User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 03:51 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Rev.Vassago= quick word with you and fellow HHG haulers

I have seen in recent posts that some of you are working around 7 months per year and making 150k plus per year. I was wondering what are you hauling, and are you out for those 5-7 months steady? Or do you guys get back to ''home-base'' on a timely schedule.

Reason I ask is that I am signing on to a company that hauls for SYSCO foods and I always leave my options open.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:11 AM
Board Icon
Default Re: Rev.Vassago= quick word with you and fellow HHG haulers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJParker
I have seen in recent posts that some of you are working around 7 months per year and making 150k plus per year. I was wondering what are you hauling, and are you out for those 5-7 months steady? Or do you guys get back to ''home-base'' on a timely schedule.

Reason I ask is that I am signing on to a company that hauls for SYSCO foods and I always leave my options open.
We move people's stuff from one house to another. Unlike the other guys, I usually stay out 1 1/2 - 2 months at a time, and then go home for at least 2 weeks.

Last year I drove about 55,000 miles, and made just over $182,000. I had 16 weeks of home time (I was off all of September, and all of December). My shortest period of home time was 2 weeks.

I also have more expenses than a regular freight hauler. I spent over $40,000 last year on labor. My claims are pretty decent, so I only had about 2.1% claims ratio last year, which equates to about $6000 - $8000 in claims. That is pretty low for the amount that I hauled (I hauled about $475,000 in gross linehaul last year, and about 2.1% of that $475,000 in linehaul resulted in claims).

About half our money comes in the summer months - from the end of May until the beginning of September.

It's a whole lot of work, but it can be rewarding if you know what you are doing, and can manage your money.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Board Regular

What made want to do HHG Rev?? Money sounds good, but seems like more headaches than anything else.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.
What made want to do HHG Rev?? Money sounds good, but seems like more headaches than anything else.
It is a lot of headaches at times, but I think it is more rewarding than regular freight. You get to work more hands-on with the customers, and they appreciate the job you are doing for them. I hated bumping docks, and didn't care for dealing with shippers and receivers that could care less if I lived or died.

But, the tradeoff is more paperwork, more hassles, and more costs. You have to be EXCELLENT at customer service (and hand holding) to do HHG. It isn't all about lifting heavy sofas.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Something I have wondered about the HHG business.

Does interest rates play a big part on how much HHG freight there is to move? Has HHG freight picked up in the last couple years since interest rates have been lower and will the freight fall off a bit since rates are going back up? Or does it really not have much effect on the freight?

Old 03-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
Something I have wondered about the HHG business.

Does interest rates play a big part on how much HHG freight there is to move? Has HHG freight picked up in the last couple years since interest rates have been lower and will the freight fall off a bit since rates are going back up? Or does it really not have much effect on the freight?
Yes they do. The housing market has entered a slump, and loads are down from last year. This particular slump is supposed to last until 2009, at which time the loads will likely pick up.

A lot of it has to do with the economy in general. If the economy is slow, then companies aren't relocating people as much.

Our rates don't decline, though. They are set by the government. Discounts do increase, though, but I am protected against that with the lease I have with my company.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Rookie

Wow, 40k in labor? Does this or Did this come off the top??? or did your company pay this.

I have/had the impression that you hauled electronics/ trade show type freight.
I was thinking about the same type of work because like you said, you need to be very good with people. I have been told that I am very good with people, but the down fall was the schedule that you keep. I would imagine that being out on the road for that amount of time would contitute a whole new stratagy.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJParker
Wow, 40k in labor? Does this or Did this come off the top??? or did your company pay this.
This comes out of my pocket. Actually, after speaking with my accountant today, the number was more like $35,000.

Quote:
I have/had the impression that you hauled electronics/ trade show type freight.
I don't do it, but some HHG haulers do. It doesn't pay as well as HHG, and it is greater mileage. I would rather drive less.

Quote:
I was thinking about the same type of work because like you said, you need to be very good with people. I have been told that I am very good with people, but the down fall was the schedule that you keep. I would imagine that being out on the road for that amount of time would contitute a whole new stratagy.
It takes some getting used to. If you aren't patient, then this business isn't for you. It requires a greater amount of patience than you could ever believe to deal with it. But the payoff can be worth it.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:21 AM

Not sure why, but I'm convinced I could find my niche with the good o'l dry van, and make similar money with *ahem* slightly higher mileage. But HHG has always apealed to me. But I'm thinking just for the money... and I've found out sometimes the money just isn't worth what ever agravations you may face on a day to day basis.

How does one get in the biz rev? Me as an example, 6+ yrs behind the wheel, with no HHG experience at all.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Rookie

You could try North American Van Lines. I think they have a training program..... as far as I can tell by looking at their web site. Don't know what they're like to work for though.