to do your ownership gig....you stayed with Crete....and didn't fall for the rip-off scams alot of companies push.

Yes, many in this industry profess to know everything, and I encounter them myself, as does Carlo....but where he and I are concerned...we can back up our facts with proof. We've both been at it a long time now, and shoveling BS is not what we are in the habit of doing.

Quote:
Like I said earlier, it's harder for someone to admit that they're in a bad situation and someone else just might have it better then you. It's much easier to give advice rather then to take it.
This is true.

Quote:
Remember, Arguing with a truck driver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud... sooner or later you realize he enjoys it.
This too is very true.

Quote:
Now I gotta get on over to Dallas, TX from here in beautiful Orangeburg, SC. 1029 miles x .96cpm + .26 FSC + 70 dh miles from Augusta x .67= $1302.28 This load is 12k pounds so I'll be able to get 6.8 mpg easily, so aprox 161 gallons of diesel with my discount I estimate $2.70 /gal, so fuel is $434.70. So I made $867.58 after fuel on this load. Not bad for a day and a half of work.
Have you figured your FICA, SSAN, Medicare taxes, fuel taxes, property taxes, , truck payment %, insurance payment % on that amount, and other costs? It would be interesting to see what your "actual net" would be when your "gross" is properly adjusted.

I would get $411.60 +$20.00 + $20.00 +any other detention incurred, which depending on the product is likely, highly likely to happen. So my gross would be a minimum of $450.60. After taxes and all, on that figure I'd be at about $390.00 without being concerned about any other expenses other than food. My health insurance cost is $37.00 a week.

To each his own, and thats how it will always be

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 04-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Thank you very much Prodigy...

Quote:
I'll continue to follow your thread and may consider Aartman someday (since they got bought by Ruan).
That statement alone speaks volumes. In all seriousness, and all debating aside, if you ever have any questions please feel free to email or pm me. You know I won't b.s. you or steer you in a wrong direction. :wink:

You be safe out there and have fun...I know I am :lol: :P!!!

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 04-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Me either... 8)

Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Rookie

after reading all 3 pages I`m glad I applyed with Crete,many good words on this forum about that company (what I can`t say for CR England) and also I see that pulling tanks is an option in future.Food grade tanks tho,I think I`ll stay away from chemicals.However,thanks guys for a good debate,be safe and have a good day.

JJ
Old 05-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Can anyone give me any good companies i should look at

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreeze36
i have talked to so many companies in the last 3 days good grief west side seems to b alright but western express im trying to figure out how in world u can bring home 1000 a week in 5 days unless u r illegal on 31/mile aint quite right so if anyone knows 1 let me know

We are looking for expedited freight drivers. We have several CARGO vans available and there are no log books to keep. Very competative pay!! Fuel cards provided.

Call Elliott IV Trucking at 815-545-6496
Old 05-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Can anyone give me any good companies i should look at

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliott
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreeze36
i have talked to so many companies in the last 3 days good grief west side seems to b alright but western express im trying to figure out how in world u can bring home 1000 a week in 5 days unless u r illegal on 31/mile aint quite right so if anyone knows 1 let me know

We are looking for expedited freight drivers. We have several CARGO vans available and there are no log books to keep. Very competative pay!! Fuel cards provided.

Call ********* Trucking at ***-***-****
I hope you enjoyed your short stay here. Buh Bye.