LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001
REV.

I was wondering is there a fixed price for the labor u hire?
We are required to pay at least $12 an hour, with a 4 hour minimum, plus one way travel to the job site. I usually pay $15 an hour, and no travel time.

Quote:
also does your truck have to be a certain color?
Yes. At Graebel, the truck has to be at least 80% white, and the only other colors allowed (other than in the lettering) is red and blue. Most of the other HHG companies also have requirements as to the truck color. Some are not as strict as others. Graebel is very strict. We get our trucks photographed twice a year to make sure we are complying.

Quote:
why did u choose your company over the other HHG companies out there? just curious
A lot of it has to do with reputation. Graebel is considered one of the more "exclusive" van lines. Their I/C requirements are a lot stricter than many of the other van lines.

Graebel also has discount protection, which I believe none of the other van lines has. About 87% of our moves are corporate contract moves, which helps to guarantee a better stream of work. A lot of the other van lines rely more on COD moves, which can fluctuate greatly.

All in all, I am happy with Graebel, and doubt I would switch to another van line. I've talked to many Graebel I/C's who left for other van lines, and returned soon afterward.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
Quote:
I've argued it until I was blue in the face
I don't blame ya, I wouldn't like that either. I guess their saving money by making you assume the risk, especially at 10%. Do a lot of guys get injured on the job?
Yes and no. I've had guys get injured, but I've only had one try to file a workman's comp claim on me (luckily, he didn't supply a valid name and SSN on his labor receipt, so he couldn't prove that I had hired him).

The business is very rough on the body. You don't see many old movers. To be honest, I don't really know how many years I'll be able to do this before I won't be capable of working so hard, and will have to rely on my labor more. The more I rely on my labor, the higher my claims ratio will likely be.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You don't see many old movers.
Funny you should say that, when I first started in construction (age 17)I was a drywall hanger, and while I got really good and fast at it, and made good money piece working, I never saw any older guys doing it. I knew I had to get smarter or suffer the consequences. :lol:

Quote:
To be honest, I don't really know how many years I'll be able to do this before I won't be capable of working so hard, and will have to rely on my labor more.
Well, I don't know about you, but for me trying to transition from working everyday with my tools on beside my guys, to more of a management position even if only a few days a week, is hard. I guess it's kind of a part of you that's hard to let go, just doesn't feel right. Good luck to you on that one, it might be totally different for you though.

Quote:
The more I rely on my labor, the higher my claims ratio will likely be.
Definitely true.

How are the claims handled? do you pay out of pocket or do you have insurance to cover it? Also, what if someone files a claim after your gone, who follows up on that to make sure there's no fraud? and who has the burden of proof so to speak?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Board Regular

Since this is about bedbuggers, how in the world do you get those huge sleepers in some of these residential areas? I've been in some with a 28 ft pup and little city truck, trying to not run over the shrubs and see a bedbugger with the apartment style sleeper in there and no tire marks in the grass?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
How are the claims handled? do you pay out of pocket or do you have insurance to cover it? Also, what if someone files a claim after your gone, who follows up on that to make sure there's no fraud? and who has the burden of proof so to speak?
We have a claims department that deals with them. A customer files a claim, and a third party service is sent out to inspect the item. If the third party service determines that the item was likely damaged by us, then it is up to the claims department to determine who was responsible (for example, a vase that was packed by the packing crew is broken, but the carton is undamaged - the packing crew is responsible for the claim). If I am found to be responsible by the claims department, then I have several chances to dispute the claim. The first dispute, it is re-looked at by the claims department. The second dispute, it goes to a committee that makes a decision. The third dispute, it goes to the head of the claims department, who makes a final decision that cannot be overturned.

If I am found liable, then the money is taken out of my account. Fraud with claims is rampant throughout the moving trade, but there are measures in place to try to keep it at a minimum. From time to time, we get customers who file claims on the same items every time they move. Since we keep records of the claims, it is pretty easy to stop those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedawg
Since this is about bedbuggers, how in the world do you get those huge sleepers in some of these residential areas?
Very carefully. :lol:

Quote:
I've been in some with a 28 ft pup and little city truck, trying to not run over the shrubs and see a bedbugger with the apartment style sleeper in there and no tire marks in the grass?
Since we do it all the time, we know the tricks to getting in and out of tight spaces. I've put my truck into some very tight spaces - to the point that I had difficulty getting out. If a residence is just plain impossible to get into, we shuttle everything with a U-Haul type truck. The guys who have the monster sleepers claim that it isn't too much harder to get in and out with them. After all, the difference between my 70" sleeper and a 140" sleeper is less than 6 feet. You'd be surprised where you can put a big truck with a little imagination.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for answering the questions Rev. If you're ever in the Baltimore area let me know, crab cakes on me. 8)
Old 03-25-2007, 05:17 AM

REV.

Thanks alot for the information. I was wondering does Graebel train I notice looking at there site that some of the agents are looking for O/O and trainee? IF they do what would be in the training?

thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001
REV.

Thanks alot for the information. I was wondering does Graebel train I notice looking at there site that some of the agents are looking for O/O and trainee? IF they do what would be in the training?

thanks
I honestly couldn't tell you. Your best bet would be to call the agent.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Board Member

One more thing Rev, how long is it from delivery to payment on that load?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
One more thing Rev, how long is it from delivery to payment on that load?
With Graebel, I've got my money about 72 hours after they receive my paperwork. Sometimes a bit sooner, sometimes a bit longer (it all depends on the corporate account, and whether the load is being audited).

So, if I deliver on Monday, and send the paperwork in that evening before UPS picks up, I'll have my money probably by Thursday some time.